Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a silver spoon and fork stamped ORUBA silver...I am wondering if they came from the SS Oruba? I have searched Google and found there were two ORUBA's. 1 ended up as a breakwater the other was sold to Jugoslavenska Lloyd and renamed Princess Olga. I can't find out anything about that company or ship. Any suggestions?? Vix

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dom said:
try google, type oruba silver dom
Done that, that was how I found out about the ORUBA in the first place. Vix

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Hello Vix,

SS Oroya

Pacific Steam Navigation Company

Oruba (1) Built 1889. 5,852 tons. 1890 transferred to Orient Line Australia service, 1906 ownership transferred to Royal Mail SP Co.
1914 sold to Admiralty became dummy battleship HMS Orion 1915 scuttled at Mudros as breakwater.

Royal Mail Steam Packet Company / Royal Mail Lines Limited

Oruba (2) 1904. 6,795 tons, ex- Marathon, 1920 purchased from Aberdeen Line renamed Oruba, 1922 transferred to Pacific Steam Nav. Co. Scrapped in 1924.

Some info and pics here:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Orient1.html#anchor448059

Rgds

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hugh MacLean said:
Hello Vix, SS Oroya
Pacific Steam Navigation Company
Oruba (1) Built 1889. 5,852 tons. 1890 transferred to Orient Line Australia service, 1906 ownership transferred to Royal Mail SP Co.
1914 sold to Admiralty became dummy battleship HMS Orion 1915 scuttled at Mudros as breakwater.
Royal Mail Steam Packet Company / Royal Mail Lines Limited
Oruba (2) 1904. 6,795 tons, ex- Marathon, 1920 purchased from Aberdeen Line renamed Oruba, 1922 transferred to Pacific Steam Nav. Co. Scrapped in 1924. Some info and pics here:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/Orient1.html#anchor448059
Rgds
Thanks for that Hugh. Vix (Thumb)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found more of Oruba's forks

Hi Vix,

found your comment on Google and just joined the forum to tell you my story. Last month I was fossicking around the shoreline of Motuihe Island in Auckland's Hauraki Gulf and found a couple of old forks and a spoon. They were obviously old and in pretty bad shape but I was taken by the delicacy of the design. The forks had long slender prongs. I passed them over to the local island restoration volunteers who are collecting anything heritage related. Their trust chairman contacted me last week to say they had cleaned up the artifacts and discovered the name 'Oruba' stamped on one of the forks. They are getting my finds mounted for display. He had a feeling that the Oruba came through Auckland in around 1894

·
Registered
124 Posts
silver

I recently bought a silver spoon and fork stamped ORUBA silver...I am wondering if they came from the SS Oruba? I have searched Google and found there were two ORUBA's. 1 ended up as a breakwater the other was sold to Jugoslavenska Lloyd and renamed Princess Olga. I can't find out anything about that company or ship. Any suggestions?? Vix
oruba silver means that it is silver plate

1 - 7 of 7 Posts