Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Ciao, I know but i am not a seaman only a passioned of merchant ship ,built 1949 by Cammel laird very similar to SUEVIC ,you'll surely find someone of those time!!!! (*))
Gp

·
Super Moderator
6,624 Posts
Afternoon, have just posted picture of Persic in my Gallery. The file is too big to attach here. She was transferred to Royal Mail in 1969 and renamed Derwent.
Hawkey01

·
Registered
848 Posts
i was never in the persic but sailed in suevic also i did the last voyage of the south american saint line in the saint essylt great little ship i had a mate on the illyric i think it was who sailed on the st john also took shaw savills athenic to the breakers sailed in numerous vessels in my 12 years at sea i took it all for granted be lucky mate

·
Registered
573 Posts
Colin, in my book all things Shaw Swivvel, Persic 1949-1969, Built Cammel Laird Birkenhead< cost £1.4 million, sisters Suevic and Runic, Transferred to Royal Mail and broken up in Spain 1971, as a matter or interest Runic wrecked on a reef off Queensland and is still visable. And i came home DBS on the Suevic. TREVOR (Applause)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trevor page said:
Colin, in my book all things Shaw Swivvel, Persic 1949-1969, Built Cammel Laird Birkenhead< cost £1.4 million, sisters Suevic and Runic, Transferred to Royal Mail and broken up in Spain 1971, as a matter or interest Runic wrecked on a reef off Queensland and is still visable. And i came home DBS on the Suevic. TREVOR (Applause)

hi trevor cheers i got my shipping list places i didnt know i went to on it. colin (Applause)

·
Registered
10 Posts
joe

newnhamcolin said:
anyone remember the persic 9/11/60----4/5/61 my last ship
Certainly do remember the Persic before she hit the reef. I was on the Suevic in 1958.Regards ,joe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi james

James Moir said:
Colin
I well remember the Persic, as in '62 to late '65 I was 1st Lecky on her. When were you there.
Jim Moir.
you were on the persic just after me.i was on her 9/11/60 untill4/5/61 .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Persic History

Hi Colin
Some time back I visited the shawsavillships.co.uk website, and noted from looking at info. on Persic that she rescued the complete crew of the sinking Panamanian cargo ship "Pan Ocean" in the Med. between Cyprus and Crete in 1958. All the time I was on her, I never heard anyone mention this happening, which I now find strange. As you were on her nearer that time did you ever hear of this event, as it must have been a dramatic talking point for some time. Also she was the ss Persic, not mv.
Jim M.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Persic

Hi Colin, I was on the Persic from March 1960 to August 1960, with a trip down under. If I remember, it was one of my more pleasant voyages. Best Regards Bernie Cleveland

·
Registered
55 Posts
Persic/Runic

I remember the Persic well but I remember the Runic even better, I was deckboy on the Cretic berthed in Brisbane (1960 I think )when word came through that the Runic was aground on Middleton Reef. We loaded a lot of gear, large blocks and anchors etc plus a load of stores and sailed to the reef. We rigged twenty ton gear on the derricks at no. two hatch and, after working all night, discharged everything on to a tug that had arrived from Sydney, she in turn took it all to the Runic. However it was all in vain and her remains are still there today
Chris

1 - 20 of 44 Posts