Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i'm looking for information about my uncle's first ship, she was the Saint Line( Liverpool) Ltd. (rankin & Gilmour?) steamer, SS St. Oswald can any body help?

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
dredgermate said:
hi i'm looking for information about my uncle's first ship, she was the Saint Line( Liverpool) Ltd. (rankin & Gilmour?) steamer, SS St. Oswald can any body help?
A couple of bits of info for you

Saint Line Ltd.
Saint Line Ltd. Had its origins with Pollok, Gilmour & Co. of 1804 with their shipping interests in 1861 being placed under Rankin, Gilmour & Co. using a "Saint" nomenclature and operating as the British & Foreign S.S. Co. Ltd. which was replaced in 1919 by the Saint Line Ltd. which continued to operate after Rankin, Gilmour ceased c.1929-1930 shifting from Liverpool to London in 1934 and shortly afterwards coming under Mitchell Cotts & Co. Ltd. [or Mitchell, Cotts & Co. Ltd. as sources differ as to whether "Mitchell" was a 1st or surname] though it is not clear whether this was as owners as well as operators.
The blue flag with map of Africa is that of Mitchell, Cotts & Co. Ltd. with the letters being "M" over "C". Although they had a long involvement with shipping this with Saint Line Ltd. is the only recorded use of their flag that I have come across and according to an article in the December 1969 Marine News its use did not occur until well after WW2 keeping in mind that Saint Line ceased as a shipowner in 1962. Mitchell Cotts was itself an international conglomerate based in London with later the UK parent being bought out and the group becoming localized [still operating especially in South Africa and Kenya] with the fate of the flag unknown.

http://www.virtualsask.com/barry/index.html

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Saint Line

I joined the Cape Saint David in Venice in 1959 and later transfered to the Saint Dunstan until Mitchell Cotts wound up in 1962. At that time they had the Saint Bernard and the Saint Gregory. I was apprentice at that time and transfered to Watts Watts to complete my four years. A book to read is 8 bells and topmasts by Christopher Lee. I am still afloat almost 50 years later|

1 - 5 of 5 Posts