Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stag Line 1817 - 1983 An exhibition of the last Ship Owner in North Shields 26th March to 30th April Old Low Light Heritage Centre, Cliffords Fort, North Shields Fish Quay 1000 to 1600 each day.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Enjoyed looking at the Stag Line exhibition. Although I never sailed on the Photinia, really enjoyed the 26 minute film about the cable laying between North & South Island, NZ. That alone was well worth the trip up from North Yorkshire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,just saw this about Stag Line.Does anyone remember my Father in law,a Chief Stwd called John Groves,originally from Tiger Bay Cardiff but married and settled in Hull (passed away in the early 90's) Think he was on the Begonia and Xinnia.Love to hear any old yarns- he was a character.His wife and daughters travelled with him in the school hols i've heard and had a great time with crew and officers.....Regards

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sailed with John a number of times, on the Camellia and Zinnia. Great bloke and a real character. May have some photos, will post if I can find them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,just saw this about Stag Line.Does anyone remember my Father in law,a Chief Stwd called John Groves,originally from Tiger Bay Cardiff but married and settled in Hull (passed away in the early 90's) Think he was on the Begonia and Xinnia.Love to hear any old yarns- he was a character.His wife and daughters travelled with him in the school hols i've heard and had a great time with crew and officers.....Regards
Hi
yes I remember John and his wife and 2 kids.I think their names are Natalie and Melanie. John was a character and a half and immensely likeable. I was apprentice and crossed the line when he was chief steward. I learnt never to play poker with him lol. I have very fond memories of him and his family who sailed over to santos with us. I do remember he lived in Beverly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts