Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Robert said:
Seeking Info On This Company Plus Any X Crew Members Who Worked On These Ships Rob
Enter "Stag Line" in the Search Forums of this site and quite a few mentions of the company and former employees (including myself, very briefly) come up. There is also a direction to a Stag Line website belonging to 'Oceantramp'.
Enjoy.

John T.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Robert said:
Seeking Info On This Company Plus Any X Crew Members Who Worked On These Ships Rob
Robert

9 years with Staggies 1969 t0 1978 vessels sailed on Zinnia,Ixia,Photinia and Gloxinia
Rgds Gdynia

·
Registered
278 Posts
I knew a Capt-Reekie with Stag Line he came from a place he called the East Nook or Neuk,I heard from sources that he passed away about four or five years ago he must have been in his nineties

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
janbonde said:
I knew a Capt-Reekie with Stag Line he came from a place he called the East Nook or Neuk,I heard from sources that he passed away about four or five years ago he must have been in his nineties
Janblonde

Capt Reekie was my first Master in 1969, he was near retirement age then. He was from the Fife coast and his famous saying was "Thats an awful lot of money for a young man" when you asked him for a cash advance. He was a real character.
Rgds Gdynia

·
Registered
40 Posts
I joined Stag Line in 1972 as a navigating cadet until transferred to Huntings and James Fishers (takeovers) and eventually made redundant in 1983.
Ships sailed on were Gloxinia, Ixia, Zinnia, Photinia (New Zealand 1977) and Begonia.

Have lost contact with all those sailed with.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Robert said:
Hi! Robert I've posted a shot, today, of the stag Line office & rest in gallery Ports & Harbours. (Thumb)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ocean Tramp , checked out your web site ,some great photos taken in the Nort Atlantic,respect! (Thumb)

Firey

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello,

I was at South Shields Marine and Tech with a couple of blokes from Stag line, one I think by the name of Pete Cowley.This was in the 1970's

We all had long hair in those days.

I remember watching the Zinnia come into the Tyne and all the girls in the offices waving things at the ship...might even have been 'under garments'.

Was it true that when they came into the Tyne they painted the Starb'd side of the ship only as this was the only side that could bee seen from the Stag Line offices?

Good memories.

All the best
Steve Mills........I worked for Common Brothers by the way.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
i have a photo of the PHOTINIA in KING GEORGE DOCK HULL with all her cable laying gear on the bow i dont know if she was just going to lay the cable or she had just finished but she had just discharged a full cargo of grain so she must have done a trip with the gear still on sam

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
sfmillsy said:
Hello,

I was at South Shields Marine and Tech with a couple of blokes from Stag line, one I think by the name of Pete Cowley.This was in the 1970's

We all had long hair in those days.

I remember watching the Zinnia come into the Tyne and all the girls in the offices waving things at the ship...might even have been 'under garments'.

Was it true that when they came into the Tyne they painted the Starb'd side of the ship only as this was the only side that could bee seen from the Stag Line offices?

Good memories.

All the best
Steve Mills........I worked for Common Brothers by the way.
Steve
It would of been Peter Cowling as we were both in Stag Line at the same time. There were several Common Bros cadets with us. Its only a myth the story as they would of had to paint the port side for departing or sail at night

·
Registered
119 Posts
Shows how old age can play tricks, mind you I think I did pretty well getting the name nearly right. Thanks for your post.

I have a photo of some of the guys from my course, could have been 1st mates, who used to have a kick around on the playing fields at the back of the college.

I must post it 'cos I think Pete may be on the photo.

The story about the painting is a good yarn anyway.

all the best

Steve Mills (I also worked for UASC)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I served on the "Zinnia" for a while aug to nov 1960 had two good trips on her to Nofolk VA, and up the Great lakes. I got my rate to steward on her. I would appriciate a photo of her if anyone has got a copy. Ray Woodward

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Has anyoneone sailed out of the Tyne lately, and observed the most famous Stag in the world, I have and was disgusted, the Stag is red and the background is even worse, White on Red is the order of the day. Do,s anyone know when the colours were changed? we must have an answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gardenia

sailed on the Gardinia April 1962 Tyne to Seven Islands

Hi Ron.
With being new to this web site I have been trawling through the various pages recently with particular reference to Stag Line with whom I sailed with from 1968 - 1974. I thought you may be interested in the old photograph I have of your old ship.
regards
Mike B

Attachments

1 - 20 of 102 Posts