Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for pictures from 1960 onwards

Gdynia

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Very intere (Applause) sting old ship Co.(Joseph Robinson & Co).Funnel:black with white stag on broad red band.Hull :black with red boot topping.Beginning 60s.there were 6 ships :CAMELLIA-CYDONIA-GARDENIA-GLOXINIA-PHOTINIA and ZINNIA,if i find i will put a shot of some them (Applause)
Gp

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Welcome gdynia to the site, enjoy all it has to offer, no doubt someone will come up with some photos. Ruud over to you.hse = health and safety executive.

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Ahoy Gdynia,

Well first of all,maybe you should introduce yourself, and not like you did, by just asking pictures!

but anyway:

Welcome aboard, enjoy yourself on this fine ship and her crew, as we do; looking forward to your postings.

P.S. Do have some names of the wanted pics?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
hi i have one of the GLOXINIA docked in HULL when she was converted to a carle carrier and cable layer i will dig it out and post it on the site

SAM2182SW

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is a real intresting site dedicated to Stag line with fleet list & photos here:

http://stag-line.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/index.jhtml

I was on Gloxinia in 1967, immingham bound for Cleveland via St lawrence seaway with cargo of steel coils that shifted mid Atlantic in a storm.
All hands below with snatch blocks etc to trim the dangerous list.
Worrying time. (Cloud)
Then Detroit back to Liverpool. we docked right outside the customs training centre. 30 cadets stripped the old tub. refused to pay us off untill someone owned up to 2 cartons of cigs they found. (Ouch)
Tom Harrison

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
I sailed briefly on 'Gloxinia' in the late '60s and have mentioned her elsewhere on the site. We sailed from Smiths Dock, North Shields, on New Year's Eve. Half the crew, having received a better offer from Old Acquaintances, remained ashore in the "Jungle".

An abiding memory is the ship's funnel being left behind at Eastham Locks prior to transit of the Manchester Ship Canal. Am I kidding myself about that?
Nowadays that handsome "Stag" funnel would have MUFC scrawled all over it!

At that time she was running Manchester - Durban - Santos - Manchester.

John T.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gloxinia

[John T
I was on the Gloxinias last trip and handed her over to New Owners in River Tyne a very sad day for me

Gdynia

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gloxinia

Tom
Have been in touch with the owner of this web site and received some great photos from him.I liked the old Stag Line and was very sad on its demise
Rgds Gdynia

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[Tanker
Thanks for your message Im trying to build up a folder for my 7 year old son to show him his Daddys earlier sea going days

Rgds Gdynia

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ruud said:
Ahoy Gdynia,

Ruud
Thanks your reply still at sea but now in the salvage capacity but had many happy years with the Stag Line

Rgds Neville

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SAM2182SW[/QUOTE]
Sam
thanks for message I sailed with the Stag Line for 8 years and trying to build up a folio for my inquisitive son
Rgds Gdynia

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gents

Thanks for your great response I have a very happy son of 7 years old at home the proud owner of photos received. He knows now what our Merchant Navy was like and the people who manned the vessels.

Many Thanks
Gdynia

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ruud

The photographs I am basically missing now is of Zinnia and Begonia.Had a fantastic response from Readers

Cheers Gdynia

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tom
Thanks for mail. The Zinnia I am looking for is a Stag Line vessel.I believe this picture is of a Turkish Vessel with same name but thanks for your help.
Rgds Gdynia

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
gdynia said:
[John T
I was on the Gloxinias last trip and handed her over to New Owners in River Tyne a very sad day for me

Gdynia
Was that cat still there?

Just read your profile - everyone was impressed by your efforts. Well done.

John T.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cat

John T

No the cat deserted the vessel days before but reports of a fox seen onboard in the dock by several people

1 - 20 of 95 Posts