Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been reported that an invitation has/will be extended to President Trump to visit the U.K. to celebrate the 75th anniversary of D.day during the summer.
Whither you agree with him or not is a message being quietly made to Europe that we still have a close connection with what was our greatest helper during two world wars and in getting them in Europe to work together.
Or are unseen forces at work?
Davie

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,603 Posts
More like an act of desperation to attempt to curry favour with a vainglorious buffoon in the hope he won't crap all over us too much in any post Brexit trade deal (which he will do anyway).

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
More like an act of desperation to attempt to curry favour with a vainglorious buffoon in the hope he won't crap all over us too much in any post Brexit trade deal (which he will do anyway).
18 pages of pre-conditions to a trade deal apparently including

"comprehensive access" for agricultural goods in Britain
genetically modified crops,
animal feed with antibiotics and
chlorine-washed chicken products
non application of EU safety and environmental rules.
No trade deal with Europe
No trade deal with China.

South Korea and Japan have already indicated they will demand concessions on trade in return for new deals with the United Kingdom to replace those it has as an EU member state.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
18 pages of pre-conditions to a trade deal apparently including

"comprehensive access" for agricultural goods in Britain
genetically modified crops,
animal feed with antibiotics and
chlorine-washed chicken products
non application of EU safety and environmental rules.
No trade deal with Europe
No trade deal with China.

South Korea and Japan have already indicated they will demand concessions on trade in return for new deals with the United Kingdom to replace those it has as an EU member state.
So it would be moving from one protection racket to another.
Davie

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
He's the legally elected leader of a powerful ally but off you go and cut off your noses to spite your faces.

p.s. 'Chlorine washed chicken' Pray, what do you think is used to sterilise our drinking water?

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
p.s. 'Chlorine washed chicken' Pray, what do you think is used to sterilise our drinking water?

Chlorine, commonly used in the agriculture industry to decontaminate fresh produce, can make foodborne pathogens undetectable according to new research led by the University of Southampton.

The study, titled ‘Viable but nonculturable Listeria monocytogenes and Salmonella enterica Thompson induced by chlorine stress remain infectious’ has been published in mBio, the lead journal for the American Society for Microbiology.

The study highlights an impact post-Brexit trade agreements, with countries insisting the UK import their chlorine-treated foodstuffs. This new research shows this may not actually be safe.

“This important work is a major breakthrough, after 100 years of relying on chlorine to sanitise foods and drinking water, and may explain the many unrecognised or untraceable disease outbreaks relying on the gold standard of culture recovery,” said lead author Professor Bill Keevil, Head of the Microbiology Group at the University of Southampton.

“It will likely impact on post-Brexit trade agreements with countries insisting the UK import their chlorine-treated foodstuffs which this new work shows may not actually be safe because the sanitisation does not kill any bacterial pathogens present that are still capable of causing disease. One example is chlorine treated chicken carcasses.”

Still, what do they know; they're only 'experts'?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can someone educate me please on this chlorine problem. Is it only used on goods to be exported to the U.K. or is it the process used for all chickens for consumption at home in the US as well.
Davie

·
Registered
14,250 Posts

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
So it would be moving from one protection racket to another.
Davie
The notable difference being that we are/were inside one that protected us from this nonsense and now we are defenseless against it

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
The notable difference being that we are/were inside one that protected us from this nonsense and now we are defenseless against it
You are forgetting "The Special Relationship."

On the bright side, this visit comes at an opportune moment for Britain to curry (no pun intended) favour with His Magnificence by handing Julian Assange over to him, thus allowing him to return in triumph with his trophy.

·
Premium Member
10,425 Posts
But Trump is thought to be pro Assange for the help wickedleaks gave to his election campaign. What I am worried about is that his cat is being well and happily cared-for.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
re: In post # 12 Samsette keyed: "Curry favour with His Magnificence by handing Julian Assange over to him."

GOOD Idea!

Then Trunp can bring his good buddy Julian back on Air Force One?

--------------

re: Food - Diet

Born in 1940 I was raised eating meat potatoes and vegetables. With the possible exception of mid-summer, the veggies came out of a grocery store tin can.

Living on the Left Coast since January 1972 I have been exposed to a lot more eating options but I remained steadfast until recently. Recent times it seems that daily there are warnings about contaminated foods from all over the US. The contamination is noticed because people begin to die.

Have you heard about Free Range? This is one of the latest marketing schemes for all foods. Drive Interstate 5 north in the California Central Valley. You will smell it, before you can see it. Alongside on your right for two miles will be "free range" beef on the hoof.

The beef industry may market it as free range but actually it is line after line of feed troughs disappearing to the east. Beef are lined up on both sides of this automated moving belt feeding system. The beefs' head is clamped in place so all they can do is stand there and eat and eliminate. Elimination is all over the place smell it? These used to be called feed lots?

Anyway as of 2015 I find myself on an all plant based diet. And I do I feel good. When I get up in the morning, you better not get between me and my bathroom.

Check out this - you will find all the usual suspects follow California this on motor vehicle clean air programs:

https://mde.maryland.gov/programs/air/mobilesources/pages/states.aspx

California voters approved, in our most recent election, to require the size of the cages that chickens live in to be doubled. Compared to the standard set two years before also by the voting populace. It seems California tries in some ways but not all ways at least not yet.

---------

Due to our custom summer gasoline blend it is only produced in California for California. According to:

https://www.energy.ca.gov/almanac/petroleum_data/refineries.html

California has twelve refineries that produce gasoline. Right now four of the twelve are shut down due to fires. The price of gasoline is rapidly rising. There are times I wonder if these fires are accidental? Shut down refineries and watch the price of gas skyrocket. Do gasoline refineries in your areas have fire problems?

Greg Hayden

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Yes, Trump sang Wikileaks praises during the election campaign but, that was a long time ago. Exposing American war crimes is not something that will be easily forgotten.

Maybe Pamela Anderson will adopt the cat.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is standard practice in the US.

Perhaps you would like to read this, it is very informative.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/mar/06/us-chlorinated-chicken-trade-deal-agriculture
Many thanks Pat, still not sure about cleanliness when it comes to any meat.
Seem to remember an uproar some months ago about how chicken was treated at a factory in the UK.
Is it not the case if any meat is cooked properly then the problem is much reduced.
Davie

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You are forgetting "The Special Relationship."

On the bright side, this visit comes at an opportune moment for Britain to curry (no pun intended) favour with His Magnificence by handing Julian Assange over to him, thus allowing him to return in triumph with his trophy.
Sorry can’t see any bright side as you suggest.
We hauled him out of the embassy where he has resided for god knows for far to long where he has been fed and watered. This is after we have spent millions on the constabulary watching that he did not abscond.
Now ensconced in one of her Maj hotels at our expense while if news to be believed he will fight extradition to the US.
You could argue we are saving money on the constabulary but paying for his upkeep at the hotel.
His legal team must be rubbing their hands on what looks as if could be a long drawn out process.
Davie

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Many thanks Pat, still not sure about cleanliness when it comes to any meat.
Seem to remember an uproar some months ago about how chicken was treated at a factory in the UK.
Is it not the case if any meat is cooked properly then the problem is much reduced.
Davie
Well cooking properly will kill the bacteria, but will not destroy the toxins already produced by that bacteria. Far better to have properly reared chickens which are free from infection in the first place(Thumb)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well cooking properly will kill the bacteria, but will not destroy the toxins already produced by that bacteria. Far better to have properly reared chickens which are free from infection in the first place(Thumb)
Thanks again Pat, can’t fault your solution.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Sorry can’t see any bright side as you suggest.
We hauled him out of the embassy where he has resided for god knows for far to long where he has been fed and watered. This is after we have spent millions on the constabulary watching that he did not abscond.
Now ensconced in one of her Maj hotels at our expense while if news to be believed he will fight extradition to the US.
You could argue we are saving money on the constabulary but paying for his upkeep at the hotel.
His legal team must be rubbing their hands on what looks as if could be a long drawn out process.
Davie
Personally, I hope it will be a very short process, finding the American charges insufficient for extraditing him to the US. That might satisfy your concern about the costs brought about by his presence in your fair land. But, listening to your PM, her MPs and some British media mouthpieces, I fear he can expect no quarter from your lot.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/04/11/free-julian-assange-and-all-political-prisoners/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts