Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tug in middle is the GOWER. (1905 - 1955 ish)

The mast on this tug is stepped immediately in front of the funnel. This is the only one that I can find like this one. Other features seem to match.

The near tug? Can't match this one. Looks like three words in the name. Might be two words. Anyhow, I can find a match.

Here is photo of GOWER.

View attachment 692349

Stephen
Thanks Stephen: Good detection.

Great photo of Gower

Regards, Mervyn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree Swansea and the tugs are those of the Alexandra Towing Company although I can't identify them individually as I have little or no expertise with tugs. The tanker is not the Kate Maersk, the funnel markings are not those of A. P. Moller. Rather they are those of the Cephalonian Maritime Co Ltd., (Lykiardopoulos N. D. & G. Z.), and given the very clear name on her stern I suggest the ship is the KATE N.L. of that company. Built in 1943 as the T2-SE-A1 tanker GRANDE RONDE by Kaiser, Swan Island. Purchased in 1948 by the Cephalonian Maritime Co Ltd and renamed KATE N.L. she was sold in 1960 to Leitch Tpt Ltd of Canada & renamed HILDA MARJANNE. She was lengthened & widened, 221.6/217.1 x 23.0m, 16628gt/23000dw & cv to bulk carrier in 1961 and broken up in Canada in 1984.

Alastair
Brilliant investigation work, Alistair
Photo of the Hilda Marjanne, ex Kate N.L., ex. Grande Ronde at Hamburg in 1960, shortly after being purchased from the Cephalonian Maritime Co Ltd.

Alastair
View attachment 692353
Well impressed!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Fascinating thread guys, really enjoyable, I've got cousins in Swansea but not been near the docks, are they still there or turned into apartments? ;)
The story of the Kate.NL tick my curiosity so off I went into the googlesphere, wow, what a history, bits of her had a working life of near 65 years, they must have used good steel back in 1943 in the Kaiser yards in Oregon. The last 40 years in fresh water would have helped I guess.
Steve.
Calling all Detectives:

Amazing tracking of an old WW2 stalwart. The powers of freshwater for a long life eh?

Thanks for your attention to detail but be on standby, I will be digging out an old tramp-ship that might require your investigative skills.

Happy Days, Mervyn

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Mervyn,

Was coal the king? I wonder. How many tugs, like shown in the photo, may have been converted to oil fired boilers?

Stephen
Hello Stephen:
Yes, I see your point but was thinking of the cargoes going out of South Wates at the time of the postcard.

How about this Liverpool scene?
Water Boat Sky Vehicle Watercraft

The tug in the foreground is Alexandra; any views on the Cock Tug and/or the Ellerman vessel????

Regards, Mervyn
Water Boat Sky Vehicle Watercraft

1 - 10 of 10 Posts