Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anybody complains about my filename. I know it's not a clipper ship it's just a generic name I use for sailing thingies.

The barque is the Killoran and there are a few sites that have good information about her but if anyone wants to add their pennyworth they're quite welcome. (Thumb)

My main concern is with the vessel to the left. It seems to have exceptionally low decks WRT the fo'c'sle.

I promise that I have in no way "fiddled" with this pic and have absolutely no idea of the vessel's identity. I should imagine, judging by the level of expertise out there, that I will have my answer well before this goes to a 2nd page.

Help! (Ouch) Please! :sweat:

Attachments

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

was it isherwoods?/correct spelling?trunk steamers that were built like this,maybe late 20s early 30s

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I am certain this is a trunk deck steamer that will have been built by Ropner's in the early 1900's. I am not an expert but what little I know recalls that they were built to reduce tonnage charges and also to improve the handling of bulk cargoes. They were a very popular tramp ship design for 15 or 20 years.

I have no real idea what company it is though.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
I have now dug out Ships in Focus Record, volume 1 issue 3 and the ship and funnel look remarkably similar to ss ATHANASIOS of Cephalonian Maritime of Greece. The ship is shown on page 158 if you have the issue and the funnel and ship similarities are striking. If it is her she was built in 1907 for Cardigan Steam Ship Co of Cardiff and wrecked in March 1944 in Japan when named HOKKO MARU.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Tony Selman said:
I have now dug out Ships in Focus Record, volume 1 issue 3 and the ship and funnel look remarkably similar to ss ATHANASIOS of Cephalonian Maritime of Greece. The ship is shown on page 158 if you have the issue and the funnel and ship similarities are striking. If it is her she was built in 1907 for Cardigan Steam Ship Co of Cardiff and wrecked in March 1944 in Japan when named HOKKO MARU.
Tony

I agree.
The photo shown on this thread is definitely a "Trunk-Decker", not a "Turret."
Cephalonian Maritime was a Lykiardopulo company.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts