Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Browsing through old docs the other day, came across my Steering Cert (MV Falaba 1967) which confirmed my steering a ship having a gross tonnage of 100 tons or more for over ten hours.
My question to all of you guys who go cruising, do you take your steering cert with you. Never know when you may be needed.
Second question is what happens now?
A steering cert was a requirement for EDH and AB certs. Is it no longer a requirement?

·
Premium Member
11,608 Posts
Forget taking the Steering Certificate. If you going to taking a cruise you would be better taking your "Certificate of Efficiency as a Lifeboatman". Probably might end used too !!!!

No idea what the present requirements. You might need all of these to get your PhD!!!!!

Stephen

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I acquired mine (steering certificate) between Rotterdam to the Elbe 1 light v/l as a 1st trip deck apprentice (1966)

6 hours later I was "helmsman" for the 8 hour Kiel Canal transit.

Log book entry:

TMO & PA Oh and the little prat steering by the topside magnetic compass!

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Forget taking the Steering Certificate. If you going to taking a cruise you would be better taking your "Certificate of Efficiency as a Lifeboatman". Probably might end used too !!!!

Stephen
Do you take your Prayer Book and Rosary Beads? Throw in a fishing line and hooks and change your name to Stephen J Cruise Oh.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I took my steering ticket on my first trip across the Atlantic, i was peggy, and went up every evening for a couple hours until i had reached the 10 hrs time. I have been told, not sure how true, but towards the end of the sea schools in Uk, they were coming out after 12 weeks with EDH tickets. I wonder if anyone has knowledge of that

·
Registered
7,596 Posts
I acquired mine (steering certificate) between Rotterdam to the Elbe 1 light v/l as a 1st trip deck apprentice (1966)

6 hours later I was "helmsman" for the 8 hour Kiel Canal transit.

Log book entry:

TMO & PA Oh and the little prat steering by the topside magnetic compass!
On the Danish, German and Norwegian ships (that I sailed on) we did not have a "steering certificate" all the deck crew from the deckboy up were expected to learn to steer. On my first ship the Else Reith when we were at sea on a quiet day it was up to the bridge and one of the officers would teach me how to steer the ship, and like Willincity above it was using the magnetic compass on the monkey island and you viewed if via type of periscope type thing, and we did not have wheel, you used a lever for port and starboard.

Cheers Frank

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I may have posted this before?

When I was about 10 - 11yo I started doing some trips with my Dad. He would either know the captain or know it was ok, so I did countless trips up and down the Thames with him.
On one occasion, and I think from his diaries, it was on the Sir Charles Parsons going up river, the AB at the wheel suggested I have a go at the helm. My Dad agreed and said "Just keep the jack staff in the centre of the river and keep it steady". I did that and stayed at the wheel right up until near our destination berth. They said I did a good job but no certificate for little Johnny!

Interestingly, I ended up driving Charlie Parson's turbines most of my working life.

JJ.

·
Premium Member
11,608 Posts
Do you take your Prayer Book and Rosary Beads? Throw in a fishing line and hooks and change your name to Stephen J Cruise Oh.

All of those things too. Don't forget to take a carton of Players Plain (well back in my youth) and the other important thing.... look for a passenger who was a former Chief Eng!!!!! If there is a Ch Stwd in the crowd... he would bring a bottle in his lifejacket as well!

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I've still got my Steering Certificate dated 21 March 1968 which was also the day I paid off Benvannoch after joining her on 21st July 1966. For some reason that escapes me now the Old Man wouldn't issue the 'ticket' until I left the ship, despite the fact that I'd been steering it from day one 20 months earlier!*

* For those who didn't know Ben Line practice - as cadets you tended to remain on one ship for a long time and stayed on Articles but were given Leave Certificates for periods at home while the ship went round the coast of UK/Continent. The leave certificates had to be shown to the Examiner when you were claiming sea time for 2nd Mates.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I've still got my Steering Certificate dated 21 March 1968 which was also the day I paid off Benvannoch after joining her on 21st July 1966. For some reason that escapes me now the Old Man wouldn't issue the 'ticket' until I left the ship, despite the fact that I'd been steering it from day one 20 months earlier!*

* For those who didn't know Ben Line practice - as cadets you tended to remain on one ship for a long time and stayed on Articles but were given Leave Certificates for periods at home while the ship went round the coast of UK/Continent. The leave certificates had to be shown to the Examiner when you were claiming sea time for 2nd Mates.
Still got mine, Donaldson Line, Western ocean run, 1966. I still put my crew on the paddle steamer through our own version, 10 hours before they get their steering ticket!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
As ordinary seamen j.o.s or s.o.s we kept watches doing our two hours a watch on the wheel but never under a pilot and many ships close to land yet we would steer during the worst of the weather.

·
Premium Member
11,608 Posts
Quite right. In any weather the QM will take the 'helm'. Come close to shore, 99% steering is by 'helm orders' by pilot, master or OOW.

The easy one is when using 'electric'. No feeling at all. Telemotor or a small vessel with real hand steering is the way to learn.

·
Registered
746 Posts
And an Ex Stewardess who knows the ropes.
They would have to be an Ex Stewerdess, as I suppose these days anybody from that department would be fully paid up members of the Lettuce Granary Bacon Tomato Very Distinguished & scar fraternity. And you wouldn't want to be sat cheek by jowl in a raft with one of those for a long time.
As cruise ships carry so few lifboats ( shades of Titanic again, profit over people) most would have to make do with a raft.

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
One might be seated with Lettuce, Granary, Bacon, Tomato or even a Vaguely Deviant. But not one that was all five.

Cruise ships are allowed to downplay the number of SOB declared for the PVSC as that number amongst the Moneyed of Stateroom diminishes as the journey progresses. The lifeboat capacity may be reduced by the number expected to be ex-passengers (passengers who have ceased pining for an engine room tour or a Norwegian Fjord). A commensurate number of body bags, however, is required in lieu.

·
Registered
101 Posts
ref 12 and 13, as a SOS i took the helm to bring the ship alongside on most of the ships i was on, trampers mainly, but Ellerman Papayani ships etc, the only ship i sailed on with a quarter master was Union Castle, where i was a bridge boy. As part of a three man crew and sos i was expected to do all the jobs required at any time, the two ABs on watch with me would not have been pleased if they had to do my trick at the wheel because we were close inshore

·
Registered
567 Posts

In Ben Line 63 to 66 as Cadet, we signed on and off like everybody else . Our discharge books showed time on board.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Still issuing steering tickets today, sadly not to too many British cadets, mainly Polish OOW/Abs who have never steered a ship before.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
In Ben Line 63 to 66 as Cadet, we signed on and off like everybody else . Our discharge books showed time on board.
Interesting. Perhaps it varied from ship to ship but since the certificates were printed by Ben Line perhaps not. If it works I'm attaching a shot of my first leave certificate from 7.12.66 to 3.1.67. In all I got three leave certificates whilst serving on Benvannoch.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts