Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crew the plan of the TidTug shows steering chain channels from the Steering quadrant aft up both side to the wheel house I worked on the Dredge Wangauni years ago and her channels were both open and enclosed my question is where the Tid Tugs steering chains channels open or closed over any and all help much appreciated tassie48

·
Premium Member
12,074 Posts
Good morning Tassie! First class question! Had a look at plan for a TID. No information. The reason is that the bulwarks are canted and from the 'plan' the view is hidden. Looking at a couple of photos of TIDs you can see along the bulwarks the freeing spaces do not seem to see any chains along there. I suspect the chains ran along the housing of the engine room and then up to the wheelhouse. On the open short afterdeck I think the chain would have been covered and then 'open' along the engine house. Covered to avoid an accident and the cover was high enough so that you can get a brush to grease the chain. METINDA was like that.

I knew several old boats and also the EMPIRE LOLA... as 'JUSTICE'. Chains as above. The thing I remember was the sound of the chains. Hardly a sound! Just a 'sticking' sound from the grease.

The old TID 'BRENT' is still around somewhere. They have a website but no information. Might be your best change to get the information.

Stephen

·
Premium Member
12,074 Posts
Tassie48.

OK, I have the answer for you. At the quadrant it is chain links and then to about, There is a long stretch along the housing of the E/R and the main house... all in WIRE. Near the wheelhouse the wires are connect to chain links, then up to the wheelhouse. Where the chain links are there they it on a runner bed. practically OPEN. A couple of spot the chain is covered. Probably just for protection. Where the wire runs along the house they are completely open, not sitting on a bed, just a couple of eyes lead the wire through. The photos (high res) from Hans Hoffman clearly show all of this.

Stephen

·
Premium Member
12,074 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Now I see. A suggestion. Put the quadrant on the stern as 'normal'. Show the chains, wires etc. Do not make the quadrant and the rudder stock 'fixed' the make another quadrant UNDER the deck with the radio controls. It wouldn't be seen, but would still work. Yes? Need to look at a drawing to see if it works.

Stephen

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steven looking at a huge brass quadrant on the rudder shaft which turns on deck just under the rope storage frame below deck there is a jumbo servo push pull arms either side turning both the rudder and the quadrant above the chains would then slide in there troughs linked some we're in the channels is bungie cord to keep the correct tension , the steering wheel turns with chains via second linked servo to match both the quadrant and rudder movement. We'll that's how I am thinking it will go being a big scale 1/6th scale near on 12 feet long tons of room to see the chain quadrant move around rudder is huge 160 X 300 mm blade prop is 240mm 4 blade right hand she is a big project water ballast of course still scaling up the plans I purchased a really great copy from FloatABoat in Melbourne Australia received permission to enlarge the plan due to copyright laws so all good tassie48

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Be cool in 1 to 1 scale haha power is 48 volt golf cart motor speed controller and batteries was looking at a large scale triple steam expansion engine all to hard in bigger scales tassie48

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stephen plywood hull and decks fiberglassed over Inside and out looked at steel frames and keel going to keep her simple and easy , built in ballast tanks lots of detail tons of brass new lathe milling machine for her and Metinda iii tassie48

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Metinda underway will look a real sight to behold I am doing a couple of hours research each day some days a lot more haha she will be museum quality vessel right down to the ships name on the bell complete with rope donger , life buoys with lettering, even the flags have hooks on them, hope to win some awards for her, she being my pride and joy, have a list a mile long when I get in my machine shop milling bits for her, her electronics alone are very impressive every thing to the mill a meter including custom made scale studded anchor chain all five metres of it marked according hope to restart in 2022 finish at Xmas 2022 .Not a rivet counter just a enthusiastic modeler, even the timber decking has the plug holes running the correct way haha. Trust all you guys are safe and well tassie48

·
Premium Member
12,074 Posts
Perhaps next year I will do a formal oil painting of METINDA. Make a great change of passenger ships with portholes!

I have seen a couple of photos of two models of ROMANIA. Stunning! A bit shocked. I have never seen any photos of this tug. I assumed her hull was painted grey. Now I see this tug is painted in a lilac gray.. looks like shades of Union Castle boats. Different.

Stephen

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Stephen I have a beautiful oil painting of a Whale chaser punching thru a breaking wave Kyo Maru 27 I have a 1/48 scale model of her which I sail alot Metinda would be good too some thing very calming about ship pictures tassie48

1 - 19 of 19 Posts