Ships Nostalgia banner

221 - 240 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
After reading a number of these messages I guess there must have been more than one Ashington with S/C. .
ASHINGTON (1) (1968 – 1978)
/ ARLINGTON (1978 - 1980)
O.N. 187534. 3,894g. 2,176n. 5,630d. 356’ 7” x 50’ 6” x 21’ 9½”
5-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (560 x 1,000mm) by Sulzer Bros. Ltd., Winterthur. 2,000 BHP. 11 knots.
20.11.1956: Launched by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith (Yard No.449).
2.1957: Completed for Chine Shipping Co. Ltd., London as TENNYSON.
1968: Sold to Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd. and renamed ASHINGTON.
1978: Renamed ARLINGTON to release the name.
1980: Sold to Gianna A. Shipping Co. Ltd. (Tirrenia Maritime Co. Ltd., managers) Greece and renamed GIANNA A.
1983: Sold to Grenada Shipping Co. Ltd, Malta and renamed CHRYS.
28.7.1984: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition by S.S.International.

ASHINGTON (2) (1979 - 2004)
O.N. 379883. 4,334g. 2,228n. 6,570d. 103.61 x 16.08 x 7.033 metres.
8-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (381 x 457mm) Blackstone KMR8 type by Mirrlees Blackstone Ltd., Stockport, geared to a controllable pitch propeller. 4,800 BHP. 14½ knots. Thwartship thrust propeller forward.
14.12.1978: Launched by Clelands Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Wallsend (Yard No. 341).
4.1979: Completed for Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd.
31.10.1986: Owners renamed Powell Duffryn Shipping Ltd, (Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd, renamed on the same date from Kyle Shipping Co. Ltd, appointed as managers).
16.4.1992: Owners renamed Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd, whilst on same date managers renamed Powell Duffryn Shipping Ltd.
11.2004: Sold to Stoneship Invest AS and renamed FJORD PEARL.
4.2006: Norway (NIS) registry.
9.2007: Sold to JP Ship AS, (Riga Shipping Ltd, then Bergen Shipping AS managers) and renamed J.P.FOX.
10.2007: Hav Ship Management AS appointed as managers.
8.2008: Sold to Engy Shipping Lines Co., Alexandria (Arados Shipping Co. Srl, managers) and renamed MILANO STAR under Panama flag.
9.6.2009: Sold to Ragab Hamada Ragab Arafa (Engy Shipping Lines Co., managers) Alexandria, retaining Panama flag.
29.10.2012: Arrived at Aliaga for demolition by Kursun Ltd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ASHINGTON (1) (1968 – 1978)
/ ARLINGTON (1978 - 1980)
O.N. 187534. 3,894g. 2,176n. 5,630d. 356’ 7” x 50’ 6” x 21’ 9½”
5-cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. (560 x 1,000mm) by Sulzer Bros. Ltd., Winterthur. 2,000 BHP. 11 knots.
20.11.1956: Launched by Henry Robb Ltd., Leith (Yard No.449).
2.1957: Completed for Chine Shipping Co. Ltd., London as TENNYSON.
1968: Sold to Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd. and renamed ASHINGTON.
1978: Renamed ARLINGTON to release the name.
1980: Sold to Gianna A. Shipping Co. Ltd. (Tirrenia Maritime Co. Ltd., managers) Greece and renamed GIANNA A.
1983: Sold to Grenada Shipping Co. Ltd, Malta and renamed CHRYS.
28.7.1984: Arrived at Gadani Beach for demolition by S.S.International.

ASHINGTON (2) (1979 - 2004)
O.N. 379883. 4,334g. 2,228n. 6,570d. 103.61 x 16.08 x 7.033 metres.
8-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (381 x 457mm) Blackstone KMR8 type by Mirrlees Blackstone Ltd., Stockport, geared to a controllable pitch propeller. 4,800 BHP. 14½ knots. Thwartship thrust propeller forward.
14.12.1978: Launched by Clelands Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Wallsend (Yard No. 341).
4.1979: Completed for Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd.
31.10.1986: Owners renamed Powell Duffryn Shipping Ltd, (Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd, renamed on the same date from Kyle Shipping Co. Ltd, appointed as managers).
16.4.1992: Owners renamed Stephenson Clarke Shipping Ltd, whilst on same date managers renamed Powell Duffryn Shipping Ltd.
11.2004: Sold to Stoneship Invest AS and renamed FJORD PEARL.
4.2006: Norway (NIS) registry.
9.2007: Sold to JP Ship AS, (Riga Shipping Ltd, then Bergen Shipping AS managers) and renamed J.P.FOX.
10.2007: Hav Ship Management AS appointed as managers.
8.2008: Sold to Engy Shipping Lines Co., Alexandria (Arados Shipping Co. Srl, managers) and renamed MILANO STAR under Panama flag.
9.6.2009: Sold to Ragab Hamada Ragab Arafa (Engy Shipping Lines Co., managers) Alexandria, retaining Panama flag.
29.10.2012: Arrived at Aliaga for demolition by Kursun Ltd.
Thanks BillH

·
Registered
48 Posts
Stood by the "Ashington" building at Clelands for the last six weeks before maiden voyage. Stevies put us up in a little hotel near Woolworths in Whitley Bay.Cant believe it was so long ago,had a great time there. Sailed on that ship off and on for the best part of 5 years. It was a super ship ,possibly the best I was ever on. Bladeburner the Clelands shipyard should be justfiably proud of that ship.
George

·
Registered
110 Posts
Stood by the "Ashington" building at Clelands for the last six weeks before maiden voyage. Stevies put us up in a little hotel near Woolworths in Whitley Bay.Cant believe it was so long ago,had a great time there. Sailed on that ship off and on for the best part of 5 years. It was a super ship ,possibly the best I was ever on. Bladeburner the Clelands shipyard should be justfiably proud of that ship.
George
Hi George,
Did Captain Joe take the Ashington out new? I was on for the guarantee Dry Dock at Wallsend Slipway with him, but alas he was relieved by Billy Gibson one of Robertson's men.

Ian B

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi George,
Did Captain Joe take the Ashington out new? I was on for the guarantee Dry Dock at Wallsend Slipway with him, but alas he was relieved by Billy Gibson one of Robertson's men.

Ian B
Yea Ian, Captain Joe took the ship out new. He also retired from it ,we had a do for him,many of his old shipmates turned up for it. It
was a good night.
George

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi George
Thanks very much for your comments about Clelands, it was for many of us a great place to work and good memories and friendships were made there.
Did you know that during the building of Ashington it was noticed that the bilges would hit the jetty wall while being launched so we had to break the concrete up so the ship would clear them.
Alan

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi George
Thanks very much for your comments about Clelands, it was for many of us a great place to work and good memories and friendships were made there.
Did you know that during the building of Ashington it was noticed that the bilges would hit the jetty wall while being launched so we had to break the concrete up so the ship would clear them.
Alan
Aye, thats what happens when you build mighty vessels.(Pint)
Didnt know that,seemed to spend most of my time there,tracing and drawing lines ,checking and logging engine room spares in Clelands store before they went aboard.
George

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi George
Mighty it was for us, biggest thing to slip down our ways. We built too many barges and the like but also plenty of other ships for S/C.
As I was an apprentice at that time, I did spend a few weeks in the shipwrights loft marking the scrieve boards and making the wood lattice templates, possibly the most enjoyable time of my apprenticeship there. Much more interesting than working with CAD these days as I do on occasion.
The bug****s I worked with during the launch of the Ashington made me stand leaning over the prow, waving at my mates below and proud as punch to be there I was. But as the ship slid in reverse down the ways, what I wasn't expecting was the bow to drop of the end of the ways, it was like going down in an express elevator, my stomach lifted then dropped, but that wasn't the only joke that was played on me that day. (Jester)

Alan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Storrington

I was on the Storrington as a deck boy Feb 63 - Sept 63
Carting coal from the NE to the Thames
Old memory fading now...
I remember two of the AB's were Tommy (Halharan?) and Allen ??? (who used to pick on me for scraping my knife on the dinner plate.. lol...) and an EDH who was was an Indian/Pakistani who had a blue Royal Enfield motorbike.. Used to load the m.bike onboard using the derrick and go daytripping when we got to the Thames... Good blokes...
Cant for the life of me remember the Bosun - he was a good bloke too...
Don't remember dates etc - but when I was signed on there was an explosion in one of the forward holds - blew the rolling hatch cover clean off... I think we were in the Medway when it happened - off Foulness - loaded... early morning, no one on deck at the time...
Happier Days...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi M'Bob...
Yes... it was too... Jack Bell... Thanks...
Didn't know of him as "Evil Jack"
Also jogs my memory that the AB Tommy I mentioned was Tommy Mountain...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re Tommy Mountain

Thanks Mr Elliott
Tommy was a good bloke...
I was only a boy at the time I knew him...
Didn't know his brother...

·
Registered
753 Posts
I remember Nick Mountain, he was bosun on the Corbank while I was there, had many a pint with him. His grandmother was known as fishy Alice in South Shields , she had a fish shop under the railway bridge behind King Street, my grandmother knew her and when my grandmother used to take me into the shop Alice would always give me some crab legs to suck the meat out, to this day I still find crab meat to be the most delicious of sea foods.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sailed on Stevies out of Goole in early 60s. Lancing, Broadhurst and Ardingly. Most of threads on here seem to be from N/E must have worked the dreaded watch aboard watch ashore N.E Coast Agreement we had our own in Goole didn`t have to pay for watch ashore, trimmers moved ship under coal hoist and watch aboard came back from pub to batten down and wash down Lancing was on regular run with Steyning, Goole to Brighton Gas Works Portslade winter time three trips a fortnight once did six weeks without a night in port, good payer though. Saw a new Lancing about three years ago loading at a jetty near Colwyn Bay.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What about Rasmussen?

I knew I'd missed one or two from my list-there was also the James Rowan from the CEGB fleet, and the Tarring from the SC fleet. Apologies for that,
but after 30 years it is amazing what you can still remember from then, if you concentrate hard enough.
I am also starting to remember some of the shore based staff at the Newcastle Collingwood Street office at that time-
The M.D.- Mr H W Turner,
Senior Admin Ms. Lillian Ward and Ms. Doreen Wright,
Senior Accountant Mr. Crozier,
Insurance Mr.Ramshaw,
Agency Ken Gilholm and Alan Morton,
Ship Management Captain Rochester,
Superintendents Bob Bunn and others,
Accounts office Mr. Lear,
Chartering (cargo) Mr. Ross and Allan Waters.
Chartering (vessels) Mr Geoff Willey and his boss.
and many others whose names I cannot remember in Personnel, Stores and Victualling, Typists, Computing departments, plus the assistants in these departments,and lowly clerks like me, plus the tealady and commissionaire receptionist.
The office moved to Eldon Square shortly after I had left.
There was a guy called Rasmussen who used to sort the trips out - a good bloke

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lubchem

Hi all-sailed on the Dallington,Donnington and the SC owned Lubchem.All good crowds and ships.Usual coaster conditions though-loads of hard work and little pay but good times.
Kev
I did a trip on the Lubchem - cabin just above the oil pumps - never slept for three months!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bill Dowie

I spent the best part of five years on the "Ashington",as 3rd/2nd engineer.
Probaly the best ship i was ever on,i stood by it during building.I left before the sails arrived.Joe Johnston "r.i.p" was the old man,Bill Dowie & Roland Sistersen were mostly the chief engineers,Willy Adamson 3rd engineer ,Pat Cairns the chief steward and Alec Costello was our engineering super.

Regards,George
An abiding memory of Bill Dowie was has Fiat 127! fast little car but he got some stick!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Malcolm Burke

I joined the Storrington on its maiden voyage - malcolm burke was Ch Eng - what a man! I recall making loads of stuff like deck cranes etc and painting everything bright yellow! happy days...

221 - 240 of 270 Posts