Ships Nostalgia banner

261 - 270 of 270 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Blanchland

I have been in touch with Ray Ledger a couple of weeks ago,He has had quite a different life away from the sea,which he left I believe after 2nd mates.He went into Cranes and was a successful businessman.I will check up with him where I bet up with him,Canada seems to ring a bell hence Vancouver,maybe Montreal or down the St Lawrence as I was there fore Expo 67 .
He is now living around Pontefract and hope to meet up with him at the Hull Trinity House Old Boys Association meeting which he has just joined when the lockdown ends. Stay Safe everyone..Geoff Johnson (Chairman) Hull Trinity House Old Boys Association.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I sailed on the PULBOROUGH/GPVE for six weeks in the summer of 1969.

I clearly remember there was a box on the starboard wing of the Bridge.
There were about four compartments vertically.
Each contained a different coloured lamp.
At the entrance to the Thames on the North bank there was an old signal station with a similar box of lamps.
I was told that in pre VHF days they were used to identify the ship.
The sig stn would then light up a pattern which identified to which power station the ship should proceed to discharge.

I have been totally unable to find any information about this system.

Anyone out there know?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Did anyone sail with my old class mate from Trinity House Navigation school Ted Gaffney? if anyone has any info on him or is in contact I would like to get in touch regarding the Schools associations. Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did anyone sail with my old class mate from Trinity House Navigation school Ted Gaffney? if anyone has any info on him or is in contact I would like to get in touch regarding the Schools associations. Thanks.
I sailed with (Steady) Ted Gaffney many times on the Dallington - I was C/E there for 15 years after Bob Latham OBE retired.Ted was a pleasure to sail with, typical dry Yorkshireman, never took any chances especially if weather forecast was bad, and treated "my" engines with respect. Last saw Ted about 2003/4, popped in to see him and Jeannie(?) at their place in Whitby.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Capt Barry Standerline

For those who met or knew of him.

A mutual friend has just informed me that Barry has crossed the bar within recent weeks.

A real gentleman with whom I last spoke late last year.
I've just joined the Forum and whilst browsing the Stevie Clarke's section came across your old post. I was shocked to see Barry Standerline's name mentioned. Is he the guy from S****horpe, took up a VTS job in Aberdeen? If it is, I sailed with Barry many times on the Dallington, I was C/E there for donkey's years. He couldn't have been very old when he passed on. Very sad, nice guy.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I sailed with (Steady) Ted Gaffney many times on the Dallington - I was C/E there for 15 years after Bob Latham OBE retired.Ted was a pleasure to sail with, typical dry Yorkshireman, never took any chances especially if weather forecast was bad, and treated "my" engines with respect. Last saw Ted about 2003/4, popped in to see him and Jeannie(?) at their place in Whitby.
Many Thanks for your reply Cyber.
Well as you said he lives in Whitby,that will help us immensely as we have other ex Trinity House living there and maybe they can enquire after him for us.
We have 8 or 9 out of our class from TH cadet school in the Old Boys Association and would like to get Ted aboard,He was a good lad at school and sat next to me,I had heard his name mentioned whilst I was Bosun on the Malling for 4 years around 1983 but never managed to locate him,I was possibly informed of him being in Stevies by Duncan Mc ?,C/O from Oban who was on the D boats quite a lot.at the time I think Ted was on Pulborough ?at that time.Thanks again and if you hear anymore of him please let me know..Geoff (Chairman) Hull Trinity House Old Boys Association.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have really enjoyed reading this thread, i must have been one of the last Engineering cadets with stevies 2002-2005 and then did 3 trips as 3rd engineer 2005-2006. I sailed on dallington, donnington, durrington and storrington, never made it over to the sea amethyst (thank god). I remember first joining the dallington as first trip gadge in ipswitch and being the only brit onboard for a month or so. After that met some great brits in the fleet Just going to reel of a few names that i can rmbr and would appriciate any updates, Bob briggs c/e, Bob Dowling 3/e, David prime 2/e, Geoff rommel capt. barry standerline capt. steve bartlett c/e. Howard (Ted) Knutt 2/0, Bruce tucker capt. Dave patterson C/E. Craig Amess 3/e

Owe stevies alot for teaching me my trade after leaving them i went to north star on errv's for a year. Then Princess cruises for 3.5 years and am currently on a private yach called octopus owned by microsoft co-founder paul allan
Bit of an old post but I've only just joined the Forum and seen your post. Can't figure out who you are but I am the first name on your list. C/E on my beloved Dallington.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Re my last thread,The mate Duncan Mc ?was not from Oban but from Ayr..Good character,The Chief Engineer was the N Irishman living on the Tyne,Pete O'Brian.Who I sailed with later on with Uglands.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
I've just joined the Forum and whilst browsing the Stevie Clarke's section came across your old post. I was shocked to see Barry Standerline's name mentioned. Is he the guy from S****horpe, took up a VTS job in Aberdeen? If it is, I sailed with Barry many times on the Dallington, I was C/E there for donkey's years. He couldn't have been very old when he passed on. Very sad, nice guy.
Yes, Cyber. One and the same. RIP

261 - 270 of 270 Posts