Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
STILL WARMING

Surely we can all accept the fact of global warming as a phenomenon, it’s been going on since the last ice age and that the real crux of the present dilemma is ENERGY. Energy production, consumption, utilization, it all adds up to some form of green house gas emission, atmospheric pollution, depletion of our fast dwindling natural resources and general over- indulgence by the average human being.
Australia is in a box seat with its vast untapped energy resources, over 40% of the world’s uranium reserves, perhaps the world’s biggest overall reserves of coal, coal for coking, steaming and gasification, crude oil (to a lesser extent) but with vast areas of the continent yet to be explored. You name it we have it in the fossil fuel world.
No one really wants to see the uranium resource used, not yet anyway, but the fossil fuels are the ones making a big contribution to the present dilemma. Let look at all the fuss about this as purely an energy depletion problem that we current older generation can survive without much inconvenience but also try to accept that our increasing indulgences will more quickly lead to really serious resource problems for future generations, even as soon as our living children’s and grandchildren’s time.
There is some useful research going on in Australia as to how to minimize Co2 emissions from coal fired power stations by using “clean coal” technology whereby the pollutant exhaust gases are pumped back under ground to be stored in voids well below the earth’s surface but this is still at a fanciful stage and has a long way to go. Australia is also trying to test the “hot rock” method of power generation by means of drilling down into the earth’s crust to heated material or a magma layer then pumping down water and hey presto free steam for the turbines to generate electricity without toxic emissions.
This is good forward thinking and research, the sort that should be going on but what if it does not work; we will still have an energy overuse situation.

Buck Rodgers had all the answers in my day but he still has not come up with the magic bullet that resolves the energy problem.

Interesting figures have been aired in recent times re western mankind’s personal energy consumption i.e.; via the mouth. Australians closely follow the North Americans as the most obese and over weight nation and I believe Britain is close behind in third place. This fat mass of stored human energy cannot be seen as reserves that can be drawn on, unless you spend a week or two adrift in a life boat with no food or a similar denial, so it cannot be seen as “money in the bank” but rather as a big overdraft on ones health balance.
Don’t kid yourself that this is nothing to do with oil. Just try walking off the excess avoirdupois instead of using your car for short journeys and see the fuel savings go right back to the oil well. You could say that if we all reduced our individual petrol consumptions by say 20% the Arab OPEC state members would have a recession and that might not be all that bad, especially if it calmed their zeal.
We could go on forever with little examples of energy conservation that appear miniscule in isolation but they all add up to achieving the partial reversal of our generally fat, lazy, overindulgent, over consuming life styles.
Remember the line from that song- “little things mean a lot” (Boys and girls take this how you like)

We are all guilty of energy gluttony to some extent, me included, so start right now.

Turn off a light, plant a tree, put on an extra jersey, sits in the shade or take a stroll. It will all help

Bob

·
Premium Member
10,425 Posts
I am afraid the bigger (but I would claim, related) is as the attached graph. There simply there are too many of us. As Consumers, as breeders, as too close to zoonotic illness carriers and as passers on of contagion and unhealthy genetic traits.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
As you say, Bob,----

----Earth has been getting progressively warmer since the last Ice Age and will do so, as it has done inexorably, over its existence.

Take, for example, "The hole in the ozone layer', which is widely attributed to Man, his voracious production of CO2 through, mainly, his consumption of hydrocarbons.

Whether **** sapiens, with his 'adding' CO2 to the atmosphere is causing Global warming 'acceleration' is, in my book, a moot point.

The 'Hole' in the ozone layer is frequently brought to our attention as it waxes and wanes in size. This was blamed on the chlorine in refrigerants, (monochlorodichloromethane, R.22, dichlorodifluromethane, R.12. Two of the most highly-used refrigerants, which were banned and replaced by flammable refrigerants such as butane, R,600), causing the 'Hole'. Scientists worked-out this was happening which resulted in the ban on CFC's. However I feel we mustn't forget we can now 'judge' this phenomena via the geo-stationary satellite/s expressly 'installed' for this very purpose. Has this 'waxing-and-waning' been going-on since Earth formed and wasn't, really, caused by leaking refrigeration systems?

Earth WILL get warmer-and-warmer, as it has done over its existence. (Don't forget, Britain was sub-tropical once!). Following this 'warming' will be, presumably, another Ice Age et ad infinitum. Phil. PS. I DO get carried away don't I!

·
Registered
961 Posts
I am afraid the bigger (but I would claim, related) is as the attached graph. There simply there are too many of us. As Consumers, as breeders, as too close to zoonotic illness carriers and as passers on of contagion and unhealthy genetic traits.
I agree 100%. I can remember a discussion I had in 1975 about that, so I have been banging that drum for a long time. My best friend and BIL was more optimistic. Now that we are both 88 he has a more pessimistic view. I'd go even further, now, If we are unable to control climate change and world population, then nature will. ie. more pandemics. for one thing, plus food shortages, etc.

·
Registered
885 Posts
----

Earth WILL get warmer-and-warmer, as it has done over its existence. (Don't forget, Britain was sub-tropical once!). Following this 'warming' will be, presumably, another Ice Age et ad infinitum. Phil. PS. I DO get carried away don't I!
Yes, Phil, British Isles were once sub-tropical - but at that time the landmass was in the tropics. Continental Drift brought it north. The Atlantic has opened and closed a couple of times too - see how Africa snuggles into South America. Isle of Lewis is a bit of Greenland left behind when Atlantic last opened.
I do what I can to walk with light footfalls - grow veg, make log piles under the shrubs for the small beasts, leave bits of the lawn uncut to grow long (amazing flowers and bees in Summer) and rub my hands with glee when the sun shines and the solar panels pump out the juice.
We've been far too profligate and the bill has finally dropped on the doormat.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
The population needs to reduce. The government is looking for volunteers over the age of 60. They are offering a 10% discount on inheritance tax for those selected. Those not selected will be confined to a care home for their own good.
Stay alert!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The population needs to reduce. The government is looking for volunteers over the age of 60. They are offering a 10% discount on inheritance tax for those selected. Those not selected will be confined to a care home for their own good.
Stay alert!
We look to Scotland to take the lead.
Very fine Fish.B\)

·
Registered
961 Posts
Stay alert!
That's the problem--being the first. I need volunteers---you, you and you!"

Or, as the American poster says, "Your country needs you!"

·
Registered
4 Posts
A program on TV said the Earth revolving on its axis in its orbit round Sun is getting closer to the Sun and in years to come will eventually crash into the Sun. Therefore it gets warmer, did not give ant idea of the time but sounded like thousands of years, hence global warming.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
#6 . "The Atlantic has opened and closed a couple of times too - see how Africa snuggles into South America."

Didn't they used to call that "being in the lee of Bum Island", Harry.

Hope you didn't chop down any trees to make those piles of logs! Just kidding, I'm with you all the way.

John T

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
A program on TV said the Earth revolving on its axis in its orbit round Sun is getting closer to the Sun and in years to come will eventually crash into the Sun. Therefore it gets warmer, did not give ant idea of the time but sounded like thousands of years, hence global warming.
Actually, as the sun loses mass, the earth is moving away from the sun. However as it's only about 15cm a year (not much to worry about as we are around 150Million km away)

Past catastrophic climate changes are associated with vulcanism releasing masses of CO2 into the atmosphere. These warm periods last millions of years because 'dark' oceans absorb far more heat (and are less able to absorb CO2) than the cool periods when polar ice relects sunlight..The cooler climate from around 34 million years ago is believed to be from the opening of Southern Ocean Gateways and the isolation of Antartica leading to cooler oceans and reduced atmospheric CO2..

At the moment we are reversing that cooling; reduced ice sheets mean faster warming, more CO2 and a vicious cycle..

·
Registered
6,870 Posts

Reactions: John Jarman

·
Registered
225 Posts
That experiment with fruit flies is just one way population control is demonstrated.

Enter Covid-19.
If it had been allowed to totally run free - as in the various plagues and co-called Spanish Flu
(which originated in the USA) then the burgeoning population might have been controlled.
It's called the survival of the fittest or perhaps the demise of the unfittest.
It would solve the geriatric care problem. (I could soon qualify.)
The vastly obese would be culled. (I do NOT qualify.)
Herd immunity would protect the useful population.

It sounds harsh - and it is. But that is nature at work and something Mr Darwin figured out a few years ago.

The so-called developed world spends billions on care for babies with deformities that should realistically have been allowed to die. Some are cared for 24 hours a day even into late adulthood - what sort of life is that for them.
Again - harsh but true.

Please, please don't think I am callous and uncaring, nothing could be further from the truth.

Medical and societal advances have transformed (most of) the world for the better and I would probably not be still alive to write this without them!

·
Premium Member
10,425 Posts
Regret I am in all four camps (matured, rounded, callous and uncaring) and could add alcohol as a fifth but still agree. If the heaving masses do not control themselves Mother nature will do so and is unlikely to use family planning as the instrument. Eugenics is decent science (and I do not mean involuntary euthanasia or other vile inventions of a group of mad krauts) and is how every zoo is managed even today. Some of us are happy enough to condone the destruction of fully viable humans in the womb but shy away from prophylactic measures and mercifully ending those unviable at either end of the age scale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts