1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
Sad news indeed. A household name even today. RIP

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
In remember some years ago on the A1 southbound I was stopped by the traffic police for going a tad over the speed limit the bobby got out of his patrol car strolled over and said (you've got it)......................
"Who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?".

I have just read that he completed the 992 mile Mille Miglia in just over 10 hours in 1955. Incredible.

RIP Stirling.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
In remember some years ago on the A1 southbound I was stopped by the traffic police for going a tad over the speed limit the bobby got out of his patrol car strolled over and said (you've got it)......................
"Who do you think you are, Stirling Moss?".

I have just read that he completed the 992 mile Mille Miglia in just over 10 hours in 1955. Incredible.

RIP Stirling.
I once heard that Stirling Moss himself was asked the same question after going rather fast through the Mersey tunnel.

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,603 Posts
I remember watching a do***entary on him about 20 odd years ago and one memory stands out. During a long distance race (possibly Le Mans) where Moss was driving it was approaching early evening and in he came for a pit stop. At this stop he made a point of changing his shoes for seemingly no apparent reason, when asked why his response was "a gentleman does not wear brown shoes after 6 o clock".
His failing to win a world championship because he vouched for his opponent in a situation in which he would otherwise have been disqualified for reversing says much about the man.
A true sporting gentleman.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I detest motor racing "sport" but do remember with fondness reading about him and his winning ways.

RIP Sterling.

On a side note his "identical" look-alike was a Shipping Federation (Pool) official in Liverpool and so referred to as Sterling. He kidded a few for short trips only to return a year or more later.

J

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
He comes in as number 6 among UK drivers, and as number 17 among the most winning in F1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_Grand_Prix_winners (There were fewer races to win in the old days, which is perhaps why Fangio surprises me by coming in only as number 11.)
I suspect that his great fame also has something to do with his will to win at nearly any cost, and this attitude's consequentially many crashes. He certainly made more headlines than most famous drivers.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
RIP Stirling. He was truly a legend in the times when Motor Racing was very dangerous. Having raced motocross and go-karts, hats off!

As an aside, I googled Giacomo Agostini - He is 77 years old and still going! I remember, depending on age, a question: "Who do you think you are, Giacomo Agostini/Barry Sheene/Kenny Roberts" (pick one!)

I worked in Techint with Giuseppe Erbani - The only person in Italy named Erbani. He used to visit an old peoples home as a volunteer doing his social service and there met, and became friendly, with Marcelo Mastroiani. Giuseppe was from Pisa and had the most foul smelling socks ever and dirtiest car that I have ever seen. He once boasted to me that he had bought a Soviet 4 wheel drive car, similar to the Panda, and never washed or cleaned it in the nine years that he had it! A good friend and engineer who I had the pleasure of working with on two projects.

But, in this quarantine, I digress: Giuseppe once won an Italian Grand Prix. He was taken on as a support rider for Agostini, much like the "pacers" in athletics. Agostini would not, apparently, race in the rain. On this Sunday, during the race, Erbani was "pushing" Agostini on 350 cc MV Augusta bikes when it started raining. Coming by the pits, Agostini immediately pulled off! Erbani was in the lead and completed the remaining laps to finish first!

Whether he pulled my plonker or not, a pleasant story!

Rgds.
Dave

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
He was the star of the show when he came down to NZ to compete in our Grand Prix at Ardmore .
Those were the days of Sterling plus Prince Bera , George Parnell , Jack Brabham and other exotic competitors that thrilled us in the 1950's .

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was stopped by the Police on the A3 south of Guildford in the late 1970's driving my just bought MGB. The officer asked for my Driving License, on reading it he said, "I thought the name would be Stirling Moss".

Anyhow, I got a warning and was allowed to proceed with the comment, "nice car" and a wink.

For people of my age Stirling Moss was a legend in our time. An outstanding driver, first rate engineer and a gentleman. Rest in Peace Stirling, you did so well.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
My neighbour paid a glowing tribute to him, recalling when he raced in East London. He told me that when he obtained the prized autograph,(you could visit the Pits in those days) it was inscribed "to my Pal Clive from your friend Stirling Moss". No hasty scribble from our Stirling.Those days were also the days of privateers (remember them?) who were racing at the same meet.
Also his Sister Pat was a mean Show Jumper.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I only saw him once in real life, fleetingly.

It must have been 1956 or '57, I was On Western Avenue (?) heading into London on my BSA B31 350cc with my buddy on the rear seat. As far as I remember there were a set of traffic lights prior to a roundabout , God knows why a set of lights were on a 4 lane highway prior to a roundabout.

Red light, so I was stationary, ready to 'sedately' belt of at the sight on a Green light, no other traffic around me.
Suddenly, very quietly, a Bentley Continental convertible with top down oozed up alongside me and stopped. It was Stirling Moss and his new bride.

Naturally I thought I could give it a go...… Red to Green and he was gone, I do not think I actually saw him go (and he had the roundabout to deal with).

Probably my plug was fouled!

Graham

1 - 20 of 20 Posts