Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone had a photo of either of the "Stirling Ash" or "Stirling Cormorant" owned by the above co. a subsidiary of Harrisons of Clyde?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Roy, My Work colleage used to be a skipper on the stirling ships. Captain Ted Toop. Do you know him?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Roy,

Stirling Cormorant was my first command in 86 and I've put a photo that was taken by Capt Martyn Pacey passing us in the Nordzee Canal on the Stirling Snipe in the offshore gallery for you to copy.

Strawberry, please pass my best and apologies to Ted, I meant to phone him but have lost his number he sent down on a ship recently.

Charlie

I could have sworn we had an offshore section! Special purpose vessels then.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Were these the neat little ships that had a flexible drive from an engine (Yanmar, I think) located forward. Understand they went forever on a tank of fuel

·
Registered
318 Posts
Roy,

I've actually found a photo of the Ash now, so I'll put it in the Special Purposes gallery.

Bob,

I think you're thinking of the IMP class vessels, designed by the late Technical Director of Harrisons(Clyde) Ian Burrows. They had a schottel forward and aft and were highly manouverable with little power and consequent small fuel bills. They were meant for the southern gas fields and proved themselves quite competent but it was difficult to persude oil companies who had conditioned themselves to more space, more power, more everything was the way to go. They all ended up as standby boats I think.

Charlie

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stirling brigo far as i know she is still bobbing about the North sea somewhere was converted into a dive support vessel & renamed the Sea Mussel for a few years and then converted into an offshore supply boat owned by craigs & northstar.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Stirling Brig is now owned and operated by the Al Mojil Group in Saudi Arabia and named Al Mojil 41. Not sure exactly in what capacity she is operating though.

Phil

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sea Oyster

I was on the ship formerly the Sea Oyster and before that I think she was the Ash (not sure) She was the Grampian Sabre owned by Craig Group until sold to Dubai in 2004

·
Registered
319 Posts
After reading your posts ref the stirling vessels.I was taking the jack up rig Pride Montana out of Dammam port on Tuesday the 10th April i noticed the Al Mojil 41 lying alongside as we passed out of the harbour. I believe this was the Stirling Brig. She has had a lot of modifications done to her and looks as though she is used as dive/maintenence vessel with crane on after deck. I did not get a photo of her but as i am back and fore in this area a lot i will keep a lookout for her and try and get a photo for the SN

Regards
Alan

·
Registered
126 Posts
BOREAS Class; where are they now ?

Stirling Brig - now Al Mojil 41. Stirling Ash - now Al Mojil 42. Stirling Sword - now Al Mojil 43. Stirling Eagle - now Al Mojil 44. Stirling Oak - now Offshore Supplier (after many years Seahorse Supplier in Cork). Stirling Rock - now Little Joe.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think the Seamussel became the Putford Seamussel. An old friend from way back Alan Mayne from South Shields was chief engieer on her until he retired about 2 years ago. Pete

·
Registered
79 Posts
Stirling Cormorant and Stirling Skua are both still alive and kicking renamed after sale from Sterling as the Oil Puma and Oil Panther and working in West Africa where they have been since leaving Immingham in the mid 80's.
I saw the Oil Puma yesterday in fact.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Trevor, did you do some time on the Stirling Eagle in 1976, out of Aberdeen?
Angus Murray of Stornoway was skipper. I was 2nd engineer.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts