Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in Tesco the other day when I noticed that they were pushing their sales of Christmas cards. One, "To my darling wife at Christmas", had a sticker attached saying Buy Three, get Fourth Free.
I suppose if you have four wives every little helps?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Was in Tesco the other day when I noticed that they were pushing their sales of Christmas cards. One, "To my darling wife at Christmas", had a sticker attached saying Buy Three, get Fourth Free.
I suppose if you have four wives every little helps?
Maybe a disgruntled or merely mischievous staff member's prank.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Just like the halal hot cross buns. Talking of same, are they in the shops yet? I feel like one or two with my Xmas dinner.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I assume the offer include all cards in that part of the display, just seemed funny the sticker being on that card. We have a few Muslims, but the Mormons were kicked out about forty years ago.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
We, here in Oz, have a TV ad from the Cancer Council which says:

'Bowel cancer is the 'greatest cancer killer'. I assume that they mean 'greatest killer cancer'. (Fly spray is the 'greatest fly killer'.)

We also have a mob of, obviously, two bob lawyers who advertise:

Contact us (blah blah) for your 'first free consultation'. Again, I assume, that they mean 'free first consultation'.

(Night)

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
A few weeks ago, I saw a line of bunting flags in a Sainsbury's store advertising Trick or Treat, so I grumbled to the checkout girl that that subject is controversial, unworthy of being promoted by a supermarket. I don't suppose she passed my remark on to the manager, but at least I had taken my stand and brought it to her attention.

To my recollection, Trick or Treat was introduced to this country by U.S. service families at the end of the '70s. 31st Oct used to be Mischief Night--another dodgy invention that exonerated theft and wanton destruction (e.g. people's garden gate being taken off and burnt on a bonfire).

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
A few weeks ago, I saw a line of bunting flags in a Sainsbury's store advertising Trick or Treat, so I grumbled to the checkout girl that that subject is controversial, unworthy of being promoted by a supermarket. I don't suppose she passed my remark on to the manager, but at least I had taken my stand and brought it to her attention.

To my recollection, Trick or Treat was introduced to this country by U.S. service families at the end of the '70s. 31st Oct used to be Mischief Night--another dodgy invention that exonerated theft and wanton destruction (e.g. people's garden gate being taken off and burnt on a bonfire).
Not in Formby, Ray; we simply switched them with other gates of the same fit. Ever hear of Duck-apple Night?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
"Mischief Night"----

----here, (York area), was on Nov.4th.

Not with the 'wanton-destruction', as Ray lists, but simple things such as knocking on doors and running-away or, (a great favourite), stuffing some newspaper up an open-to-the-ground fall-pipe then lighting it.

The un-Earthly 'howl' created was brilliant! Phil(Thumb)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We used to do that as kids. Locally known as "rummeling spoots". Lovely noise, but these days not recommended with PVC pipes!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
#12 November 4th in Yorkshire as a small child I went out with the village kids to collect pennies for the Guy. There was supposed to be a song, but they couldn't quite sing it, or we lacked a lead voice. Years later I came upon it sung by the Watersons. It was Cob-a Coaling. I could sing it now, but the burning of the effigy of a Roman Catholic terrorist might not be popular in Ireland. However, Irish people might be interested that a man who came close to taking out, not just the King, but most of the ruling class of England, is still celebrated, presumably for his gesture against authority. I have heard him referred to as, "Guy Fawkes, The best man ever in Parliament."

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
I thin k that is "The only man to enter Parliament with honest intentions". We celebrate, however, the survival of James VI and his government. I am not sure I believe it but recent do***entary estimated that the entire 'estate' would have been demolished had it gone off.

·
Registered
710 Posts
#12 November 4th in Yorkshire as a small child I went out with the village kids to collect pennies for the Guy. There was supposed to be a song, but they couldn't quite sing it, or we lacked a lead voice. Years later I came upon it sung by the Watersons. It was Cob-a Coaling. I could sing it now, but the burning of the effigy of a Roman Catholic terrorist might not be popular in Ireland. However, Irish people might be interested that a man who came close to taking out, not just the King, but most of the ruling class of England, is still celebrated, presumably for his gesture against authority. I have heard him referred to as, "Guy Fawkes, The best man ever in Parliament."
The chap should be allowed back to have another go at it. It would be difficult to cause any more chaos than prevails at present!

Brian

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
You would miss the striking of the hour on Big Ben. Does the BBC radio news continue to be preceded by that strong sound?

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only when the clock is working. It has been off for maintenance but brought back to life for Remembrance Day.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
The chap should be allowed back to have another go at it. It would be difficult to cause any more chaos than prevails at present!

Brian
Guy Fawkes was the only man to enter parliament with an honest intention. (Jester)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts