Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for information on the history (subsequent onwers, names, date scrapped) of Strick's 1947-built Nigaristan.

Can someone please help?

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Ahoy Aristo,

Nigaristan built 03-1947 at J.Readhead & Sons Ltd.-Shields
Call/Flag Sign:GZDF
BRT:7173
DWT:9850
LOA x B x D:475'8"x58'10"x25'5½" 2 dks.
Owner:Strick Line Ltd
Manager:F.C.Strick & Co. Ltd.
Flag:British
P.o.R.:London
Eng:T 3Cy.26½" 44" & 74"x48" & LP turbine with DB gearing & hydraulic coupling

·
Registered
426 Posts
G'day Ariosto

Following on from Ruud

Sold in 1967 to Ascendente Cia.Nav. SA Greece and r/n ASTROMAR. 1969 r/n ARIS and in 1971 delivered to Chinese breakers in Shanghai.

Regards

NigelC

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nigaristan

Hi

Nigaristan was my first ever trip to sea

I was 5 or six years old

Bahrain to UK or other way round

My Mum Aunt Sister and me

Next trip we did was Laarderkerk

Ended up doing 10 years with UASC

May have some old b&w photos of Nigaristan in atiic at Mum's
Rgds

Andrew

·
Registered
40 Posts
Did my first trip on the "Nigaristan" as third mate round the coast in 1964.Liverpool and Swansea to discharge and round to the East coast to load.Then it was the dear old "Khuzistan" for my first deep sea trip.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tony - did you ever meet my father, Norman Wray? We sailed out to the Persian Gulf (I was 6!) with my family in 1963, leaving London on Nov 5th and getting as far as Basra, I think. We must have returned around May 1964. He was Chief Officer at the time.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello David, yes I seem to recollect he was the mate on the "Floristan" on her maiden voyage (I was third mate). I also seem to recollect he was a nice chap, quiet and unassuming . He backed me up when, in Liverpool, I refused to attend the old man's maiden voyage cocktail parties, as I ,obviously, preferred to go and visit my girlfriend in Warrington.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Tony - did you ever meet my father, Norman Wray? We sailed out to the Persian Gulf (I was 6!) with my family in 1963, leaving London on Nov 5th and getting as far as Basra, I think. We must have returned around May 1964. He was Chief Officer at the time.
I sailed with your father as a cadet - I remember him well (tall, slim, grey haired, and walked with a limp from WWll)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I sailed with your father as a cadet - I remember him well (tall, slim, grey haired, and walked with a limp from WWll)
Hello Jack/ Looking at the flag it seems you live in Canada. I seem to remember you having an altercation with a train whilst in a car, in that country. Also, having put your head, or was it one of the others, through my guitar, your though you’d replace it by buying me a pokey yukelele from the Azores. 🤣🤣🤣 Happy times. Hope you are well Jack - Tony Shaw.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Tony, Happy to say I wasn't in the rented car when they argued with the train - not far from where I now live actually. I was onboard when the police arrived, nobody was seriously hurt, but Sparks came back to the ship while the police were questioning us and although he didn't know why they were there he decided to let their tires down "in case they were up to no good". The old man paid the fines and all was well. As for the guitar no it wasn't me either - I also had a guitar by the way, so must've been one of the others. All well here - trust same with you - retired now of course. Went from Stricks to Ben to Shell to Mullions to Maersk to Offshore Marine to Zapata and then ashore with them, thento Swedish Orient Line and finally ARC (it's the American end of WWL). Now I'm skipper on a VLLM - ie a very large lawn mower.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi Tony, Happy to say I wasn't in the rented car when they argued with the train - not far from where I now live actually. I was onboard when the police arrived, nobody was seriously hurt, but Sparks came back to the ship while the police were questioning us and although he didn't know why they were there he decided to let their tires down "in case they were up to no good". The old man paid the fines and all was well. As for the guitar no it wasn't me either - I also had a guitar by the way, so must've been one of the others. All well here - trust same with you - retired now of course. Went from Stricks to Ben to Shell to Mullions to Maersk to Offshore Marine to Zapata and then ashore with them, thento Swedish Orient Line and finally ARC (it's the American end of WWL). Now I'm skipper on a VLLM - ie a very large lawn mower.
Hello Jack, well that explains it all.🤣🤣. Also I remember a damaged cabin door 😱. No I cannot remember the Edinburgh lad but I can picture his face (as I can picture all your young faces) I actually have a photo of you four on top of the boat deck awning. Will try and get it transmitted to you if I can. I did two trips on the “Floristan”, then went ashore for a few years as Lockmaster on the Manchester Ship Canal, then went back to sea with Harrison’s, then Esso and ended up skipper on the aggregate ships owned by South Coast Shipping/RMC Marine/Cemex, then retirement. All well here Jack as I hope you are. Take care and keep in touch. Tony.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow I had forgotten about the door! If you have that picture I would really appreciate it Tony. As a by the way, I don't know if you heard but when we left the vessel - I think in Antwerp - we returned home to UK by overnight ferry and that evening at sea on the ferry after too many beers an argument started between Chris Hobbs and Stuart Foster and they went out to duke it out, and Chris got badly kicked and police were waiting. Chris did recover but he and Stuart were sacked and I got "demoted" to the Tangistan (I don't know what happened to Jock) under Capt Louis Liddle. Liddle was a real tyrant and few people would sail with him - so much so that they actually couldn't find a 3rd Mate for him in time so on sailing day I offered to sail as uncertificated 3rd Mate (I was 19 at the time). After he got over his outrage at the suggestion he agreed and got a dispensation, and I endured a miserable second voyage with him having already sailed with him also as first trip Cadet. We often came very close to blows, and I quit as we signed off in UK at the end of the voyage. Good experience!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow I had forgotten about the door! If you have that picture I would really appreciate it Tony. As a by the way, I don't know if you heard but when we left the vessel - I think in Antwerp - we returned home to UK by overnight ferry and that evening at sea on the ferry after too many beers an argument started between Chris Hobbs and Stuart Foster and they went out to duke it out, and Chris got badly kicked and police were waiting. Chris did recover but he and Stuart were sacked and I got "demoted" to the Tangistan (I don't know what happened to Jock) under Capt Louis Liddle. Liddle was a real tyrant and few people would sail with him - so much so that they actually couldn't find a 3rd Mate for him in time so on sailing day I offered to sail as uncertificated 3rd Mate (I was 19 at the time). After he got over his outrage at the suggestion he agreed and got a dispensation, and I endured a miserable second voyage with him having already sailed with him also as first trip Cadet. We often came very close to blows, and I quit as we signed off in UK at the end of the voyage. Good experience!
Hello again Jack/ Bloody hell, that was quite an experience for you all on the ferry, especially with the repercussions,etc. Was the old man on the ferry (Caine ?) or did he hire a private jet ? 🤣🤣. So you don’t live far from Fort William, I have a newspaper cutting of when the “Floristan” berthed there. I remember the R/O on there, nice chap but a bit of a mad bugger. I’m glad I wasn’t working for Strick’s when P & O took over, as from all accounts it was a complete hash up. Anyway, Jack, send me your e-mail address or if you are on Facebook, and, as I say, I’ll try and forward that photo even though it isn’t in brilliant condition. Incidentally, I’m in touch with another Strick cadet, Bernard Toft, sailed with him on the “Gorjistan. Take care Jack. Tony.

·
Registered
9 Posts
[/QUOTE]
Hi Tony, no the train incident was during the stop in Toronto (where we went for the sugar cleaning and hold survey for the grain) which is close to where I now live. I haven't been back to Fort William (which is actually just a part of Thunder Bay - Canadians don't call it Fort William). And yes the old man was Caine (he wasn't on the ferry) - he had his wife and daughter with him.
I am on Facebook by the way and email [email protected]

Cheers/Jack

1 - 20 of 23 Posts