Ships Nostalgia banner

181 - 196 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
USSCo,Shell,P&O,Bank Line, ODA BSI, pilot Orkney,Honiara,Yambu,Dubai,Yeman, Oil Movements Egypt,etc
91 Posts
The Strick Vessels I sailed on had their own search lights.

·
Registered
493 Posts
What was the purpose of the canal light? A headlight? To make sure you did not run into the ship in front of you?
They were twin lights which projected forward at a set angle apart. Along the edge of the dredged canal are reflector buoys set at relatively close intervals. At night the two beams relected off a port and starboard buoy and you are in the center of the canal. Should one not be see by the quartermaster then course was corrected till the two were seen.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mike

Well I never knew that, learn something everyday - very logical. I always thought it was a money raising enterprise and to support the Egyptian tobacco and cigarette trade. I feel chasened.

·
Registered
600 Posts
They were twin lights which projected forward at a set angle apart. Along the edge of the dredged canal are reflector buoys set at relatively close intervals. At night the two beams relected off a port and starboard buoy and you are in the center of the canal. Should one not be see by the quartermaster then course was corrected till the two were seen.
Most interesting On one of my two trips through the canal the Old Man told me that he preferred to have "the shore" to supply the light as if "the ships " was used the Pilot's would constantly complain about it.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I wonder how long the good that came out of this publicity will last.

Radio 4 prime time last evening feature on vessels commercially abandoned with their crews. Mission to Seafarers spokesman and at least one victim interviewed (incidentally victim was in Egypt, What're the odds that editor/journalist concerned suddenly left at loose end after story of Ever Given went off the boil? (suspect it remains very much on the boil in insurance circles).

·
Registered
600 Posts
I see that tomorrow night on Sky Do***ents ch.b114?there is a program" The Suez Canal and the Bilion Dollar Boat " covering the affairs of the "Ever Given"

·
Registered
600 Posts
I see that the JCB driver who seems to have paid a sizeable part in freeing to ship from its situation still hasn't been paid his wages, let alone a bonus!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I see that the JCB driver who seems to have paid a sizeable part in freeing to ship from its situation still hasn't been paid his wages, let alone a bonus!
There seems to be disagreement on this point- His employers claim to have paid him.

·
Registered
600 Posts
There seems to be disagreement on this point- His employers claim to have paid him.
"Backsheese" they cried. At the very least it a case of "see you boys right" with some form of bonus!

181 - 196 of 196 Posts