Ships Nostalgia banner

121 - 140 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,845 Posts
1967 - 1974. The whole system came to a grinding halt! 1972 I was running Geelong to Alexandria.... 42 days each way and around the Cape. I wonder why they did not send the ship to Port Suez for discharge instead all the way around?

·
Registered
308 Posts
rogd has hit the real nail on the head:

"the whole model of the supply chain needs to change"

That simply means us all changing our buying patterns.
Instead of relying on the obscene amounts of imported goods cheaply manufactured in China we should be rebuilding our own manufacturing capability to compete.
It sickens me that virtually everything we buy here in UK is "Made in China".
I note they have dropped "PRC" Peoples's Repubic of China which is a scandalous oxymoron.
Any country that adds "Democratic" or "Peoples" to its name certainly is neither.

These islands and our (ex) friends in €urope were once the hub of world innovation and manufacturing.
Can we get back to that and make the Suez Canal virtually obsolete?

Ponder over a pint or two!

·
Registered
308 Posts
As an example, I was in Aldi yesterday and bought a set of what looked exactly like HOZELOCK brass hose fittings.

Only when I got home did I notice the tiny writing etched into the brass "Made in" you-know-where!!!

Grrrr

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Varley wrote
"She seems to have two throwbusters. It would be interesting if they are (for whatever their maximum rated time is). Not so much to move vessel but to cut away the bank.."

Two, forward tunnel thrusters rated at 2,500kW / 3,399bhp (not clear in the viewed data if this is each, or total power).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Pippin
#124 #125 I agree. But how many years ago was it, the campaign “Buy British”
Several years ago, went to Kennedy Space Centre. Everything but everything in the souvenir shop was, grrrrr as you say

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I don't know enough about their construction Stephen but doubt they allow for ingresses of that nature anyway. I think it more likely that starting them in silt is/would be problematic especially if of reduced voltage type (not sure how an electronic job would behave). Anyway what price a thruster or two in the present cir***stances? All gennies on the board, rig for DOL. Press the button.

·
Registered
600 Posts
rogd has hit the real nail on the head:

AInstead of relying on the obscene amounts of imported goods cheaply manufactured in China we should be rebuilding our own manufacturing capability to compete.
I note they have dropped "PRC" Peoples's Repubic of China which is a scandalous oxymoron.
Any country that adds "Democratic" or "Peoples" to its name certainly is neither.

My experience is that everyone wants things to be made in the UK but they want the goods at China prices!

These islands and our (ex) friends in €urope were once the hub of world innovation and manufacturing.

Ponder over a pint or two!

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Pippin said:-

Instead of relying on the obscene amounts of imported goods cheaply manufactured in China we should be rebuilding our own manufacturing capability to compete.

(y)(y)(y)(y)
Bang on, & if we have to pay more then use less.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Has anybody seen an AIS plot of the course before the stranding, looked everywhere but can't find any data. must be some if 13Kt is true.
With that windage the head would blow off in jiffy, as I found to my cost when trying to anchor an underpowered square rigger in confined spaces, head to 35 kts of wind, drop, and the head blows of at 5 knots, long before the hook is on the bottom

·
Registered
316 Posts

Stephen

It was also blocked during1964 mainly stopping loaded tankers.

A loaded barge conveniently sank in the canal as a demonstration to Khruschev USSR. who I believe was visiting Egypt at the time. Demonstrating on how to slow down oil imports to Europe and the West. Ships at a lesser draft still managed to transit the canal.

During this time I was on one of the the deepest permissible trial draft (40 ft.), 12.19m tankers, ( William Wheelwright ) programmed to transit at the new declared draft. Having loaded at Mina for lavera south of France. We remained at Suez anchorage with many other mostly UK flagged tankers for about 12 days. However it was not all bad as we managed a visit to Cairo and the Pyramids, plus regular swaps of Wallport films, some logged, some not with other ships at anchor.

Back in the day some larger tankers after clearing the canal would proceed to Baniyas, Syria to top off, maximizing their cargo from a submerged pipe line. This oil came from Iraq, however due to it becoming unreliable due to political reasons the topping off there came to a halt.

Then of course the 1956 Suez Crisis saw it blocked with ships and mines.

I read now ships speeds have increased dramatically to what I experienced, so much for bank effect and waves washing the banks away. The Bum Boat men must have some scary times with their laden cargo of who knows what?!

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Reported this morning as on the move. No clear if just realigned to channel or continuing through the canal

·
Registered
23 Posts
It would seem that although they have managed to swing the stern away from the bank, the bow is still firmly embedded in the other bank.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Varley wrote
"She seems to have two throwbusters. It would be interesting if they are (for whatever their maximum rated time is). Not so much to move vessel but to cut away the bank.."

Two, forward tunnel thrusters rated at 2,500kW / 3,399bhp (not clear in the viewed data if this is each, or total power).
As big a ship as she is thats is probably each bow thruster rated at 2500 kW

·
Premium Member
11,845 Posts
I would suspect BOTH sides of the thruster tunnel are into the sand. It will suck sand from one side and not very far into the other side. They are for liquids, not solids.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
I see you would reject a straw because it was not meant for in-water rescue, Stephen. If one had simply wrecked a thruster or two in avoiding/hoo-harless-recovery from the grounding think how much better for everyone's economy (if we ignore the effect on balance of payments that is).

The BBC have just told us that she is now on course again but still aground! A concept for which no charter party has yet devised a clause ("Always afloat or safely aground"/"Safely aground, pointing in the right direction"?) .

·
Registered
565 Posts
I guess they did what I suggested ie the crew stand on the fo'castle and jump up and down thus liquifying the water/sand mixture under the bow.
QED !

121 - 140 of 196 Posts