Ships Nostalgia banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
I seem to remember writing MOTPA ie Master's Order to Pilot's Advice in the Bridge Movement Book so I guess it's the Old Man's fault every time ?
Just Googled it and they say TMOPA

·
Premium Member
11,816 Posts
There is only ONE 'port' where the PILOT is 'IN CHARGE' and is RESPONSIBLE for the ship.... Panama Canal.

The Master might go through the canal a dozen of time a year. The pilots will go through 200 times a year.... more or less. The pilots are their for 'local knowledge'. The ship would not enter the canal without the pilot giving the permission to proceed. If the weather is not suitable for the size of the vessel, the pilot should have not started the transit.

·
Premium Member
10,503 Posts
The insurances situation in general must be interesting and I thought about GA but what part of the ship or cargo was sacrificed in order to preserve the rest? (If Stephen had let me press the blue touchpaper to a DOL thruster attempt and that had might have counted had it blown the prunes out of itself or the switchboard). We must have some better expertise here to offer an opinion?

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
Most of the "expertise" we were accustomed to in better days have been banned or moved on.

BW

J:cool::cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Big boat blocks other big boats. Calm down, no drink spilled, no horses frightened A few containers of cheap tat will be late on shelves. Perhaps we will buy Lyle & Scott jocks instead of Primark rubbish from Burma and Ceylon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Ever Given owner has now declared GA see link

The ship is still at anchor in the Great Bitter Lake.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know enough about their construction Stephen but doubt they allow for ingresses of that nature anyway. I think it more likely that starting them in silt is/would be problematic especially if of reduced voltage type (not sure how an electronic job would behave). Anyway what price a thruster or two in the present cir***stances? All gennies on the board, rig for DOL. Press the button.
Agree with the idea that the thrusters should be considered sacrificial if using them would help, can you explain ‘DOL’, not familiar with that term.

·
Premium Member
10,503 Posts
RE 169#

DOL Direct on Line or 'across the line'. It may be necessary to start large loads so that they do not cause the voltage to drop by more than ? % (I can expand on that if you like but the blue book is not to hand). In my day that meant star delta or transformer start (well, I was not totally ignorant of semiconductor starters).

One problem these starters introduce is that as well as reducing the voltage 'dip' they reduce the available starting torque. If the drive has some extra load at starting it may not run up to an adequate speed before the switching over to full line voltage. In this case the current spike may approach or exceed that for which the short circuit protection is designed. Starting DOL instead would give maximum available torque to overcome any silt impediment and still only incur the 5-7 times nameplate rated full load current that such a start would typically demand. There would still be a more sustained large starting current (hence all genies on line to provide it without the voltage dropping off, one might also have to supply a local starter with it's own power supply otherwise it might simply drop out as drop at a local starter sharing the same cables would be higher).

·
Registered
6,989 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
I see the latest news is that the Suez Canal Authority is demanding $1bn in compensation for the blockage and warns the Ever Given ( still in Great Bitter Lake) will not be allowed to leave if the claim goes to litigation.

·
Premium Member
10,503 Posts
I don't see how it cannot go to litigation.

Claim well beyond a commercial operation to cough up so will have to come from P&I. Which P&I would compromise its members by coughing up unless that was legally required.

Can such delays be described and quantified as part of the Suez tariffs ?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't see how it cannot go to litigation.

Claim well beyond a commercial operation to cough up so will have to come from P&I. Which P&I would compromise its members by coughing up unless that was legally required.

Can such delays be described and quantified as part of the Suez tariffs ?
They are being quantified and added to the contract as we speak.
Send up the PSC Officers from Alexandria and Evergreen will be well and truly fleeced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If it worked then it would be fine. The thing is, it wouldn't work. You have to assume that there is clear water on one side and then the sand is other the other.

The good news is that the ship underway... I hope no more than 6 knots! Head for Port Said. Underwater survey and then see where she goes next... Rotterdam for discharge and drydock or take her to Alang!
Whist sailing as a Junior Engineer on the SS Mobil Eagle (early 1965) we had a similar experience. A dust storm blew up and the pilot put the bow up on the bank and the stern swung around and we blocked the Canal. Not sure how long we were aground but I think less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
316 Posts
There is only ONE 'port' where the PILOT is 'IN CHARGE' and is RESPONSIBLE for the ship.... Panama Canal.

The Master might go through the canal a dozen of time a year. The pilots will go through 200 times a year.... more or less. The pilots are their for 'local knowledge'. The ship would not enter the canal without the pilot giving the permission to proceed. If the weather is not suitable for the size of the vessel, the pilot should have not started the transit.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Regarding the Panama Canal, I realise this was the case when the US was running it. Just wondered if still remains the same and the Panama Canal Company carries the insurance of the ship whilst transit?

·
Registered
97 Posts
As I recall during Canal transits in the 70's, in addition to the one or two Pilots, we were forced to embark an Electrician to operate the Suez Searchlight and two Boatmen c/w small wooden punt to take a line ashore should the ship loose way. Is this arrangement still in use and were the Boatmen deployed?

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oh yes "the Suez Canal Boatman's cabin". Once used by a very enterprising young lady during a drydocking in the Far East !

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ahh the searchlight! If you were lucky you were on a ship with its own searchlight (in the focsle behind the bow plaque which was on a swing doow. Otherwise toe light was towed out and lifted up to the bow level with lines from the windlass and hung off..

161 - 180 of 193 Posts