Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Suggestions ~ polite ones preferred ~ please Gentlemen.

How does one ascertain the happiest ship one was ever on and for what reason/s? The Skipper? Your fellow crew members? The food? The ports of call? The ship itself and for what reason/s? A personal reason not falling under any of the above categories.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I note graham you have the illustrious title of 'PIPE' I assume you mean bacci? not that spitting stuff one bites and chews the end off, and the teeth go black? and one 'hocks around the ship on deck and in the bilges?
You are off course a gentleman, and have many a comment under these pages of SN, great? I was with my finger in my fundemental orifice and a below deck character, wondering what comments you may wish? At this time of 'corona virus', and some of us oldies spending time on the computer, wondering where one can exchange sane conversation these days? I am locked in a mind set of political UK Blurb, and eagerly await my diet of 16.30 to 18.00 of some politician of note informing today, and everyday what I may do? At present I am 'masked' so you cannot hear me of see my lips move! Except off course for those lips of the fundemental orifice, when I have a bowl movement, and pass a comment or 2.
I am unsure of the happiest ship, some of the hard times I saw and shared with shipmates some truer moments. Would I go to sea again as a career on tankers, below decks, yes, it has been an experience in life, and while I have had my moments overall the experience has taught me a lot about life, and if one is true to oneself, one can look back not in anger, or regret, but joy and happiness for the lessons learnt in life from one's fellow seafarers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
The best ship is the one that you have just left and the worst one is the one you are about to join so I was once told!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Suggestions ~ polite ones preferred ~ please Gentlemen.

How does one ascertain the happiest ship one was ever on and for what reason/s? The Skipper? Your fellow crew members? The food? The ports of call? The ship itself and for what reason/s? A personal reason not falling under any of the above categories.
I would say the attitude of the individual would be the main contribution to a happy ship, so here is mine it was a ten year adventure with pay, an adventure Amongst others Never forgotten as the post is the reminder of that, however to be fair in answering your question, it would have to be the Arethusa Training ship at thirteen years of age on an eighteen month voyage at anchor fore and aft in the Medway at upnor Kent, Joyful times for an impressionable teenager. All the best. Canadian

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would say the attitude of the individual would be the main contribution to a happy ship, so here is mine it was a ten year adventure with pay, an adventure Amongst others Never forgotten as the post is the reminder of that, however to be fair in answering your question, it would have to be the Arethusa Training ship at thirteen years of age on an eighteen month voyage at anchor fore and aft in the Medway at upnor Kent, Joyful times for an impressionable teenager. All the best. Canadian
Thanks for that snippet Canadian, I have no contact with the Arethusa, except to say when I was having a yarn about the old "wooden walls" at the foot of the gangway to HMS "Victory" ( I was a cadet on a sister training ship HMS Conway) with one of the staff of that ship he told me he had been on the Arethusa.
Could we have talked about manning the mast? I can`t really remember.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for that snippet Canadian, I have no contact with the Arethusa, except to say when I was having a yarn about the old "wooden walls" at the foot of the gangway to HMS "Victory" ( I was a cadet on a sister training ship HMS Conway) with one of the staff of that ship he told me he had been on the Arethusa.
Could we have talked about manning the mast? I can`t really remember.
Many Arethusa Lads finished their training and joined the RN via HMS Ganges in Shotley, They had a tradition of manning the mast with the button boy standing on the truck.Arethusa was a four masted barque with only three yard arms on the foremast she is at present being restored to her former glory the "Peking" in Hamburg. Keep Safe (C)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts