The TALAMANCA, VERAGUA and QUIRIGUA originated on the express passenger service from New York to Central America and had been built in 1932 at Baltimore and Newport, News. They were oil-fired, 16.5 knot, turbo-electrical powered banana boats of 7,500grt with dimensions of 448ft length and a 60ft beam. Fyffes renamed them SULACO(II), SINALOA and SAMALA(II) respectively with London registration. Although it is doubtful if they were as economic in operation as the more modern CHANGUINOLA(II), it probably made good commercial sense to put them under the British flag and scrap the old coal burners.
19 KB Views: 251