Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This had me thinking: -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/...uarantined-cabins-cruise-ship-Aida-Prima.html

Seem to remember these sulfa horse pills were pretty good at sorting these ailments....

Dont think its part of the ships medical chest any longer? probably because (as described by a google search) the side effects are 'Gastrointestinal effects, hypersensitivity reactions, kidney damage, liver impairment, heart disease, low blood sugar, under active thyroid, neurological reactions, intestinal inflammation, jaundice'- These sound like similar side effects from a night on the Tennants or allsops lager!!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Don't know-----

This had me thinking: -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/...uarantined-cabins-cruise-ship-Aida-Prima.html

Seem to remember these sulfa horse pills were pretty good at sorting these ailments....

Dont think its part of the ships medical chest any longer? probably because (as described by a google search) the side effects are 'Gastrointestinal effects, hypersensitivity reactions, kidney damage, liver impairment, heart disease, low blood sugar, under active thyroid, neurological reactions, intestinal inflammation, jaundice'- These sound like similar side effects from a night on the Tennants or allsops lager!!
----about Tennants or Allslops giving you "a head like Birkenhead" but, having drunk the ship, (Brock's "Mathetran"), dry owing to a l-o-n-g trip, and when we were Homeward bound, we called-in at Aden for bunkers and the Chief Steward, (Ben Rimmer), stocked-up with Dutch Oranjeboom.

THAT stuff was guaranteed to give you a bad head!

Whereas you could sink 6/8/10+ Tennents you NEVER got a 'head' but a couple of Oranjeboom and your headache(Cloud) was guaranteed!

The 'boom' in the name gave you a clue! Phil

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
Another. Strangely brewed in the sharia bound Pakistan is Heineken Elephant beer. Even Brian French, as fond of beer as myself, had to take it as shandy (a trip on Endurance Glory).

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
"after a virus is thought to have swept the vessel ".

If they get that kind of thing in to do the cleaning, the results can't be a surprise. Anyway, just a blast over with a sweeping brush won't help. Needs a good steam cleaning, then towing to sea and scuttling.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Heineken Elephant beer.
"Enjoy together with spicy dishes and heavy food, such as yellow peas, roasted duck or fried eel."

That sounds really dangerous, there should be a cordon sanitaire round any place that serves Elephant beer, yellow peas and fried eel.

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
I've not been served cordon sanitaire cuisine. Do they qualify for Michelin stars?

Perhaps yellow peas and eel are bad for hangovers. Elephant beer is certainly good for them.

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
----about Tennants or Allslops giving you "a head like Birkenhead" but, having drunk the ship, (Brock's "Mathetran"), dry owing to a l-o-n-g trip, and when we were Homeward bound, we called-in at Aden for bunkers and the Chief Steward, (Ben Rimmer), stocked-up with Dutch Oranjeboom.

THAT stuff was guaranteed to give you a bad head!

Whereas you could sink 6/8/10+ Tennents you NEVER got a 'head' but a couple of Oranjeboom and your headache(Cloud) was guaranteed!

The 'boom' in the name gave you a clue! Phil
Oh Lord
oranjeboom ........Satan’s own brew. Absolutely outrageous hangovers for a mild quaffing beer

·
Registered
779 Posts
I always thought 'Tiger' was the worst for knocking the sh!t out of you. Seems a test was taken, and it was found unfit for human consumption. Onion beer in Bombay runs a close second.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
I first encountered Orangeboom as a deck boy in the Eumaeus in 1959. I went ashore in Amsterdam with the rest of the deck crowd on Saturday afternoon, bought a leather stetson in a flea market, and then went into a nearby bar where the ABs were and sank a couple of glasses of this very palatable brew. The next thing I remember was waking up on Sunday morning, on the messroom floor, clutching my new stetson, which was full to overflowing with vomit. The stetson went over the wall, I was fully recovered by Wednesday.(EEK)

·
Registered
189 Posts
"Enjoy together with spicy dishes and heavy food, such as yellow peas, roasted duck or fried eel."

That sounds really dangerous, there should be a cordon sanitaire round any place that serves Elephant beer, yellow peas and fried eel.
I think you will find that Carlsberg brewed Elephant beer and not Heineken.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Was it Tuskar we used to have in Mombassa? When complaining of a change in skin colour to yellow our ship Doctor on an Ellerman 12 said the beer contained quinine and that we had overdosed!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Oranjeboom brewed in Surabaya was quite potent.The Chief Steward bought some once and we complained bitterly about it, but since it was all we had, we eventually got used to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts