Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the name of the world's first super-tanker, what year was she built and where?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Universe Apollo

The first super tanker ever built was the Universe Apollo, built in 1958. Built for Daniel K Ludvig (I think). She was the first ship above 100 000t DW and the concept Super taker was born. Today a VLCC is considered to be above 200 000TDW.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
It depends on how you define a "supertanker". Both Sebe and Ulf are correct with their replies, depending on whether you accept the 100,000 dwt or 200,000 dwt benchmark.

The term "supertanker" is a media word anyway. I prefer to use VLCC which is generally accepted industry terminology and is defined as a ship over 199,999 dwt.

Phil

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
When did the oil industry start using the term ULCC, and at what tonnage is a tanker deemed to be a ULCC???

Frank

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
VLCC's originated in India....Very Large Curry Carriers. (*))

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
UNIVERSE LEADER built in Japan 1956 dimens.855ft by 125ft a g.t.of 51,400 and a total of 52 cargo tanks.
Gp

·
Willie
203 Posts
In December 1969, on my first ship the "Benledi" I had the unforgettable experience of passing very close to the Shell Tanker "Marpessa" as she was sinking of the coast of Senegal. At the time it was stated that she was the largest ship (206,000 tons) ever to sink.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree super-tanker could be a bit misleading as it only came in as a reference circa 1950's.
What I was looking for was a tanker that lead the world in size eventually culminating in what we know as VLCC and ULCC.
Clue pre-war built with a higher grt than even 1950's "British Peer"...

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Supertanker and Interesting Website

Frank P said:
When did the oil industry start using the term ULCC, and at what tonnage is a tanker deemed to be a ULCC???

Frank
There seem to be varying figures for the respective sizes of ULCCs and VLCCs.
From what I've seen, the ULCC tends to be in excess of 300,000 DWT and the VLCC in the range 200,000 DWT to 299,999 DWT.

As Thamesphil has said in post #5, "supertanker" is a generic term for any "large" crude carrier.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ULCC

P.S. Some of our South Coast UK members will be aware of the Solent Waters website but for anyone who hasn't had a look, believe me, it is well worth a visit. There are very few maritime matters the site doesn't touch on!

http://www.solen****ers.co.uk/

Oh oh - problem!
SN won't show the url because of the four offending letters! If you want a look at the site you will have to enter the url on your own I E address bar. The url is as shown above, but "solen
t waters" is all one word! (Thumb)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts