Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chris Rogers here. Please can any one help me to find the history of the Seamark now retired by ABP any info from its launching. Many Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hi Chris
The Pv Seamark Was Built IN Appledore Devon By Pk Harris And Sons In 1959, And Reg At 216.67 Tons,she Was Based At Swansea All Her Working Life.

SANDMAN(MARTIN)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pilot Cutter Seamark

Sandman, Many Thanks for your reply it is not the same to look out in the bay and not see her bright yellow coloures I am just starting to trace the history of all Bristol Channel Pilot Cutters, many thanks Chris (Applause)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pilot cutter seamark

Robert, Many thanks for the photo sorry for the delay in replying am going to Cardiff tomorrow to see here. Cheers Chris. (Applause)

·
1,234 Posts
I took a photo of her in the 80s in dry dock in Sharpness. I will have to try and dig it out sometime (buried amongst a load of boxes ) and scan it and put it into the gallery

At the moment she is in use by the Cardiff unit of the Maritime Volunteer Service, and the Sea Cadets as a static training base (I am with the Severn unit MVS.).

The wardroom at the bow has a slight problem in that you nearly need climbing ropes to get in and up to the leather armchairs.

She needs a far bit of work on her which is being done by the members. She’s a nice sturdy ship though, I wonder if she rolls on a ripple. Do we have any Bristol channel pilots here who could give us an insight of her character at sea.

·
Registered
350 Posts
DAVIDJM....................I was Skipper of the Seamark for a few years, started in 1960. In 1959 she crossed from Appledore to Swansea in a SW'ly 8-9 !! The Skipper on that trip was Jack Screech who had been with the SPA for many years, serving on board the old Roger Beck. During my years on board Swansea was a very busy port and the Seamark operated in some very severe weather conditions and maneuvering alongside vessels in that sort of weather could be tricky to say the least, especially some the small Dutch coasters not much longer than Seamark herself ! I was also the pilot for the Neath River & Briton Ferry which at that time was classed as a Trinity House Outport. I can only comment that the Seamark was an excellent 'seaboat'.
I do have one polaroid pic of her, I took it when she was approaching to disembark me from an outward bound Neath river vessel.....Cheers....Glan

·
1,234 Posts
Glen

We have always marvelled at the high class of seamanship shown by the pilots and crews in handling the pilot boats in all weathers and the dexterity of the pilots to get on and off the ships again in all weathers.

It has always been a pleasure to have the pilots come on board when we had to go into an area we were not too familiar with or it was a mandatory area to have a pilot on board.

I always felt a twinge of guilt that after taking us all the way (say to Gloucester) they had to find their own way home, which they take on the chin.

If we were in a pub together, I for one, will happily buy them a tot or two for their efforts.

·
Registered
1 Posts
sturdy cutter

I took a photo of her in the 80s in dry dock in Sharpness. I will have to try and dig it out sometime (buried amongst a load of boxes ) and scan it and put it into the gallery

At the moment she is in use by the Cardiff unit of the Maritime Volunteer Service, and the Sea Cadets as a static training base (I am with the Severn unit MVS.).

The wardroom at the bow has a slight problem in that you nearly need climbing ropes to get in and up to the leather armchairs.

She needs a far bit of work on her which is being done by the members. She’s a nice sturdy ship though, I wonder if she rolls on a ripple. Do we have any Bristol channel pilots here who could give us an insight of her character at sea.
The Seamark was a big part of my childhood. My dad was one of the skippers on her for over thirty years. She is a beautiful vessel, even though ravaged with age. I have many happy memories of visiting my dad at work and having the odd trip in her.
My father passed away in 2000, his final journey was aboard the Seamark in order that his ashes could be scattered in Swansea Bay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Seamark"

I'm new to this sight, I'm looking for photo's of the Seamark pilot cutter based at Swansea Docks. My Dad worked on her from 1960 - 1995. If any body can help It would be really appreciated. My Dad Died in 2000 so this would really mean a lot to me

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Seamark

Hi Chris Rogers here. Please can any one help me to find the history of the Seamark now retired by ABP any info from its launching. Many Thanks, Chris
Hi Chris.
I dont know if you already know,but the Seamark is up for
sale for £27.000,and if not sold by July,it will be scrapped,
it was offered to the Swansea branch of the MNA,but was
turned down.If you log onto PILOT BOATS FOR SALE you
will find it.

Dave Williams(R583900)

·
Banned
2 Posts
The Seamark was a big part of my childhood. My dad was one of the skippers on her for over thirty years. She is a beautiful vessel, even though ravaged with age. I have many happy memories of visiting my dad at work and having the odd trip in her.
My father passed away in 2000, his final journey was aboard the Seamark in order that his ashes could be scattered in Swansea Bay.
I had a family member who worked on the Seamark as an Engineer and I would like to track as many people who have any connections with the Seamark Pilot Cutter, e.g worked on the ship, family members, any old photos or video or any stories that they may like to share. Please get in touch, i would love to hear from you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Up To Date News On The Seamark

Those interested in this fine old vessel - keep your eyes on this thread.

The plan is to bring her back to Swansea for restoration to her original colours etc. She will then be loaned to the Swansea Museum as part of the floating collection.

More news as it becomes available

·
Registered
350 Posts
Seamark

Thats good news, I was with Swansea Pilotage Authority in the early 1960's, was skipper on board for about four years.(K)

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
I used to know the Dock Manager of Swansea, a Mr. Swallow. He was a good friend of my Granddad.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts