Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this question once before without much response but there is now a much larger membership with some very knowledgeable members.
I am trying to find out what happened to the Wendorian. She used to be the training vessel for the King Edward VII Nautical College in London during the 50s & early 60s. She was a regular sight on the Thames as every week she would take a group of would be apprentices from Wapping Basin to Southend where she would anchor for the weekend before making her way back to Wapping on the Monday.
I believe that she was built in 1903 by Hawthorne & Co of Leith, reputedly to be either the King of Spain's or the King of Portugal's Royal yacht. I think her original name was Stephanotis. Her signal letters were GKKB, her official number was 113178 & she was of 143 gross tons.
Hoping Ruud, or someone, can help out with this & I have attached a photo of her in Wapping Basin.
 

Attachments

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
Joined
·
11,591 Posts
John,

No idea of SY Wendorian's ultimate fate. You've probably seen all this stuff before, but Google turned the following links up.

http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/wendorian.html

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/wspd...onhams.com/&sPath=2004-08/11/6675367-83-2.jpg

http://www.steamboat.org.uk/wwwboard/messages/3464.htm

http://www.steamboat.org.uk/wwwboard/messages/3334.htm

Good luck with your quest.

p.s. Just noticed that John Firman provided one of the photographs in the first link. If that is you, I'm sorry if I've wasted your time.
 

·
7147604
Joined
·
1,234 Posts
hello John

i hope this will help according to wss marine news dec 61 p 310

she was sold by G E Milligan Stalham, Norfolk, to dutch shipbreakers arrived New Waterway 17/11/61

she looked a lovely vessel.
I think she may have been spanish not portugues as that one had to funnels

david
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DAVIDJM said:
hello John

i hope this will help according to wss marine news dec 61 p 310

she was sold by G E Milligan Stalham, Norfolk, to dutch shipbreakers arrived New Waterway 17/11/61

she looked a lovely vessel.
I think she may have been spanish not portugues as that one had to funnels

david
David,
Many thanks for that information. Do you know where New Waterway is?
She was a lovely looking vessel & I thoroughly enjoyed (looking back!!) my week aboard her. Much time spent on lifeboat drill. No Welin McLaughlin davits on her! Block & tackle only which certainly increased the size of your biceps.
Kind regards,
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gulpers said:
John,

No idea of SY Wendorian's ultimate fate. You've probably seen all this stuff before, but Google turned the following links up.

http://www.merchant-navy.net/Pictures/wendorian.html

http://www.bonhams.com/cgi-bin/wspd...onhams.com/&sPath=2004-08/11/6675367-83-2.jpg

http://www.steamboat.org.uk/wwwboard/messages/3464.htm

http://www.steamboat.org.uk/wwwboard/messages/3334.htm

Good luck with your quest.

p.s. Just noticed that John Firman provided one of the photographs in the first link. If that is you, I'm sorry if I've wasted your time.
Gulpers,
Many thanks for that but yes - I had explored those contacts & yes - that was me who posted the photo in the first link but thanks for your interest. Hopefully I'll find out a bit more from this site.
Kind regards,
John Firmin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,235 Posts
John_F said:
I have asked this question once before without much response but there is now a much larger membership with some very knowledgeable members.
I am trying to find out what happened to the Wendorian. She used to be the training vessel for the King Edward VII Nautical College in London during the 50s & early 60s. She was a regular sight on the Thames as every week she would take a group of would be apprentices from Wapping Basin to Southend where she would anchor for the weekend before making her way back to Wapping on the Monday.
I believe that she was built in 1903 by Hawthorne & Co of Leith, reputedly to be either the King of Spain's or the King of Portugal's Royal yacht. I think her original name was Stephanotis. Her signal letters were GKKB, her official number was 113178 & she was of 143 gross tons.
Hoping Ruud, or someone, can help out with this & I have attached a photo of her in Wapping Basin.
Have no idea of her fate, but have some good memories of her. Did three King Ted's training weeks on her plus delivery trip in December 1958 and redelivery February 1959 to Richards yard Lowestoff for drydocking.
Lifeboat drills were continuous and most taxing when the Chief Engineer increased the revs just as you had finally rowed the boat alongside. Once restowed in the radial davits the Mate would throw the oil drum overboard once again. However the worst was picking low card with the reward of trimmimg the wing coal bunkers. The only bright spot to that chore was the use of the Captains bath after.
During my time, she was under the command of Capt. Griffiths who was an absolute Gentleman who even ten years later remembered the names of all Cadets who had sailed under him.
She was definately the most beutiful ship I ever sailed on. I understood she was the ex-Spanish Royal Yacht and was actually on load to King Ted's from Billy Butlin who used her as his private yacht and escort vessel for the Channel Swim that he sponsored each year
Regards
Bob Upshon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
John.
The New Waterway or "Nieuwe Waterweg" in Dutch is the major river through Rotterdam, like the Thames in London.
It actually is the last stretch of the river Rhine but called New Waterway in Rotterdam until it runs into the North Sea.
Then there was a shipyard in Schiedam (next door to Rotterdam) called Werf Nieuwe Waterweg. This was actually a subsidiary or the Rotterdamse Droogdok Maatschappij (RDM) and I spent heaps of time on that yard from 1961 onwards.
There were, by memory, 2 floating drydocks.
It is now closed down and the only way to find archives here is to approach the RDM I would say.
Jan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jan Hendrik said:
John.
The New Waterway or "Nieuwe Waterweg" in Dutch is the major river through Rotterdam, like the Thames in London.
It actually is the last stretch of the river Rhine but called New Waterway in Rotterdam until it runs into the North Sea.
Then there was a shipyard in Schiedam (next door to Rotterdam) called Werf Nieuwe Waterweg. This was actually a subsidiary or the Rotterdamse Droogdok Maatschappij (RDM) and I spent heaps of time on that yard from 1961 onwards.
There were, by memory, 2 floating drydocks.
It is now closed down and the only way to find archives here is to approach the RDM I would say.
Jan
Jan,
Many thanks for that - I did go to Rotterdam once with BP but never heard the New Waterway mentioned.
Regards,
John.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keltic Star said:
Have no idea of her fate, but have some good memories of her. Did three King Ted's training weeks on her plus delivery trip in December 1958 and redelivery February 1959 to Richards yard Lowestoff for drydocking.
Lifeboat drills were continuous and most taxing when the Chief Engineer increased the revs just as you had finally rowed the boat alongside. Once restowed in the radial davits the Mate would throw the oil drum overboard once again. However the worst was picking low card with the reward of trimmimg the wing coal bunkers. The only bright spot to that chore was the use of the Captains bath after.
During my time, she was under the command of Capt. Griffiths who was an absolute Gentleman who even ten years later remembered the names of all Cadets who had sailed under him.
She was definately the most beutiful ship I ever sailed on. I understood she was the ex-Spanish Royal Yacht and was actually on load to King Ted's from Billy Butlin who used her as his private yacht and escort vessel for the Channel Swim that he sponsored each year
Regards
Bob Upshon
Bob,
Welcome to the site & I hope you find it as interesting as I do.
The Wendorian was certainly a very graceful vessel though home comforts down below were a bit on the spartan side. My only trip on the Wendorian took place in October 1958 when I was doing a 3 month pre-sea training course at King Ted's before joining BP as a Navigating Apprentice. We must have been at King Ted's together if you sailed on her in December of that year. Captain Griffiths was indeed a perfect gentleman & I have attached a photo of him which was taken at the end of our trip plus one of us all who completed the trip with the cook (Forget his name but most important member of the crew!). You may know some of the faces - I am on the extreme left.
Kind regards,
John F
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
I was a student cadet at KEVII in 1953. I have fond memories of cruising on the Wendorian. At that time Captain Griffiths was still a lecturer at the college, and one of the favorite instructors. Rumor has it that while he was still shipping-out aboard merchant vessels, a lady passenger asked why he wore a beard. An Apprentice volunteered the information that Captain Griffith had been eating peas off his knife when the ship lurched and he grew the beard to cover the resulting scar. In December 1953, returning to Wapping Basin after completing a training cruise aboard the Wendorian, I broke out in chicken-pox... at the time a highly contageous disease. The entire crew was placed in quarantine and were kept aboard the Wendorian for the entire Christmas holidays. I, however, being beyond the incubation stage of the disease was allowed to go home and spent Christmas with my family. I was not very popular when classes resumed at KEVII after Christmas. Frank Baldwin.
John_F said:
David,
Many thanks for that information. Do you know where New Waterway is?
She was a lovely looking vessel & I thoroughly enjoyed (looking back!!) my week aboard her. Much time spent on lifeboat drill. No Welin McLaughlin davits on her! Block & tackle only which certainly increased the size of your biceps.
Kind regards,
John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,235 Posts
Frank Baldwin said:
I was a student cadet at KEVII in 1953. I have fond memories of cruising on the Wendorian. At that time Captain Griffiths was still a lecturer at the college, and one of the favorite instructors. Rumor has it that while he was still shipping-out aboard merchant vessels, a lady passenger asked why he wore a beard. An Apprentice volunteered the information that Captain Griffith had been eating peas off his knife when the ship lurched and he grew the beard to cover the resulting scar. In December 1953, returning to Wapping Basin after completing a training cruise aboard the Wendorian, I broke out in chicken-pox... at the time a highly contageous disease. The entire crew was placed in quarantine and were kept aboard the Wendorian for the entire Christmas holidays. I, however, being beyond the incubation stage of the disease was allowed to go home and spent Christmas with my family. I was not very popular when classes resumed at KEVII after Christmas. Frank Baldwin.

I think Captain Griffiths told that story to all Cadets. he used it on us at dinner the first night aboard. It seemed to be icebreaker.

He and Capt. Miller took a group of us down the Thames in the whalers on a Bank Holiday weekend. We actually sailed them rather than the usual rowing in West India Dock and I was lucky to be driven back to the residence at Cromwell Road in Capt. Griffith's ancient Jag convertible. A most memorable weekend.

Any ex KEVII guy's remember the motor launch used for boatwork that was moored alongside the H.Q.S. Wellington?
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Keltic Star said:
Any ex KEVII guy's remember the motor launch used for boatwork that was moored alongside the H.Q.S. Wellington?
Bob
Bob,
I think she was called the Magellan but not sure. I remember on one occasion, with Captain Miller in command, taking it from Wapping Basin back to the Wellington. In Shadwell Basin he decided to show us how powerful the Magellan was by taking in tow a London barge. Unfortunately, going through the locks, the barge man didn't get a line ashore quickly enough to slow his progress & the Magellan acted as a fender for the barge against the lock wall. Much creaking of timbers & we cadets thought we would be taking a dip. However, she must have been very strongly built as she survived with no signs of any leaks & we made it to the Wellington without any further happenings, where I had my first experience of climbing a rope ladder.
Kind regards,
John.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
TS/SY Wendorian

I commenced my seagoing career at KE V11 NC 1952 and indeed have very fond memories of her - notably the coal fired boilers, and covering an early morning watch at anchor, in the boiler room with strict instructions - two shovels of coal every hour or similar -I put the whole lot in as soon as he left and got my head down within an hour the safety valve blew!!!! The noise - I will not bore you with further details,you can guess.
I followed thro' a few years ago regarding "Wendorian" in Ships Monthly and had a wonderful reply from Capt Miller, Master at the time I was aboard - a copy of his reply which I think will answer all your questions, I will post ASAP.
I have only just registered so hope I can get things right, if not please bear with me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
S/Y Wendorian

Macjack,
Welcome to the site - don't become addicted like the rest of us!
Look forward to reading Captain Miller's letter. Is he still alive, do you know?
Looking at your profile, my career followed your lines pretty much exactly except that I only did 6 years with BP.
Kind regards,
John F
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Wendorian

John_F said:
I have asked this question once before without much response but there is now a much larger membership with some very knowledgeable members.
I am trying to find out what happened to the Wendorian. She used to be the training vessel for the King Edward VII Nautical College in London during the 50s & early 60s. She was a regular sight on the Thames as every week she would take a group of would be apprentices from Wapping Basin to Southend where she would anchor for the weekend before making her way back to Wapping on the Monday.
I believe that she was built in 1903 by Hawthorne & Co of Leith, reputedly to be either the King of Spain's or the King of Portugal's Royal yacht. I think her original name was Stephanotis. Her signal letters were GKKB, her official number was 113178 & she was of 143 gross tons.
Hoping Ruud, or someone, can help out with this & I have attached a photo of her in Wapping Basin.
As promised, I attach the reply I received from Capt Miller in response to my letter in " Ships Monthly " I hope this answers some of you questions.
Regards,
Mac.
I also hope my reply c/w attachment works.
I had to post attachment this way due to size restrictions imposed.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MacJack,
That's marvellous - her full history. Thanks very much for that. How long ago was that article published? Do you know if Captain Miller is still alive?
Kind regards,
John.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,864 Posts
There is a AGW Miller in the current edition of Southampton phone book, same address as shown on above macjack attachment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,235 Posts
Captain Miller

macjack:
Thanks for publishing the letter from Capt. Miller, brings back some very fond memories. Am inj the UK at the end of this month and might call him, he must be at least mid eighties now and think I owe him a drink after all we put him through.
Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
John_F said:
MacJack,
That's marvellous - her full history. Thanks very much for that. How long ago was that article published? Do you know if Captain Miller is still alive?
Kind regards,
John.
John, that was published Dec 1992 - now I sailed on her Sept 1952, assuming he to be 40, as he was in command, having in all probability been in command elsewhere, would put his year of birth around 1912, (94) could still well be around.
Mac.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top