Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What history is known of the above firm?i understand that they had the job of cutting down most of the ww11 warships after the war ,then as well took on the task of removing old merchant navy ships.
i find there is no web site for the above firm,
but is there a list of ships that went through there hands.???

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
AFAIK, T.W. Ward ceased operations years ago. They used to have a scrap yard at Grays, Essex and during the 1980s they were still breaking up the odd trawler etc. They also used the berth as a scrap export facility and there were often coasters loading there. However, the land was sold some time ago and I believe it is now all redeveloped with houses and flats.

Phil

·
Registered
516 Posts
T.W,Ward

T.W.Ward also had a yard at Inverkeithing in Fife many large vessels were broken up there, The Company was taken over by Forth Ports in 1986. They still ownd the land and the berth but the facility is on long term lease to R.M. Supplies a well known local scrap company. There were many large RN and Merchant vessels broken up there. The only list I know of is when you go into the main office the Hallway is all done up in the mahogany panelling you used to see on old Liners and engraved on the panels are the names of the ships that were broken up there and also there is a number of artifacts fom some of the vessels. The only way I know you may be able to get the information is to contact RM Supplies. Also Ottakers have a book printed locally about Inverkiething and it has pictures of some of the vessels. The company name in Inverkeithing was James A Whyte
Tom

·
Registered
340 Posts
T W Wards had a yard at briton ferry south wales a lot of ww11 warships were broken up there including subs regards Graham

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Wards had a ship breaking operation in Morecambe (Stone Jetty) in the early 1900's, I have seen several books on the subject in Morecambe Library.
They broke up alot of Royal Navy and Merchant Navy vessels.

Frank

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tom s ,
i wondered if it was BRITON FERRY south wales.by the back ground.
thanks for the info on T.W WARDS scotland.
it gives me a few more leads.

jim

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Jim
Do a Google search with T.W.WARD shipbreakers and it brings up several pages of their operations in the UK

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GDYNIA
did a search on wales ship breakers,
as i know there was lots of hulls laid up during the 40,s and 50s
but having no luck

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thanks for the Olympic link, Tom. I enjoyed reading it.

The greatships website features much of Jeff Newman's wonderful collection of cards; and of course Brian Hawley wrote the potted history for Olympic on that website.

There was some interesting information from Ward's in the late 1930s that they found Olympic's hull 'surprisingly sound,' a testament to the general quality of workmanship.

Best wishes,

Mark.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Hi
Maritime books of Liskgard have a series of books called 'To sail no more'. There is currently 7 in total. The first two deal with a lot of T. W. Ward yards and should be of interest to you. You can get copies from this website: http://www.navybooks.com/

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
The late Jack Dakres book, "THE LAST TIDE", A history of the Port of Preston 1809 - 1981, has a chapter on shipbreaking in Preston.-- Messrs. T.W.Ward Ltd; Preston, with a long list of ships broken up by them plus photos of some.

·
Registered
14 Posts
broken warships

T W Wards had a yard at briton ferry south wales a lot of ww11 warships were broken up there including subs regards Graham
i remember as a boy looking out for the ships being broken at wards in the river neath. i associated that is why they called it giant's grave i don't know if that is true

S

·
0 Posts
The late Jack Dakres book, "THE LAST TIDE", A history of the Port of Preston 1809 - 1981, has a chapter on shipbreaking in Preston.-- Messrs. T.W.Ward Ltd; Preston, with a long list of ships broken up by them plus photos of some.
by any chance does this book make any reference to Messrs wilkinson of Preston &wigan

thks John , cobh
owners of the "Connemara"

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Hello ship mates T.W. Ward is a Sheffield, South Yorkshire company and has been here for a hundred years or so i think, famous for its elephant? sure it is still going? will try to find out, they used to do all types of scrap and demolition work all over the UK.
Jim

1 - 20 of 62 Posts