Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't heard that expression since I left the sea 60 years ago .
A great assortment on Rangitane but were they a common issue?

Bob

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
I often say to my better half "Let have a cup of tea and tabnabs" She has put up with me for 62 years so I guess she has picked up some of my lingo.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Only ever heard it at sea.

Also, on the ships of a sail training charity for which I volunteered, the term 'smoko' was forbidden. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I haven't heard that expression since I left the sea 60 years ago .
A great assortment on Rangitane but were they a common issue?

Bob
Certainly on BP tankers tea and tabnabs were a much looked forward to ritual. Some other companies too but I can't recall which ones.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Tradidional tropics tab nabs in the messroom - always included of tubs of salt tablets (for heat) and paludrine tablets (for malaria), jugs of lime squash (for scurvy I presume? or just because usually too early for beer?). More like a medical break than smoko/tabnabs!!

Occasionally cake or biscuits and an old tin of quality street with only the yellow wrapped toffees left! Instant coffee, tea (leafs and all) and conny-onny / condensed milk

(just looked it up and reliably informed on http://www.scousedictionary.co.uk that this is:- Conny-onny is scouse for Condensed milk in the context of "Don't want any of that conny-onny **** 'ma."

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
For those of us who rarely set foot afloat these days, please allow me to recommend:-

1. Lemon drizzle cake.

2. Cherry Genoa cake.

3. Sainsbury's Oatmeal and Raisin Cookies.

Strictly in that order of preference.

Served with English Breakfast tea, at some point between 1550 hrs and 1610 hrs, here is proof positive that some things might still be right in this world.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Tab-nabs every afternoon smoko in Blue Funnel. Nothing fancy, generally scones or sticky buns, but always welcome.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
For those of us who rarely set foot afloat these days, please allow me to recommend:-

1. Lemon drizzle cake.

2. Cherry Genoa cake.

Served with English Breakfast tea, at some point between 1550 hrs and 1610 hrs, here is proof positive that some things might still be right in this world.
And on the days the cook is in bad humour; tea, toast and "Red" jam.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
There are only two types of jam; "Red" jam and "Yellow" jam. Apricot falls neatly into the latter category and could be regarded as somewhat superior to the former.
Damson jam is unfortunate, it costs and tastes like a yellow jam but is plainly the wrong colour. It could have something to do with attracting insects to pollinate the bushes. Tom Tom has led me down a side street again.

I agree if All Hands had a Smoko and Tab Nabs every day the world would be a better place and workers would remain productive until 17.30 hrs.

·
Registered
186 Posts
tab nabs

When I was a 2nd. cook/baker I always made things like hot cross buns at Easter and mince pies at Xmas etc. I would also try and get doughnuts or sticky buns out at least once a week and make a small birthday cake if informed of the day in advance when at sea. I found that with the advent of general purpose manning and having no galley boy plus wives on board sometimes there was too much work to do without adding more to the work load.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

1. Lemon drizzle cake.

2. Cherry Genoa cake.

Yesterday's was home made apple cake with added walnut pieces and a dab of yogurt . Great without the sound, smell and almost taste of diesel fuel but fattening to say the least

Bob

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
When I was a 2nd. cook/baker I always made things like hot cross buns at Easter and mince pies at Xmas etc. I would also try and get doughnuts or sticky buns out at least once a week and make a small birthday cake if informed of the day in advance when at sea. I found that with the advent of general purpose manning and having no galley boy plus wives on board sometimes there was too much work to do without adding more to the work load.
Nice to hear from one of the guys who looked after us, mostly very well. Thanks.(Thumb)

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
I never have tasted bread as good as that made on ships. It was always perfect and made the best toast ever.(Thumb)

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
When on a cruise on the Queen Mary 2, en route to the Queen's Room for afternoon tea, I mentioned 'tab nabs' to a steward and he knew exactly what I meant.
From that I gathered that it may still may have been current.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Tab nabs

When on a cruise on the Queen Mary 2, en route to the Queen's Room for afternoon tea, I mentioned 'tab nabs' to a steward and he knew exactly what I meant.
From that I gathered that it may still may have been current.
My son, who works on Shetland and has worked offshore, tells me that tabnabs are still so called and still on the menu.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts