Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By now you all know that I am anti Royalist and when a report comes up that Megan and Harry are moving out of the palace into a Cottage the size of Buck House on the Queens estate at the cost of 5 million pounds to the taxpayer my blood boils --the taxpayer pays into the system but gets no say on how it is spent --here we have people sleeping on the streets, ex service men included and here we are spending millions on a royal and his American wife moving house ---its a bloody disgrace, times for a change.

I cannot understand people going out of their way to see and wave their flags at them --they are human same as us - not gods- they came into this world the same way as we all did and will go out the same way, and as for Royal blood ---its the same red as ours ---I`m away to get a cuppa to calm me down --until the next time the taxpayer give a hand out to these "Hangers on up the Mall"

Probably get struck off the site now for being a non Royalist and voicing my opinions ---Served in the Royal Navy for 22+ years and never swore allegiance to the Queen---probably would have never have joined if I had to.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A 'president' would probably cost more and would not help anyone sleeping on the streets.
Steven--my argument is about the money spent on moving a Royal from one palace to another at the cost to you and me and the other thousands of tax payers, money that could be spent on the unfortunate people having to doss down on our streets, this should not happen in this country today---thank goodness we have the likes of the Salvation Army who do care on the homeless plight--I take my hat off to them.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Just the Christmas cheer we all need Ceylon. Thanks for posting - my sentiments exactly. And we will have the Queen on Christmas day capture most, but not all of us.

Save for Princess Ann I have no time for any of them.

Must not forget that they attract tourists and dollars.

So did Salisbury Cathedral.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I wonder how much money they generate through the visits (doing their duty) to other country's amounts to. I suppose some of it must go to make them comfortable. The Homeless. There are two kinds.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Before you break completely away from Europe, you might consider a monarchy based on the bike-riding royals of the Netherlands and Denmark. A far less costly way of retaining a monarch and his/her spouse. Let Harry and Meg apply for a "married quarter" (PMQ,) after all, he was in the army long enough for a couple of photo opportunities.

Just a king or queen; let the rest find jobs out in the world. Princess
Anne could show them a thing or two.

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
I guess that I look upon the Royal Family in much the same way as I view the Christian church. I don't particularly have any allegiance to it and I don't have any subservience to it, but I do accept that it gives a lot of people comfort and an anchor that ties them to their forefathers. Therefore, I accept it if I don't support it.
The ones that I really object to are the endless tribe of politicians with their massive salaries, expenses, and pensions (all voted for by themselves). They cost the people much more than the Royal Family ever did and they deliver nothing in return other than endless spin about how wonderfully they are doing and more stealth taxes. They are the ones who did and still are sending young men and women to fight and die in wars around the globe in the name of the country, while they themselves stay secure in their gossip shop and generate enough hot air to be a major cause of global warming.
Compared with them the RF with it's massive tourist attraction is a pretty good deal, because HM and her family have long done a bloody good job in that for the British people and their politicians haven't!
(Cloud)

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I also have no time for the Royals. I have met them all (went to school with Charles). I see no reason for spending money on them, apart from mum and dad, if that keeps people happy. I see no reason why they apply to the Council for cash to mend their fences at Balmoral etc.
Also the salaries of some managers. In the news yesterday was the sad story of an English health trust, where babies have died because of management failures, even after previous warnings. The manager is under pressure to stand down, but he is refusing no wonder - he is getting over £160,000 p.a., plus benefits.
Company directors who award themselves huge pay rises and bonuses, while their employees are living on the breadline.
We need a cap on salaries for the fat cats, a reduction in the salaries of the top civil servants, and the government to tell the royal hangers on to F off and get a proper job.
I feel much better now thanks. (Whaaa) (Thumb)

·
Registered
968 Posts
I sailed with a Geordie Chief Steward who would go on about,turning Bookinam Palace into a Seamans Mish!Flog the Croon Jools an givus all oor whack!I agreed with him at the time,but now we have no seamen to enjoy the Mish!

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
Then let's hear, it from those sniping here from behind concealed identities, who would they have for head of state from the line up politicians in the frame. Please don't put yourself forward, I would not look up to anyone (something of a prerequisite for the post) who would campaign on the basis of the method of appointment rather than the record of performance.

Personally I am sure that nurture makes up for those objections that suggest anything hereditary last only three generations and that a good line tends to continue well whilst a line of s*** follows its own course. If you want it a democratic appointment you must look to your next door neighbour. Could you ever look up to him and think "That's my boy" or would it be something more self serving?

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
Who sneaked? (And I have re-read it before my first sniff of a cork. I didn't accuse any member of SN as coming fronm a s*** family, surely there can be none! - but if the cap should fit....).

I have to suspect it was one of the 5 companions who were of Hibernian ancestry. And rather less than three generations civilised.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thank the Lord! recognition at last. Truth to tell, I was a bit dubious of the spelling. As used in the accolade, "He's a wee Stotir". Thank you Davie.
Can’t help with spelling but “feniticaly” it sounds ok.
As an aside this is the second Scots word this week the other was from a friend (English) listening to the “Proclaimers” singing and the word “havering”.
Davie

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
I am not sure the Scots can claim havering for themselves. Some googling suggests origin unknown - used in my family since I can remember. I would spell the other as stoater, stotir sounds more like it in song, with singer drunk.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Note the disastrous rail chieftains have got bonuses,likewise some civil servants..How come? when have they been in an increased production environment ??

Major Royals, quite happy to pay something towards them.

geoff

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I am not sure the Scots can claim havering for themselves. Some googling suggests origin unknown - used in my family since I can remember. I would spell the other as stoater, stotir sounds more like it in song, with singer drunk.
Apologise for continuing to go off thread.
I just made the assumption that “havering”was Scots, as in my 59 yrs south of the border must admit have not heard it used by the locals.
As for spelling stotir or stoater, think you might concede and I would agree that a drunk singing can mangle any language, the “Big Yin” gives some hilarious example in his tv shows,
Davie

1 - 20 of 42 Posts