Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got asda mobile phone,cost £20 something
I talk on it,and text,does me.
Oldest grandson got new phone,no one can turn it on except him.
It has face recognition built into it,probably has hotline to kremlin
well it did cost £1200,oh these young minds,as said my asda phone does me.(Thumb)

·
Registered
219 Posts
well it did cost £1200,oh these young minds,as said my asda phone does me.(Thumb)
That's why they always have one in their faces. There is so much on them, they are mesmerised. Only time they make a move is when they want something to eat. (Jester)

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
When I was that age, I would have given my right arm for a gadget that could do all the things a cell phone can do. Remember many a time standing in the pouring rain outside a phone box in Glasgow or Swansea, waiting to phone my girlfriend, who was similarly standing in the pouring rain outside a phone box which was half a mile from her home in Liverpool.

·
Registered
895 Posts
When I was that age, I would have given my right arm for a gadget that could do all the things a cell phone can do. Remember many a time standing in the pouring rain outside a phone box in Glasgow or Swansea, waiting to phone my girlfriend, who was similarly standing in the pouring rain outside a phone box which was half a mile from her home in Liverpool.
But you got an inner glow from hearing her voice and she probably the same with yours, try getting the same glow from a text. If somethings worth having its worth waiting for. I remember hearing my girlfriends voice for the first time after tramping around the world for 22 months, it was like a little bit of heaven.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But you got an inner glow from hearing her voice and she probably the same with yours, try getting the same glow from a text. If somethings worth having its worth waiting for. I remember hearing my girlfriends voice for the first time after tramping around the world for 22 months, it was like a little bit of heaven.
That was heaven

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But the wait, was worth it

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But the wait, was worth it

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Went into the Vodaphone shop and the assistant asked me if I wanted to upgrade my phone. No, I said, I want a downgrade. I got a phone that I use to call people, send texts and take the occasional photo. The assistant was not impressed!

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
I don't expect my postman to follow me around town hurling envelopes at me as soon as they are sorted I expect to find them once a day in the letter box. And that's just how I expect my Email. I might just open my mail over breakfast but I would not think of 'doing' my Email, or my SN/SH, otherwise than in comfort in front of my PC.

I dislike SMS but because my nephew seems unable to use anything but I have a brick that is comfortable enough to use for this if I have to. Otherwise it is what it says on the tine. A mobile telephone.

I also do not encourage it's use by every Tomas, Richard and Henry. Why should an establishment want to know your number just because you have bought something from them? When extremely annoyed I have been know to respond to such requests with "I keep a mobile so that I can 'phone my tradesmen, not so they can 'phone me".

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Christ were----

---a lad when I got my 'phone!

It's a Sonny Ericsson Cyber Shot.

Probably around twenty years old.

I can send messages, talk on it, what more do I need?

BOTH my daughters send messages rather than actually talk to me----does that tell me something?(Cloud) Phil

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
mine still has a the string on

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Ah. We mustn't criticise the young for expecting more from a portable telephone than we do. It is quite useful when the old fart cannot bend down to see under a bit of prospective welding to be shown an immediate picture of it followed by the makers illustration off the net.

Another has a string attached to his too. But that is because otherwise he is certain to lose it.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I have my basic mobile on a lanyard round my neck. I'm having some trouble achieving email coverage when away from home. A smart phone has been suggested. I'm against it. However, if it turns out to be the best way to keep up with emails, I might accept one, but only one that meets my requirements. Some of these are extra batteries that can be charged independently from the 'phone and means of attaching to a lanyard (or a case to enable this). There might be more. Some other device for email might be the answer.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
You old geezers have absolutely no sense of wonder.
Why gripe about this technology that can do stuff, that to me, is indistinguishable from magic?
Just this morning, my son contacted me from Dublin per cellphone, using the video call facility. It is light years ahead of shoving pennies in a slot in a grotty phone box reeking of vomit and urine.
I, for one, want as much of this miracle stuff as I can get!(Thumb)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Ah, the reek of vomit and urine!

I bought a very basic phone, it does have the capability of having an "emergency" number to be stored, press a big button on the back and it will be called and a message sent. Maybe not right now, but in a few years time...

Bloody thing was still £35. The one before that was £10, the cost of having less is rising.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
The latest cell phones have no bounds but have arrived too late for me from the age of the crank handled party line connection.
I envy some, like the next door Dutch neighbours lad who was a seven year old when I was at sea and who's mother used to make me delicious sauerkraut when I came home. The lad is now retired in coastal north New South Wales and has made a name for himself photographing nature and its creatures with his IPhone 7 plus and has me on his posting list.
Then there is a lady I know who goes into shop shops, selects the model and the right size , then serrupticiously snapping the item before buying it on line with a photo ID.
The gadject's ability has no limits but failing eyesight denies me most of the pleasure, or that's my excuse anyway

Bob

1 - 20 of 46 Posts