Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two ships that I used to visit to tend to the boiler controls systems, and which I wish I had taken photographs of. Used to visit them in Southampton. The Atlas was Greek flag and the Monserrat was Spanish. I wonder what their details are and what became of them?

Redhead

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Atlas & Montserrat

Hello Treeve

Had a look at those sites and I think these are the vessels that I refer to. I am only going by my memory which is not 100% about the early 70's. But I think enough clues fit in to convince me.
Many thanks for the info.

Redhead

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Montserrat

Thats the one Bob. I visited this vessel quite often in the early 70's to try and get the boiler controls working. They were what we called in the trade "Bailey American" Similar to our Uk version but some parts were not interchangeable.
I had a hairy voyage from Ponta Delgada to Southampton in about 1970. It was December and the Bay of Biscay was in action. The vessel developed a major sea water leak/crack in the main condenser. Sea water was up to our knees on the bottom flat before we got it under control, everybody who could, helped. We also broke down (main engine troubles) three times during the voyage. We were adrift for several hours each time and being buffeted by strong winds and mountainous seas. I remember that when we sailed up Southampton water, what a relief it was to all on board.
Happy times all the same. Life would be very dull without these hairy memories.

Redhead

1 - 5 of 5 Posts