Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Existential as in 'cogito, ergo sum'?

Right now Labour's only consolation is that even a broken clock is right two times per day. In my view any person standing in an election has to deserve a vote by being better than the other candidates so no, I don't believe in an existential vote.

What is your view sparkles?

·
Registered
779 Posts
What does existential mean? Also the Latin bit? Please excuse my ignorance.

In re-reading I think I've got it.
'If I exist, then I'll exist for a substantial period'

That could be any political party!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Duncs, in context I think the interpretation should be people will vote for Labour simply because they exist (as opposed to being worthy of the vote).

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
I think, Duncan, that existential means existing. An existential problem, one that exists rather than one constructed for an exam question. That always seemed counter-intuitive in its common usage where it seems to suggest its inclusion is to infer it qualifies something in-question.

"Cogito, ergo sum".

"I think, therefore I am".

Descartes, however, never realised that the action of the Commons would be ascribed to thinking.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I bet you do. If it takes more than a link or more than 6 words or at a push, a whole sentence, I doubt you'd manage it!!

Thank heaven for small mercies....."

May I ask what provoked such a response?

·
Registered
7,483 Posts
From SOED:

existential adjective. L17.
[ORIGIN Late Latin existentialis, from existentia: see existence, -al¹.]
1 Of or relating to existence. L17.
2 Logic. Of a proposition etc.: predicating existence. E19.
existential import the assumption made in a proposition that something denoted by it, esp. the subject term, exists. existential quantifier: asserting that something exists of which a related proposition is true.
3 Philosophy. Of or pertaining to existence, esp. human existence, as opp. to the essence of things; existentialist. M20.

existentialism noun. M20.
[ORIGIN translating Danish existents-forhold (Kierkegaard) condition of existence, from existential + -ism.]
A modern philosophical trend, the leading tenet of which is that a person (unlike a thing) has no predetermined essence but forms his or her essence by acts of pure will. Cf. essentialism.
existentialist noun & adjective (a) noun an advocate or adherent of existentialism; (b) adjective of, pertaining to, or characteristic of existentialism: M20. ˌexistentiaˈlistic adjective L20.

---------------

Not quite; I'm pink therefore I'm spam, but close.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
existential adjective. L17.
[ORIGIN Late Latin existentialis, from existentia: see existence, -al¹.]
1 Of or relating to existence

Thank you ML........... I'm still not sure if my usage is correct or not.

As everyone on this thread knew and understood....... The outcome of the vote relating to the future existence of the British Labour Party was intended to be the rather non contentious topic.
The usual suspects just had to take their perceived opportunity.
Just out of a distant interest..... How does the following fit into correct grammar?........

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...t-an-existential-crisis-with-no-easy-solution

The headline alone..... Not the body of the piece

·
Registered
779 Posts
David/Malcom, thanks for your explanations, though I don't really understand them. Even the Descartes one doesn't make much sense.
I mean, I already exist and quite often think(in fact I'm thinking most of the time).
Existentialism, is a grand word, and, though it sounds like a builder's term, I must try to remember it.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
A long time ago, when I first heard 'existential', I thought what a great word for self regarding pseuds and intellectuals to have at their disposal. (K)

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
"Are you naturally miserable sparkie or do you have to practice"

I just wrote a large cheque to the UK tax authorities..... Capiche?
Shocking! But, OTOH, it was generous gentlemen such as your good self who kindly paid for my RAF flying training and saved me from IBM or a power station (Thumb)
(Pint) To all of you and to Messrs Kennedy & Kruschev who, by failing to play nicely together, made it all possible.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Re the present Labour leadership, a quotation by Sir Roger Scruton who has died aged 75.

Credit BBC
He told the Guardian that he became a Conservative when visiting Paris during the 1968 student protests, which he saw as an "unruly mob of self-indulgent middle-class hooligans" professing "ludicrous Marxist gobbledegook".
Did make I larf (Thumb) (Edited to say placed purely for comic effect)

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Re the present Labour leadership, a quotation by Sir Roger Scruton who has died aged 75.

Credit BBC

Did make I larf (Thumb)
I thought that sounded a bit West Country but I looked him up and it turns out he was born in Lincolnshire.

Scruton wasn't his real name - his grandmother changed the family name from Lowe to Scruton. Presumably Scruton is how they say "ball bag" in Lincs.

John T

1 - 20 of 40 Posts