Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know my for once 100% accurate memories of the seating arrangements for a 'no passengers, no wives' voyage viz. looking down the table from his chair at the head, to his right in descending order of rank: C/E, 2/E, 3/E, 4/E with to his left in similar, descending order, C/O, 2/0, 3/0, 4/0.

This meaning the Deck Officer was always facing an additional ring Engineer Officer. Never gave it any thought at the time but is this common practice throughout all Merchant Marines? How about RN and similar military services?

·
Registered
305 Posts
In most ships of the RCN during the time I was serving(1967 - 2003), the Captain, by regulation, kept a separate table and did not dine with us. At table in the wardroom the executive officer sat at the head, the engineer officer to his left and supply officer to his right. This was only by custom and except for the XO's seat wasn't honoured in all ships at all times. There was no pecking order otherwise.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Sorry Graham. Have to disagree (although joined EDs a bit later than you.)
Most ED ships I was on had Masters table with, on his left Mate, Purser, R/O (if a senior) And on his right Ch Eng, 2nd Eng and Ch Stwd (if senior)
Another table had 2nd & 3rd Mate, 3rd and 4th Eng, Electrician, another table for junior engineers (and maybe electrician) another one or two tables for the cadets.
2nd steward served in the galley.
Obviously not all vessels the same but above was my memory of the ‘F’ boats.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Graham. Have to disagree (although joined EDs a bit later than you.)
Most ED ships I was on had Masters table with, on his left Mate, Purser, R/O (if a senior) And on his right Ch Eng, 2nd Eng and Ch Stwd (if senior)
Another table had 2nd & 3rd Mate, 3rd and 4th Eng, Electrician, another table for junior engineers (and maybe electrician) another one or two tables for the cadets.
2nd steward served in the galley.
Obviously not all vessels the same but above was my memory of the ‘F’ boats.
Hi Julian. Long time no speak; still living the Lagos Hi Life?

Interesting to hear your seating. My 'positions' never varied from first sitting on the Captain's table. C/O facing C/E, 2/0 facing 2/E etc.

Obviously doesn't matter a jot now and have no idea whatsoever what caused me to ask.

Stay safe and CV3. Kindest. GGG

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Hi Julian. Long time no speak; still living the Lagos Hi Life?

Interesting to hear your seating. My 'positions' never varied from first sitting on the Captain's table. C/O facing C/E, 2/0 facing 2/E etc.

Obviously doesn't matter a jot now and have no idea whatsoever what caused me to ask.

Stay safe and CV3. Kindest. GGG
Hi Graham,
I have to agree with Julian in Ocean: Three tables, top one captain, C/E, Mate, 2/E, ChStwd,Chief Lecky and RO (If there were). Two lateral tables: Galley side, Juniors/Cadets. Opposite side, 2/0, 3/O etc and/or J/E. Two stewards. Fly/Swim/Walk options every menu!

The M Boats were managed by EDs, BTW.

Best Rgds,
Dave
Table

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Rangitane arrangements were that Captain and all mates and sparkles had tables in the passenger dining room as did the Chief, Second , third and fourth Engineers, Chief Freezer, and Chief Electrician .
Lower ranks messed in the engineer's dining room with the same menu.

Union Co Collier Kaitangata , one big mess table , Master at the head flanked by Mate and Chief Engineer , remainder as chosen

Other Union ships , Master, Mate, Chirf and Second Engineers at one table , balance as chosen .

Bob

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
In Brocklebanks during my time it was simple if there were no wives . Table could seat 8 but normally Captains table only had 4 .
Captain at 12 o,clock ; Mate at 3 o,clock ; 2nd Engineer at 6 o,clock and Chief Engineer at 9 o,clock .
Purser /Chief Steward ; 2nd Mate ; 3rd Engineer and Chief Electrician at the second table .
Juniors at another table although they were encouraged to go to the first sitting
Brocklebanks always had two sittings for all meals except breakfast .

Apprentices / Cadets and Carpenter always first sitting except at Christmas when every one was moved around for just one sitting .
Derek

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
In Brocklebanks during my time it was simple if there were no wives . Table could seat 8 but normally Captains table only had 4 .
Captain at 12 o,clock ; Mate at 3 o,clock ; 2nd Engineer at 6 o,clock and Chief Engineer at 9 o,clock .
Purser /Chief Steward ; 2nd Mate ; 3rd Engineer and Chief Electrician at the second table .
Juniors at another table although they were encouraged to go to the first sitting
Brocklebanks always had two sittings for all meals except breakfast .

Apprentices / Cadets and Carpenter always first sitting except at Christmas when every one was moved around for just one sitting .
Derek
I had forgotten the two sittings, Derek! One Ex Paddy's, ED mate (when I was a EngCadet) insisted that Cadets could only go to first sitting. I complained to the Chief and would usually go to second sitting.

I do remember that the duty mess was strictly off bounds as a Cadet - You wanted fed, you had to clean up and put on uniform!

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Speaker ,Harrisons Samboat. Three tables Captain Chief 2nd Eng and Mate n the centre.Port Side the Engineers,Starboard side Two mates,R/o and the Purser/Writer.

Similar arrangement on the Saxon Star,ex wartime Empire boat.

Ulysses Blue Funnel ex Silver Line,had two long tables,the starboard side was all the deck including the Captain and R/o. All the Engineers sat on the port side.

Later in the RFA, I think you sat anywhere, with Captain taking his meals in his cabin.

Willing to stand corrected.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
#8 . "I had forgotten the two sittings, Derek! One Ex Paddy's, ED mate (when I was a EngCadet) insisted that Cadets could only go to first sitting."

Was the first sitting a "7 Bell" meal, mainly to accommodate watchkeepers?

On Grimsby trawlers, everyone was pinned down at one long table. The Skipper, being the one who might have to be first getting out in a hurry, sat nearest to the door. I just remembered, the fiddles were always on the table and everything was eaten out of soup bowls.

John T

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Thinking about it, on the lower manned Union Co ships I always dined with the Second Mate. After all we both did the dinner meal relief for the Mate and Second E and were relieved by the Third Mate and the Fourth E for the noon meal.
Most of the time we also shared a hot cocoa or a beer at the end of the morning 12-4 and again sat together at the breakfast table . In fact most of my social contact at sea was with the Second mate .

Bob

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your contributions gentlemen.

I'll 'come clean' now and admit that I have been cogitating, ruminating and generally trying anything to achieve grey cell activation and come up with a subject, any subject, that would have a catalytic affect and ~ (very) hopefully ~ generate some exchanges and subjects for further discussion.

EDs is dead and buried as are an increasing number of her employees from many moons ago. That said, RIP to the aforementioned and a 'new engine' for each of us survivors.

·
Registered
475 Posts
As a reflection of lowering standards, I remember writing to India Buildings to complain about replacement of linen serviettes with paper tissues.
After a few years working with supply boats and seeing standards in the messroom, really have to laugh at myself.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Ha ! I sailed with a really disgusting Ol ' Man.

He was short and fat with a goatee beard and boss eyed.

He would talk as he was eating, spluttering food all over ! He would take out his false teeth and pick at them !

One eye would be looking at the person he was talking to and the other eye would wander round, sometimes staring at me... Really weird !!!

The Choff would avoid coming into the saloon when he was in.

Anybody know who I am referring to?

ATB

Laurie

·
Registered
475 Posts
On one vessel a wife was sat opposite a guy who chewed and chewed his food.
Finally, unable to stand it any longer, she said “I do wish you would stop masturbating at the table”. (Masticating) The saloon had a moment of silence then uproar.

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
#8 . "I had forgotten the two sittings, Derek! One Ex Paddy's, ED mate (when I was a EngCadet) insisted that Cadets could only go to first sitting."

Was the first sitting a "7 Bell" meal, mainly to accommodate watchkeepers?

On Grimsby trawlers, everyone was pinned down at one long table. The Skipper, being the one who might have to be first getting out in a hurry, sat nearest to the door. I just remembered, the fiddles were always on the table and everything was eaten out of soup bowls.

John T
In Brockslebanks the 7 bell meal was for the 12 to 4 ( middle ) watch and was served generally in the duty mess . so you could be dressed in boiler suit and ready to go below a little before noon . This was to save someone having to give a meal relief ie 2nd. Engineer . Derek

·
Registered
475 Posts
This thread could go a long way.
We have not yet started on the luxury accommodation and food for the deck passengers, after that we get to the Kru boys fare.
As has been said on another thread, incredible watching their reactions when watching, in particular, a Walt Disney cartoon film shown at hatch four. They were spellbound.

·
Registered
716 Posts
This thread could go a long way.
We have not yet started on the luxury accommodation and food for the deck passengers, after that we get to the Kru boys fare.
As has been said on another thread, incredible watching their reactions when watching, in particular, a Walt Disney cartoon film shown at hatch four. They were spellbound.
My memories of Krooboys are firstly of a baby monkey

I went down aft and there was a baby monkey ties to coil of mooring rope. It jumped onto my arm and would not let go ! He was so small , he fitted into my cupped hands with his tail dangling down .

I gave the Krooboy 200 **** for him , intending to give him to my then girlfriend's brothers.

I got home with him in the front of my jacket. I knocked on our front door and my mother answered. She went tog ive me a hug and the monkey stuck his head out and gave a little squeak. That was it ! She kept him as a pet for the next 7 years . She became quite famous , because she used to take him out in the front basket of her bike !

The next time I went down the West Coasy, we took two quite large German gun dogs. I looked afer them and had to exercise them round the deck. The Krooboys were terrified of them !

ATB

Laurie

1 - 20 of 76 Posts