Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Fyffes

Would very much appreciate it if someone could give me a date for the TETELA - GREEN ISLAND collision.
I was with Fyffes for about 14 months between taking mates and master's ticket in Liverpool. I did about 6 months on Telde starting in Bremen and then out to Almerante then spells on east coast USA then over to the West coat from Central American to LA and Seattle. Back to UK via Jamaica, Sept1964. The master on Telde was Capt Gilbert, can't remember the Mates name, second mate was Bob Yell and i was third mate. Then sailed on Golfito for six trips and the master there was Capt Young the Ulsterman who lived in Liverpool.
Re Tetela collision I can't throw any light on that.
re Chicanoa, that name brings back memories of one summer Sunday afternoon 1963 on Otterspool Prom with my girl friend [subsequently wife ] seeing Chicanoa heading down river from Garston no doubt heading for WI or WA.
Happy days . I did enjoy my brief interlude in Fyffes.

Tom Inglis

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
............ Then sailed on Golfito for six trips and the master there was Capt Young the Ulsterman who lived in Liverpool.
Capt Young relieved on the Golfito for one trip whilst I was there. A humourless soul and everyone was extremely glad when the regular Master, GM Roberts, returned from leave.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Ian, you jogged my memory box about that dockside incident. We came thru the main gate heading for the ship, when one of the lads spots a large fork lift truck,keys still in it,so he shouts Taxi and we all jumpt onboard.Near the gangway we bailed out but the driver miscalculated the hight of the fork tower to cargo shed awnings. Quite a Bang,but being a good A/B he stayed at the wheel.So Ian you must have been there when the charter ended and we went over to Kingston, Jam.,(the bananas was 3p a ton cheaper than Tiko)when we topped off in Port Antonio,on sailing day it was the j/n eng.,s birthday. I dont know if it was the Rum&coke or the Ganga smoke but the engineroom was not answering the bridge telegraph and we nearly ran aground on Errol Flynn,s Island. A name has just popped into my head, was the birthday boys name Brian Flower-Ellis? I miss that life, but what memorys All the best for Xmass IAN.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Peter,
the engineroom was not answering the bridge telegraph
Sorry about that :eek:

Now you've jogged MY memory - yes, Flower-Ellis. I'd forgotten his Christian name because we all referred to him as 'Flower'. Blub Henderson was Chief Engineer and there was a bit of a row over a comely lass who was being pursued by Flower.
His rival for her affections spotted him in my cabin and, next thing, the contents of a bucket of sudjie shot through my open porthole. We were close to Garston and the CE was keen that I should clean up my cabin before the superintendent engineer saw it (Jester)

ATB for Christmas & New Year

·
Registered
90 Posts
Capt (bull) Young was captain on Morant on my first trip as Purser,I did fined him quite helpful. I was a bit dubious as he did have a bit of a reputation
,that was inJune to December 1973. R815614 Eddie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Tony, I was Second Eng on the Tetela in the collision with Green Island, I think the date was July 6th 1965 give or take a day or two
Bill Lewis

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Tony, I have just recalled the actual date was July 9th 1965. Should you be interested I have photographs of the collision damage and progress work in the Brooklyn shipyard where the bow was removed and "plated-up" for our Atlantic crossing. A new bow was being pre-fabricated at the builders shipyard in Bremen. Bill.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Chicanoa

i sailed on the Chicanoa as first trip junior R/O in 1968 leaving the tyne after dry docking. i then completed 2 trips on the golfito finishing off my six months as a junior R/O.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I did 4 trips on the Chicanoa 16.9.65.Soton - Greenock, John Brown`s first trip Chief, 14.10.65 Greenock- Avonmouth, 10.11.65 Avonmouth-Avonmouth,8.12.65 Avonmouth-Southampton as Junior Eng. Looking at my discharge book Captain`s where C J Gilbert,C Whitehouse & D A Hamillton Good Ship , Good Crew, Good Memories John Richards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone,

I am the son of Rodney Smith who was on Chicanoa for 4 years in the early 60s, I think under Captain Young. PLEASE let me know if you know my dad! I could only find 1 picture of the ship in the whole internet and for the sake history PLEASE put some pictures!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Chicanoa

Hi everyone,

I am the son of Rodney Smith who was on Chicanoa for 4 years in the early 60s, I think under Captain Young. PLEASE let me know if you know my dad! I could only find 1 picture of the ship in the whole internet and for the sake history PLEASE put some pictures!
I have put some photos of life on Chicanoa on "Life on Board"
Not the years that your dad served on her but the scenes might be of interest.

Jim

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi Jim, Could you please send the photos to me by private message or by email.
I would love them I am putting together an album for my Grandkids and the Chicanoa was my first ship, Golfito my second. Thanks George

21 - 40 of 48 Posts