Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laughter is the best medicine, frequently. Sadly, it has its limits.

The Clown’s Lament.

Oh, Bozzie-Bear you are a Clown, we all have loved you much.
With tousled hair and trousers down, there’s laughter at each touch:
And erudition, likewise, either Latin or in Greek
A classical oration is expected when you speak,
And greeted with guffaw, guffaw, Hurrah for Johnson B!
But after that, there’s nothing much, alas, but vacancy.

The golden days of youth are all repeated in your charm:
Your magnetism, sadly, has propensity for harm,
By oversight of detail in the code of fellow men:
Diplomacy is absent, with the statesman’s a***en.
As Foreign Secretary, alas, your days were shortly numbered:
And why? Because of weaknesses with which you are en***bered.

To make ‘em laugh is magic. It’s a gift held by the few:
And nobody can make us laugh more loudly than you do.
The risk you overlook, alas, is where the laughter strikes?
Competent you were as Mayor. You gave us Boris Bikes.
But when it comes to trust in matters greater, those of state,
Alas, alack, and sad to say, the joke is on you, mate.

BY

·
Registered
939 Posts
It is a lovely morning here in sunny B.C. so why am I raining on your parade, but Is not 'The Pig & Whistle' supposed to be non political?

I may forgive you just this once if you come out with an equally barbed poem highlighting Jeremy Hunt's failings in this Britain's time of destiny.

Nick

·
Registered
939 Posts

Thank you, Nick.

I neither perform to order nor seek your forgiveness.

Best wishes,

B
Ok. My absolution is herewith withdrawn. Write on, O Bard, and to hell with the guidelines we are supposed to follow but are occasionally allowed to overstep by our administators particularly where a poster's genius needs to be recognized.

Nick

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Nick

You are quite correct. The Pig & Whistle is clearly stated as General Chit-Chat. Lightweight Off-topic Discussion, nothing political or heavy.

My job and that of other moderators is to ensure site guidelines are adhered to. We do sometimes turn a blind eye. Barrie's poems are always good political or otherwise. However, if a thread gets too political as a result, we will have no choice but move it in line with SN guidelines. Members know the rules so cannot complain if a thread is moved to Stormy Weather.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Agree you're exploring the envelope there, Barrie.
At the risk of having this moved, I'd say that the Irish joke: “I wouldn’t start from here if I were you.” applies.
BUT we only have Johnson or Hunt, neither of whom I particularly care for as PM, so, as one of our daughters puts it (from, I believe Love Island (Eats)): "It is what it is, babe."

·
Premium Member
10,424 Posts
The lifeboat deck is denied to no SOB. Let no sod here fail to understand that is where we all now huddle! Rhyming or prosing let's hope we all do rowing.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
The lifeboat deck is denied to no SOB. Let no sod here fail to understand that is where we all now huddle! Rhyming or prosing let's hope we all do rowing.
David, the problem might turn out to be "how can you propel the life boat without a paddle when you hit the cold water of reality"

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts