Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Crunch.

When HM at Balmoral met the Rt. Hon J Rees-Mogg
Her eyes no doubt were open and her mind no doubt agog.
“Are you sure, young man?” She might have said. We cannot know.
The Order then was made. Reaction? Anything but slow.

A million people sign a counter-order. Of free will.
Unlike the Monarch, banjaxed, as she was, to wield the quill
And put her name to what might be the daftest order set
Throughout our whole democracy. We ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

Democracy without the law is nothing but mob-rule.
The lynch-mob, the dictatorship. Abhorrence learned at school.
Duplicity is in the order. Who is still naïve?
An Order which creates disorder? Who might you believe?

Are we thick or are we not? Should talk now be suspended?
In this, our hour of crisis? This much needs to be defended:-
The voices of those persons qualified by ballot-box
To speak for you and me, as we are heading for the rocks.

And who is on the bridge? Which man has forced the Monarch’s hand?
A man whom none would trust with anything they understand.
A chancer and an entertainer, charming and amusing.
Would you trust such a man when there is so much for the losing?

BY

·
Registered
992 Posts
Perhaps Miss Symonds might be amongst those best placed to answer Barrie. But for one reason or another, I rather think that she (and others close at hand), will not.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
Such beautiful lyrics presenting passion , pride , pomp and perception .
Political!? You are an old spoilsport David

Bob

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Such beautiful lyrics presenting passion , pride , pomp and perception .
Political!? You are an old spoilsport David

Bob

Not me Bob, I am simply quoting site rules. The P&W is for General Chit-Chat. Lightweight Off-topic Discussion, nothing political or heavy. Members know the rules

It is my job as a moderator to ensure rules/guidelines are followed, nothing to do with being a spoilsport.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Re PM; check out Winmar for well-considered deliberations. (Succinct and accurate).
Re the rest: Winmar reflections on PM apply similarly.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I had an uncle up at Eton in the late 1790s. A reallly topping fellow as are they all so blessed. Went on to be a diplomat in Washington in the run up to the War of 1812, and objected to the FO when President Madison turned up at a meeting wearing his bedroom slippers. Ended up commiting suicide on Branksea Island when thinking too deeply about what would become of him when he died.

Nick

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Sorry Barrie, but this thread is too political for The Pig & Whistle.
If you can't distinguish politics from comedy, it could be because today there is no difference. When politicians can't be distinguished from clowns, please leave us alone to laugh at them.

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Oh OK. But seems site rules/guidelines very selectively applied…
But all moderation is by nature somewhat selective, in that while a post might appear to be slightly in contravention of the rules of a particular forum a moderator might decide to leave it where it is for the time being but keep an eye on the thread. It is always a question of degree.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Not me Bob, I am simply quoting site rules. The P&W is for General Chit-Chat. Lightweight Off-topic Discussion, nothing political or heavy. Members know the rules

It is my job as a moderator to ensure rules/guidelines are followed, nothing to do with being a spoilsport.
Rules is Rules.
Keats and Wordsworth off to Stormy Weather and their slot given to Pam Ayres.

Being a Super Moderator is a bit like being a Referee for Sunday Morning League football, everyone feels like throwing in a few well chosen words.

Keep the Faith.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
But all moderation is by nature somewhat selective, in that while a post might appear to be slightly in contravention of the rules of a particular forum a moderator might decide to leave it where it is for the time being but keep an eye on the thread. It is always a question of degree.
Art and David. This has to be the most blatant one yet so well done getting into SW early. Some never learn, no matter how many times you tell them. There are enough politics in SW to satisfy all. If they don't want to sign up for SW, that is their problem.
Keep up the good work.

JJ.

·
Super Moderator
26,578 Posts
Thanks JJ

To all members, it might be worth pointing out that without we moderators the site may crash. I alone have banned some very malicious spammers who posed a threat.

Please understand that we give our time freely. Our decisions are always made in the interest of the forum and its members. If we miss something for whatever reason, we have a system in place for members to report a post. It is the triangle at the top right hand side of a post. This sends a message to our e-mail system that alerts us even when off line.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
SpongeBob and Barrie should be given 10 days Stoppage of Shore Leave.

When I open SN the "Recent Threads" page appears listing the 10 most recent Postings. If some topic catches my eye I tend to reply without checking which Forum it belongs to and thereby sometimes unintentionally upsetting the apple tart. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
Are you sure that is not the tatty cart (or possibly the one that follows the Lord Mayor's show)?

I continue to point out that there is difference between discussing the punishment of Guy Fawkes which might well have become a political thread on the internet of that day and the fact that an attempt had been made to blow up the House of Lords.

While I'm down here in the sin bin anyway may I add that were that Catholic plotting Bastard still be on the scene I might turn a blind eye to him trying the same again on the other house! Paxo has it right. Why are our politicians so crap? (Note that the TV does not put him in SW because he asked it either)! Mind you I think it would be better English to employ 'crappy'. That's given me an idea.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Being a Super Moderator is a bit like being a Referee for Sunday Morning League football, everyone feels like throwing in a few well chosen words.....
Yes. Have refereed more than a few Sunday morning games. (Unpaid volunteer of course). And many many others have done, or do same. And we all recognise, that when you take the job on, there will be some who might question some of your decisions. Just a very simple fact of life. But all same, not overly welcome when you’re the guy doing his best to keep the game going.
So be assured that I do value the work that all moderators do here. And if you found my comment offensive David, please accept my apology for same.
Rgds OJ

1 - 20 of 21 Posts