Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The below has been sent to the owners:

"SN is coming to a very fast END! The Gallery contains 19,256 pages. 24 images per page. That totals to 481,000 photos. HALF A MILLION photos that cannot be even found by searching. HALF A MILLION and almost TWENTY YEARS work from the MEMBERS. Never mind the rest of the site. There are some 105,000 members. Back in the day you could read hundreds or comments every days. Today? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless the GALLERY is opened up again people will continue to loose members. We have been talking about this for MONTHS and we are still not getting any answers. A real mess."

·
Registered
36 Posts

"SN is coming to a very fast END! The Gallery contains 19,256 pages. 24 images per page. That totals to 481,000 photos. HALF A MILLION photos that cannot be even found by searching. HALF A MILLION and almost TWENTY YEARS work from the MEMBERS. Never mind the rest of the site. There are some 105,000 members. Back in the day you could read hundreds or comments every days. Today? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless the GALLERY is opened up again people will continue to loose members. We have been talking about this for MONTHS and we are still not getting any answers. A real mess."
I returned after a necessary absence to this website hoping to post some photos for the pleasure of viewers, hoping to discover photos of ships that I wanted to learn more about, hoping to discover, if possible, the provenance of certain photos, not my own, that I would like to post with permission, hoping to discuss with members connected with certain vessels the places they had visited, and hoping to enter detail of vessels I was on wherever detail was absent or questions had been asked. This website doesn't permit any of this in any way that makes good sense. It is now formatted by imbeciles with purposes that have nothing to do with seafaring. Therefore, I'm removing, if I can, all that I had entered at the time I enjoyed this website. In other words, I'm out of here. And I'm deleting SN from my consciousness.
Michael O'Hair (remembering)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Yes, that makes angry.
Example:
At the end of last year I tried to get an answer ..."is a search function for ships name planned?
No Answer!

the last one!

·
Registered
225 Posts
As a regular reader and occasional contributor to posts, I used to visit this site every day, where there was always a sense of a thriving and active community. They had a mutual interest in the world of ships, shipping and all aspects of lifestyles, both past and present.

Since the current owners acquired the site, all of that involvement has gone. Whenever I log in to see if anything has changed for the good of the members, the result is zero and I am logged out in seconds.

As for membership, that figure of 100,000+ is now in the past and judging from the current post input from existing members, the numbers are diminishing rapidly.

Any company that takes over a thriving business and promptly, adversely changes the operating system, is heading for trouble.

A company that promptly changes the system without fully communicating with their staff and customers is in trouble.

A company that ignores those customers and withholds access to customers property - (Photographs) deserve to end up in failure.

John

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
The fact of the matter is SN sank to the depths of despair the day the format moved from its original to this one..
Let's face it when a poster starts a new thread on Federal SN's "Cümberland" and ends up with this ***berland then you have to accept the site owners don't care a jot and no end of cajoling will change them..
SN has settled on the bar and it's going to take a long time before the final break- up if ever..

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
From Release Note dated 6th January 2021:
  • Ability To Search For Images Within Gallery/Showcase: We are working towards introducing a search option in the Gallery/Showcase for images. Users should be able to search images by name/tags within these sections.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The site owners rely on income from the (Bl00dy annoying) adverts.
No viewers = no income = site folds

Pretty obvious to all of us - SN owners must be blinkered.

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
It's a shame that this site is dyeing. I still pop in now and again, but find I'm drifting away. I've said all I have to say really, shared my memories, met a couple of fantastic members, started a few threads, probably annoyed a few along the way, and a few have annoyed me as well, but that's what made the forum so good. The forum has reminded me about what my life at sea (I had a cushy one) was all about. I have more memories about my life at sea than I would have ever had had I not joined, they would have just faded away.
I can't really blame the new site owners, as if my interest was still there it wouldn't matter who the owner was, or even the new ridiculous censoring rules. I have the memories refreshed that's the important thing.

·
Registered
13,918 Posts

I totally agree with each of your words Georgie, this change in SN format has been the most disastrous for all of us, we have lost that exchange of comments always very interesting about our life at sea or about these issues, for that reason I stopped all my uploads of photos to the site, regarding SH also I have stopped posting my photos due to the lack of interest of its members in seeing them and commenting on the ship shown, etc; therefore the only site 100% on our interest is shipspotting.com

Regards

Tomi.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I as well have been not amused by what I’ve seen. Kind of sad yes.
I’ve received a few new model builds over the years from images of my work that I posted on these very pages. This site has been a winner for me.

·
Registered
707 Posts
A daily fix of SN used to be something to took forward to. Not worth the effort now. Hardly anything newand the photos are a joke. We have been badly let down and the sad news is that those responsible for the the site, apparently, don't care. The site is moribund and all but deceased. It deserves to be put out of its misery.

Definitely NOT happy days,

gwzm

·
Registered
966 Posts
I find SN generally very therapeutic and enjoy opening it each day. I would be therefore very sorry to ever read of its demise. I do agree however the new format is not perfect and yes, I do greatly miss the opportunity we had before to 'dial' in the ship's name from days of yore and get instant satisfaction. It was so simple before so why is not so simple now?

To the old bridge watchkeepers amongst us there was nothing more satisfying on a boring watch than to pick up a ship with your binoculars at maximum range and use your knowledge of ships stored in your memory to identify her, or at least her owners, before she drew closer.

Nick

1 - 20 of 110 Posts