Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
As far as I am concerned, the final insult from the idiots who rejigged the site is that they seem to have denied me the ability to delete my own 3,610 posted photos. Anyone know how to do it?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I have to concur with almost all of the above. Fortunately I have never downloaded any of my own photographs to the gallery but I feel for those that did. I used to thoroughly enjoy dipping into the site on a daily basis. Now however, although I still do have a look in, there is seldom anything worth reading. My name sits there on the members list but it as well might not. I have been for some time happily on board three other excellent sites. This one is in it's death throes.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ShipSpotting.com is not bad, at least you can search the image gallery by ship name, type, age, etc. Not as pleasant to browse through as the old shipsnostalgia.com site but (in my opinion) a lot better than this ruined site if you are looking for anything specific.

·
Spongebob
9,420 Posts
This is a very sad day, a sad situation , something that may have been avoided if the owners had not changed the format and in doing so excluded many followers.
British and and associated mariners of whatever skill or discipline flocked to this site on its inception circa 2005 and formed a massive following of people willing and able to offer their experiences, knowledge , stories and cyber friendship to all members .
For a while we became as snug and as happy as sandboys as we chatted in that little old waterfront pub near the docks but in the sky, be we from bridge, deck, galley , engine room , wireless room or saloon we had much to say , sometimes we strayed way of track and drifted on to more personal chat, health, diet, gardening whatever until a moderator coaxed us back on coarse . Myself , Dom, Nick, John Rogers, Taff , Barrinoz and others drifted into a tale about Cyril the Squirrel which ran to over 1500 posts and 15000 followings .
There were a few yarns, some in a special place so as to not offend others , some real life stories , some really tall tales , and all in all the site became a place to go for a morning's touch on the outside world .
We cannot put all the blame on the site owners, Old Father Time and the grim reaper has cut a swathe through the ranks of British merchant seamen on his way to making us as obsolete as Agincore Archers but we did it , we went there , we did the job and it was mainly a great experience to look back on .
I am aproaching 87 soon , good to see John Rogers post above, he is getting close to the magical 90 and we still have stories to tell, but who to?

Spongebob

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
This is a very sad day, a sad situation , something that may have been avoided if the owners had not changed the format and in doing so excluded many followers.
British and and associated mariners of whatever skill or discipline flocked to this site on its inception circa 2005 and formed a massive following of people willing and able to offer their experiences, knowledge , stories and cyber friendship to all members .
For a while we became as snug and as happy as sandboys as we chatted in that little old waterfront pub near the docks but in the sky, be we from bridge, deck, galley , engine room , wireless room or saloon we had much to say , sometimes we strayed way of track and drifted on to more personal chat, health, diet, gardening whatever until a moderator coaxed us back on coarse . Myself , Dom, Nick, John Rogers, Taff , Barrinoz and others drifted into a tale about Cyril the Squirrel which ran to over 1500 posts and 15000 followings .
There were a few yarns, some in a special place so as to not offend others , some real life stories , some really tall tales , and all in all the site became a place to go for a morning's touch on the outside world .
We cannot put all the blame on the site owners, Old Father Time and the grim reaper has cut a swathe through the ranks of British merchant seamen on his way to making us as obsolete as Agincore Archers but we did it , we went there , we did the job and it was mainly a great experience to look back on .
I am aproaching 87 soon , good to see John Rogers post above, he is getting close to the magical 90 and we still have stories to tell, but who to?

Spongebob
A very good post Bob............

Cheers Frank

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Bob,

I would respectfully suggest that the problems did not arise from the change of format. The site has survived a couple of earlier format changes - which at the time produced loud complaints - and predictions of mass exodus of members which never materialised. What has diminished the site and seriously threatened it's survival is the mishandling of a major asset of the old format, the huge gallery of photos uploaded over the years by members and the comments added to those photos. Following the introduction of the changes which accompanied the change of format, that invaluable resource can no longer be searched at will, totally destroying its value for research purposes.

That is little more than wanton destruction, since it was done neither accidentally nor in ignorance of its existence. When adopting the format change, a decision was made not to provide the gallery with a search facility. That immediately removed the attraction of the site for thousands of members and killed all prospects of the site attracting new members seeking to view photos of specific ship's.

If the site owners wish to retain the existing membership and to attract new members they have the opportunity to add a suitable search facility for the gallery. They may consider the cost unjustified and decline the opportunity.

That is a commercial decision which we members cannot influence. After all it is the site owners' money that is involved.

·
Spongebob
9,420 Posts
Bob,

I would respectfully suggest that the problems did not arise from the change of format. The site has survived a couple of earlier format changes - which at the time produced loud complaints - and predictions of mass exodus of members which never materialised. What has diminished the site and seriously threatened it's survival is the mishandling of a major asset of the old format, the huge gallery of photos uploaded over the years by members and the comments added to those photos. Following the introduction of the changes which accompanied the change of format, that invaluable resource can no longer be searched at will, totally destroying its value for research purposes.

That is little more than wanton destruction, since it was done neither accidentally nor in ignorance of its existence. When adopting the format change, a decision was made not to provide the gallery with a search facility. That immediately removed the attraction of the site for thousands of members and killed all prospects of the site attracting new members seeking to view photos of specific ship's.

If the site owners wish to retain the existing membership and to attract new members they have the opportunity to add a suitable search facility for the gallery. They may consider the cost unjustified and decline the opportunity.

That is a commercial decision which we members cannot influence. After all it is the site owners' money that is involved.

Yes Rin, I was overlooking that other very prized and important aspect.
I have one ever posted photos but have enjoying looking up all my ships plus my parents immigrant ships and a few ot the later vessels after my time.
To have posted a personal collection on this site and to now have the existence of such a treasure threatenened is a worry .
In times gone by we might step out of line , be less than polite to the thin skinned supervision ,or otherwise criticised the site the moderators would come down like a ton of bricks but now, is there anybody there?
No body is listening at all.

Bob

·
Registered
487 Posts
But fellow seafarers are listening Bob.
Don’t try and get away with finishing a sentence with a preposition as you did in last line of #25.
”but to whom”. Ruler across the buckles for that one.

·
Spongebob
9,420 Posts
But fellow seafarers are listening Bob.
Don’t try and get away with finishing a sentence with a preposition as you did in last line of #25.
”but to whom”. Ruler across the buckles for that one.
Thanks for the rap Julian , I haven't had an English lesson since Selerrat alias etc took me to task . Will try harder..

Regards Bob

·
Registered
6,155 Posts
No point in crying over spilled milk..
Threads like this come and go and no heed is ever taken..
On the subject of annoying adverts...
Download browser "Brave" and view SN via that excellent tool..
Au revoir adverts..

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
One point that has been missed when blaming owners. The original owner(s) sold the site to this lot and that is why and when the rot set in.

JJ.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The main thing that brought me to this site originally was searching for pics of my old ships in Google and, of course, now we can't find anything and life is too short to sort through half a million pics. However surely it wouldn't be difficult to have all the photos listed alphabetically - I mean there's nothing easier than sorting files in your computer by doing a "sort by name" - surely the site owners could at least do that. Then we could at least jump in to, say, page 2500 and then by smaller and smaller increments until the pic we want appears on the page - just a thought. - In the meantime I'll still come here every morning as I find a dozen or so posts to be adequate for my 'fix'.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
I totally agree with each of your words Georgie, this change in SN format has been the most disastrous for all of us, we have lost that exchange of comments always very interesting about our life at sea or about these issues, for that reason I stopped all my uploads of photos to the site, regarding SH also I have stopped posting my photos due to the lack of interest of its members in seeing them and commenting on the ship shown, etc; therefore the only site 100% on our interest is shipspotting.com

Regards

Tomi.
I have lost my appetite to post photos to both SN and SH as well. Apart from shipspotting.com there still remains seatheships.org.uk as an alternative, but there too the reaction rate is quite low and mostly coming from always the same members (moderators).
Cheers,
Gijsha

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Then we could at least jump in to, say, page 2500 and then by smaller and smaller increments until the pic we want appears on the page -
The current format of 'square' image is a nuisance. A full image is necessary. Otherwise you are looking at a crop and it take too much time to check what you are looking at. Only 25 on a page and the image is too large. You need smaller images... about 50 on a page. You can made through thousands of images and then it is almost impossible to come back and start all over again. Or... go to the very end and then go backwards.

SN should have never been sold in the first place! Why not just sell the site to the members... with an annual fee. Even at £1 per member, per year would have raised £105,000!!!!!!!

Stephen

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
Stephen, I agree, but I bet they got a lot more than that. Like some, I was already supporting the site with a contribution - £15., and I'd have paid more to get the site we had. No loyalty, we were not even told it had been sold.

JJ.

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Stephen, I agree, but I bet they got a lot more than that. Like some, I was already supporting the site with a contribution - £15., and I'd have paid more to get the site we had. No loyalty, we were not even told it had been sold.

JJ.

Yes, I did the same. I have even supported the present owners... in order to get the adverts at a minimum.

More than £100 x thousand? The B'stard!

Stephen

21 - 40 of 110 Posts