Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Thanks. I am now waiting for confirmation. My new name is 'Glenpark'. I could use
'Clansman' but that word would probably cause me a problem... not being very 'non PC'!

·
Registered
149 Posts
This post is interesting,do any of you know your way around the site.
When you log in your logo appears on the space bar at the top,next to that are three dots.click on those and you will see the word GALLERY.
Click on that word and the gallery of photos will appear.
Mike

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
It is interesting to scan the "recommended Communities" shown alongside the posts. I am sure they are targeted at individuals but I fail to see what reason offers me

Honda TRX ATV forum
Club WRX forum
Volcon ePowersports Forum.

Even the lawn-mower seems loud and a bit silly.

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Mike, Yes, you can see them and you have to wade through half million photos to find one that you want. You cannot simply 'search'. Not like in the old days! You can try to find things on Google and you might find some there and might be SN photos, but only a short selection of them. I can bring up my own 'media', but that still does not bring up ship's name etc.
Stephen

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
John... I took your suggestion. I went through 'Honda TRX ATV forum'. Brilliant? NO!!!! I's rather look at a million photos of Erie Canal Barges!!!!

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
August 1954. Small vessel MILDRED was on fire in the Channel. TURMOIL was despatched to take her in tow. When TURMOIL arrived they found a small French vessel had put on the MILDRED and was trying to claim her as their 'prize'. This was a contract tow. TURMOIL put a line on the stern of MILDRED and took her in tow, with the French vessel still trying to tow. The smoke from the burning MILDRED made the French master give up.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I too have become somewhat disillusioned and finding my way round is confusing, to say the least. I have been a member fr a long time and maybe it's just me getting old and crotchety but "patience is a virtue found seldom in a woman but never in a man"
Is it "ecdum calas"

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Wish someone would take over SN, I would be happy to pay an enrolment fee plus a yearly fee as long as the changed the format.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Unfortunately I agree in total with all of the previous comments. There has not been a gallery post in engineering for over six months. I feel very isolated, where are all the engineers photos?

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
A special one for you. Found this in a box yesterday so decided to scan it. Here are my Senior Officers on board delivery voyage motor tug TARA II (formerly Red Funnels' CALSHOT) Dublin to Burriana, 1991.
At left 2nd Eng Kevin Fitzpatrick, Ch Eng Mike Saunders, Ch Off Lesley Geldoff. Good gang for sure. We 2/E, C/E and I did four delivery voyages between 1988/91. Kevin was the only one with a Mess jacket. Lesley wore the kilt.
Stephen

·
Spongebob
9,420 Posts
At least this one thread has struck a cord , we are talking to one another like we've used to .
53 posts in just over 24 hours , where are those stories , my worst storm at sea , replacing a liner at sea, home brew making afloat , that night you know where . Just like old times .

Spongebob

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Great post #25 Bob, those name made the story of Cyril come alive. Where is he now I wonder, I shot and missed him a few times, more likely he is nestled away in the bosom of some large gal. Lucky furry devil.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I wish I knew what we as members knew what could be done to restore this sad situation.
We could form an online committee but to what purpose? We can vent but what follows?

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
We wish the previous own had not been so fast to sell us off without even a nod or wink. All that were were told was that the 'graphic' banner on the top was going to be changed. Not a work about anything else.

I cannot find all of my own gallery photos. 2009 to today is there, but nothing before that 2006 to 2009.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Who does own Shipping Nostalgia? Obviously they are running it as a business I.e. Fund the site with advertising revenue. They have nothing to gain from the members "going adrift" and hopefully this could lead to reforms.

·
Premium Member
11,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
My take on this is that a company now owns SN. 105,000 members. Advertising shows on site... hoping that the members will buy something, a product or service. Well the advertisers are wasting their money because I don't think a fraction of the membership is watching anything at all.

41 - 60 of 110 Posts