Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself, again:
Ships Nostalgia was set up originally by people with an interest and knowledge of the subject.
It did pass though some changes but because it was still in control of the original team, members' wishes were foremost.
Some years ago, I cannot recall and I can't bother to look it up, The original site owner was approached by Canadian company that hosts and runs numerous speciality sites as a money making business. They made him a good offer which he obviously accepted. He retained an active Administrative interest.
It was under the 'new' owners that the huge Gallery cock-up occurred two or three years ago - This demonstrated to many of us just how much difference there is between 'hands on' and 'Big company' control.
The current owners, VerticalScope of Toronto, like to have all their sites under a similar software platform. So they changed those still running the 'old' platform to the current one.
The Current software is called XenForo. It comes as packages and a Media gallery is a bolt on so not part of the forum.
Other users of XenForo have installed a link on their system to enable gallery searches but for whatever reason VScope have decided not to use this. They even seem oblivious to its existence.
We have been told that the development team is working on it - Of that I have my doubts.
The revenue that VScope get from advertisers is likely based largely on the total number of members rather than active members. If it is based on 'clicks' then someone should have noticed a problem by now and tasked someone to deal with it. I have no doubt that the click rate has dropped quite considerably in the last 6 months.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sad to say it sounds as if SN will be hard aground with not a tug in site before anything useful will be done. I would love to be proved wrong in this matter. Case for Lloyds Open Form!

·
Premium Member
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Me too!

Looking at some of the other groups under the same owner... cars etc etc. Might well be that is what the success with advertising. Perhaps the SN member are ship owners looking to by cruise ship. Mind, if we wanted we could get some good fine cruise ships for in the £10 million range.

·
Premium Member
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Back about 2008 I posted a photo of Paris Hilton washing a car. Got quite a few of comments. Perhaps this will new photo will entice members to come back to the Gallery. Paris is now in the Navy!

·
Registered
596 Posts
Me too!

Looking at some of the other groups under the same owner... cars etc etc. Might well be that is what the success with advertising. Perhaps the SN member are ship owners looking to by cruise ship. Mind, if we wanted we could get some good fine cruise ships for in the £10 million range.
If we got hold of a cruise ship we could certainly raise an experienced crew from SN members, our working practices might need a bit of updating though!

·
Premium Member
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
If we got hold of a cruise ship we could certainly raise an experienced crew from SN members, our working practices might need a bit of updating though!
I was thinking about Beverage Manager, Entertainment Manager... even better PURSER!!!!! Film Star wages!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Following a recent post by Pippin on thread,

Is "Ships Nostalgia" going adrift?

I note that thread had 119 posts (in 13 days) many of which had comments similar to those being aired on this thread now and that was in
November 20th 2007.

During those years, there has still been a following.

As a new boy to this forum I find it easy to navigate, but then I don't use the Gallery which seems to be taking the brunt of comments.

If I go to another Forum does that mean I get to repeat my threads and posts as if they are new.

As has been stated, many threads/posts go unanswered, .. why?

I saw one thread Colonel Tom, on the news you couldn't get away from the hero, but on SN there were two responses. On David Attenborough BBC broadcast about the end of the world, very few comments.

If it is to be a Forum exclusive to ships, then I am sure it will eventually die.

Peter

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
One is getting quite nostalgic about Ships Nostalgia. "Fings ain't wot they used to be!"

·
Spongebob
9,417 Posts
One is getting quite nostalgic about Ships Nostalgia. "Fings ain't wot they used to be!"
They certainly ain't , as an example of what things used to be like try pitching back into the ,say 2010 era , thousands of posts per day , many threads , the good, the bad The ugly even in stormy weather but lots of nautical based exchange that enlightened the day .
I might sound like a sentimental old sod but I do miss the old ship and those on board .
Take Phil the Chill, member of many posts and many a laugh as well .

Bob

·
Registered
251 Posts
Well spotted!!
I agree,

Then it is the marine fraternity that is not generating new threads/posts.
It could be the remaining membership have exhausted their memories.

What I was trying to say is this subject of non marine content was raised 14 years ago.

Peter

·
Registered
172 Posts
I scout over 4 similar websites. I did think this one was the better of the bunch (particularly with regards content of the posts) but seems to have had the guts taken out of it. I dont have the same issue with searching the gallery since I am happy just to pick upon a daily basis but I do think that the numbers of picture posts has dropped away and the 'style' has become a tad souless - mainly newer vessels; dredging back into my cargo stowage knowledge, more homogenous! These may well be of interest to younger members, which is fine, but possibly not so appealling to old dogs. I particulalry like the 'life on board' style pics which I find have more nostalgia and interest.

Thread seem a pasty and the auto censoring is quite frankly ludicrous e.g. the post on MV C u mberland. For pity sake we are roffty tuffty sailors?

Otherwise no big deal quickly scanning for a few minutes a day and then quickly moving on. But if this is all we do then. yep it will surely sink.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Remember the Costa cruise ship hitting the rocks,that was some story creating pages and pages of comments. It was a great conversation among knowledgeable seafarers. All lost now.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi guys,just browsing the gallery and inputted ships name in search community and to my surprise my previous post and messages came up. So if you were on Shell tanker just input name and you might get your old ship coming up. I was surprised.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Tried exactly the same but it searched messages/posts but not pics.
I am probably doing something really stupid but where do I input name of vessel and then hit search and come up with pics.
you can tell I haven’t visited the gallery for years.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, I must say this event has sadden me. This trend is ugly at best, this is the second Nautical forum that has been shut down. In memory, "Another has crossed the Bar"

Regards

61 - 80 of 110 Posts