Ships Nostalgia banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a website forum that deals with another subject. It was immensely popular to start and even paid for itself, however since Facebook took over most of the social media world, forums such as mine, and SN are losing custom.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At the risk of repeating myself, again:
Ships Nostalgia was set up originally by people with an interest and knowledge of the subject.
It did pass though some changes but because it was still in control of the original team, members' wishes were foremost.
Some years ago, I cannot recall and I can't bother to look it up, The original site owner was approached by Canadian company that hosts and runs numerous speciality sites as a money making business. They made him a good offer which he obviously accepted. He retained an active Administrative interest.
It was under the 'new' owners that the huge Gallery cock-up occurred two or three years ago - This demonstrated to many of us just how much difference there is between 'hands on' and 'Big company' control.
The current owners, VerticalScope of Toronto, like to have all their sites under a similar software platform. So they changed those still running the 'old' platform to the current one.
The Current software is called XenForo. It comes as packages and a Media gallery is a bolt on so not part of the forum.
Other users of XenForo have installed a link on their system to enable gallery searches but for whatever reason VScope have decided not to use this. They even seem oblivious to its existence.
We have been told that the development team is working on it - Of that I have my doubts.
The revenue that VScope get from advertisers is likely based largely on the total number of members rather than active members. If it is based on 'clicks' then someone should have noticed a problem by now and tasked someone to deal with it. I have no doubt that the click rate has dropped quite considerably in the last 6 months.
Thank for the very clear and well-written explanation.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Perhaps this merits a separate thread but I've only just heard SN's very popular prolific post/member and moderator Art6 sadly crossed the bar last September.
I understand SN management were informed at the time and yet I see no thread or comment anywhere on SN relating to this... ..
If my failing sight is not deceiving me then frankly I'm appalled.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Perhaps this merits a separate thread but I've only just heard SN's very popular prolific post/member and moderator Art6 sadly crossed the bar last September.
I understand SN management were informed at the time and yet I see no thread or comment anywhere on SN relating to this... ..
If my failing sight is not deceiving me then frankly I'm appalled.
I have now started a thread in obits, as you can see.
Tony is still listed as a Super Moderator....

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
Members,

We moderators were aware of Tony's death. His family wished to read his input to SN but requested that his demise was not made public. However I deemed it appropriate that we should have posted an Obit. I requested admin months ago to ask his family if I or one of the other mods could post a suitable Obit. I to date have not had any reply from Admin. So do not think you are alone in not being able to contact or get any help from them. I did post an obit on SH.

Neville

·
Spongebob
9,417 Posts
Members,

We moderators were aware of Tony's death. His family wished to read his input to SN but requested that his demise was not made public. However I deemed it appropriate that we should have posted an Obit. I requested admin months ago to ask his family if I or one of the other mods could post a suitable Obit. I to date have not had any reply from Admin. So do not think you are alone in not being able to contact or get any help from them. I did post an obit on SH.

Neville
Neville , if you are still there as a super moderator on Shps Nostalgia surely you are in a position whereby you can contact the ultimate cotrollers of this critically ill site and persuade changes to gallery access and other short comings that might well restore this place to the sociable group that it once was .
It surely confounds us all that nobody is listening

Spongebob

·
Super Moderator
6,637 Posts
Spongebob,

Unfortunately we Mods have no sway on the powers that be. As I said in my post I have not had a reply to what in my view was an important matter. So me passing anything or expecting replies is at this time impossible.

Neville

·
Registered
308 Posts
Might I suggest to all members that we have a
seven day boycott
of making any posts or having any views on SN?

If that doesn't wake the owners up then I doubt anything would!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well - I will cut off my nose to spite my face and not post on/look at SN for seven days from 24:00Z tonight!

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
If they don't notice complaints from members or direct requests from moderators, why would we expect them to react to no posts? Rather like one hand clapping.

81 - 100 of 110 Posts