Ships Nostalgia banner

101 - 110 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Well - I will cut off my nose to spite my face and not post on/look at SN for seven days from 24:00Z tonight!
You do realise the advertising based system ( even with adblocker) uses 'clicks' to determine visits and usage, even for visitors.
That means you cannot even have a quick look because that would be recorded as a use.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Exactly why I will not be having even a quick peek after tonight!

Ron - One hand clapping? I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
The below has been sent to the owners:

"SN is coming to a very fast END! The Gallery contains 19,256 pages. 24 images per page. That totals to 481,000 photos. HALF A MILLION photos that cannot be even found by searching. HALF A MILLION and almost TWENTY YEARS work from the MEMBERS. Never mind the rest of the site. There are some 105,000 members. Back in the day you could read hundreds or comments every days. Today? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless the GALLERY is opened up again people will continue to loose members. We have been talking about this for MONTHS and we are still not getting any answers. A real mess."
The below has been sent to the owners:

"SN is coming to a very fast END! The Gallery contains 19,256 pages. 24 images per page. That totals to 481,000 photos. HALF A MILLION photos that cannot be even found by searching. HALF A MILLION and almost TWENTY YEARS work from the MEMBERS. Never mind the rest of the site. There are some 105,000 members. Back in the day you could read hundreds or comments every days. Today? NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless the GALLERY is opened up again people will continue to loose members. We have been talking about this for MONTHS and we are still not getting any answers. A real mess."
I absolutely agree with the above comments. Since the last modification this site suffered, I cannot find one ship history, one ship photo, nothing. I've been a paying member for years and suddenly this site has become totally useless to me. If this situation does not change I will have to quit because I'm paying and I get nothing at all inreturn, Absolute zero...
Ships Nostalgia was just about perfect before and then, all of a sudden it has become useless.
Andwe get no feedback about aou complaints. I have written about this to one of the moderators a few months ago, but got no reply at all...
I hope this situation changes and that Ships Nostalgia gets back to serving its members. This way this site is good for nothing...
Linerwise1

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I totally agree with each of your words Georgie, this change in SN format has been the most disastrous for all of us, we have lost that exchange of comments always very interesting about our life at sea or about these issues, for that reason I stopped all my uploads of photos to the site, regarding SH also I have stopped posting my photos due to the lack of interest of its members in seeing them and commenting on the ship shown, etc; therefore the only site 100% on our interest is shipspotting.com

Regards

Tomi.
I absolutely agree with the comments above. Since the last modification this site suffered, I cannot find one ship history, one ship photo, nothing. I'm a paying member for years and suddenly this site has become totally useless to me. If this situation does not change I will quit because I'm paying for nothing, I get nothin in return...
And our complaintsget no feedback at all. I have written about this to one of the moderators a few months ago, but I got no reply at all...
Ships Nostalgia used to be just about perfect. The new format just killed it.
Best regards!
Linerwise1

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Suggest you read #94 on the previous page to see the position our Moderators are relative to SN owners...
The answer to all the SN tales of woe is nothing less than a dialogue with Verticalscope the site owners whose contact details are at the bottom of each and every SN page..
If you wish to conduct a private crusade Verticalscope parent company is Torstar (Toronto Star) and both are well docümented on the www..
I've emailed as many contact channels I can find and have not received a single reply..

ps For any Verticalscope management reading...
Had I not used ü umulaut in docümented it would have "come" out as do***ented. !!!!!!
Ships Nostalgia once the seafaring "tour de force" website on the www now a compete farce.

·
Premium Member
11,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Hello Frank,

At the beginning of this thread I explained that my message was not just to the group, the message was sent to the Verticalscope. Perhaps they cannot tread either!

Stephen

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
Yesterday, in quick succession, I posted the same (high quality, I think) photograph of a perfectly boring car carrier on here and also on SH. At midnight the "hit" score here on SN was 17 (plus a comment with ship details from good old member Bno1). Meanwhile, on SH the score was 2 views. SN is maybe not as dead as some of us might think but if these forking know-nothing (about ships) are-soles who run this site don't get their act together and add a search option to the Gallery, their nice little earner will be well and truly forked-up.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Yesterday, in quick succession, I posted the same (high quality, I think) photograph of a perfectly boring car carrier on here and also on SH. At midnight the "hit" score here on SN was 17 (plus a comment with ship details from good old member Bno1). Meanwhile, on SH the score was 2 views. SN is maybe not as dead as some of us might think but if these forking know-nothing (about ships) are-soles who run this site don't get their act together and add a search option to the Gallery, their nice little earner will be well and truly forked-up.
You might want to give it more time for an accurate count, there is a lot of bot activity on just about every web site, crawling through every post, which jacks up post "views". Maybe a month will be enough.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would like to read and post to the SN site but find it too difficult to use. Moreover, it has stopped recognizing my member details in the few galleries I had used regularly and it doesn't seem to accept my membership requests when I seek admission to any other galleries. When I attempt to start over again by entirely "re-joining" Ships Nostalgia using a new name and password it bars me because the email address I submit is the same as the previously loaded address. Then there's a bit of an attitude issue: when I still had access (shortly after I first joined) I tried to post photos to the photo gallery/archive but failed. Since the photos concerned a narrative I was posting, for the sake of expedience I added the photos behind the text of the message I was posting. I promptly received advice from the "high table" executive site management telling me I should post photos in the photo archive. I quickly learned that SN membership was not meant to be user friendly and and switched over to a tugboat group on Facebook. Let me add that the revised page formats, banners, the whole "new look" Ships Nostalgia site, was in my opinion a giant step in the wrong direction. I'm very disappointed.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
There are some differences between the sites which may go some way to explaining what is happening.

On SN one only gets a peep-hole thumbnail and it is necessary to open, and tick the viewing figures, in order to see the full picture. Even the picture title needs one to make a positive response and on most tablets there might not be a 'hover' function, so it gets opened to just see the name.
Add to that the fact that there is much less input to the gallery nowadays so the few that are posted are more likely to be viewed.

On SH, much like the old SN, the thumbnails show the full image and there is a visible title so members can just scan through and pick what they fancy from the currently larger daily input.

I suspect that Bno1, having input data on SN, might not do the same as Bno2 on SH for the same image.

Nice clear pic by the way, and if anyone in future wants to view it then they know where they can readily find it.

101 - 110 of 110 Posts