Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
It was a pity that Tony Blair & Co didn't show the same level of scepticism to the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" alleged by the USA to be held by Saddam Hussein. Don't like the man, he has been a disaster as a leader of both HM Opposition and his party, but think he is right on this occasion. We have to be on guard against attempts to scare us into following the adventures of the right-wing hawks.

Show us the proof of your accusations, independently audited, and we may believe you. Otherwise, the accused will be found innocent. That is how law works.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a pity that Tony Blair & Co didn't show the same level of scepticism to the "Weapons of Mass Destruction...........

An even greater pity,surely, if Israel had been wiped off the face of the planet......as Saddam had threatened?????

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
It was a pity that Tony Blair & Co didn't show the same level of scepticism to the "Weapons of Mass Destruction...........

An even greater pity,surely, if Israel had been wiped off the face of the planet......as Saddam had threatened?????
Any attack on Israel could have been dealt with without invading Iraq, deposing SH, and destabilising the region.
GW1 was justified.
GW2 was a huge error.

·
Registered
6,863 Posts

Sparkie, surely you can't believe that Saddam was any genuine threat to Israel? Lots of threatening words was all that he really had in his armoury. He was well aware that the thrashing his army received following the invasion of Kuwait would have been nothing compared to the outcome of any serious attack on Israel (and, of course, the USA). Sadly, and to their everlasting shame, the Labour government of the day were misled by Tony B Liar and the US government into supporting GW2.

Had Blair insisted on seeing the evidence of the alleged threats to the USA and the UK, he would have been supporting the welfare of the UK and the Middle East, instead of promoting his own career objectives. Corbyn seems to be a more cautious character (and how!) who prefers to do nothing rather than stick his neck out (see Brexit).

·
Registered
6,863 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
It was a pity that Tony Blair & Co didn't show the same level of scepticism to the "Weapons of Mass Destruction" alleged by the USA to be held by Saddam Hussein. Don't like the man, he has been a disaster as a leader of both HM Opposition and his party, but think he is right on this occasion. We have to be on guard against attempts to scare us into following the adventures of the right-wing hawks.

Show us the proof of your accusations, independently audited, and we may believe you. Otherwise, the accused will be found innocent. That is how law works.
I agree with you. Corbyn is at least saying keep an open mind, and look for a peaceful resolution. It's easy to agree with big brother over the pond and forget there are more civilised ways of doing things. Innocent until Proven guilty comes to mind.
Within minutes of the first US allegations, the UK government agreed with them, and the next day the UK came up with their own intelligence "Proof". Tanker Men stuck in the middle, and they have no axe to grind, and are just pawns of course.

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
I also can't agree that what we have been allowed to see amounts to evidence although I have to ask would you take a mine off the side of a ship with such aplomb if it wasn't one of yours?

That doesn't make me think for a moment the ayrab primitives did NOT do it however.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"We don't need an atomic bomb because we have advanced chemical weapons,'

Saddam Hussein

The Reagan administration and its special Middle East envoy, Donald Rumsfeld, did little to stop Iraq developing weapons of mass destruction in the 1980s, even though they knew Saddam Hussein was using chemical weapons "almost daily" against Iran, it was reported yesterday.

A 1994 congressional inquiry also found that dozens of biological agents, including various strains of anthrax, had been shipped to Iraq by US companies, under licence from the commerce department.

Furthermore, in 1988, the Dow Chemical company sold $1.5m-worth (£930,000) of pesticides to Iraq despite suspicions they would be used for chemical warfare.

US support for Baghdad during the Iran-Iraq war as a bulwark against Shi'ite militancy has been well known for some time, but using declassified government do***ents, the Washington Post provided new details yesterday about Mr Rumsfeld's role, and about the extent of the Reagan administration's knowledge of the use of chemical weapons.

The Guardian.

Saddam had (and used) weapons of mass destruction..... America supplied them.

The 50/50 vision in the aftermath of the Iraq war conveniently overlooks the above.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ref NATO.....

""It's a Cold War organisation, it should have been wound up in 1990 along with the Warsaw Pact"

Jeremy Corbyn

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
"We don't need an atomic bomb because we have advanced chemical weapons,'

Saddam Hussein
But Israel, the UK and the USA did have nuclear weapons and the means to deliver them. No contest, Iraq was only an imaginary threat.

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
I think that those hawks in the Trump administration, Bolton and Pompeo are thirsting for a war with Iran. This whole thing has a very fishy smell about it.

A strange discrepancy has emerged with the owner of the Japanese tanker disputing the ship was hit with a limpet mine. Instead, he says, the crew reported "flying objects".
I think Corbyn is right, we should stand back and see what is really going on here instead of obediently falling into line behind Trump.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D89yc54WsAA7INQ.jpg:large

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Ref NATO.....

""It's a Cold War organisation, it should have been wound up in 1990 along with the Warsaw Pact"

Jeremy Corbyn
having been in the Baltic States in recent past they think we still are in a Cold War situation...

geoff

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I think that those hawks in the Trump administration, Bolton and Pompeo are thirsting for a war with Iran. This whole thing has a very fishy smell about it.

A strange discrepancy has emerged with the owner of the Japanese tanker disputing the ship was hit with a limpet mine. Instead, he says, the crew reported "flying objects".
I think Corbyn is right, we should stand back and see what is really going on here instead of obediently falling into line behind Trump.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D89yc54WsAA7INQ.jpg:large
Have we all forgotten how a hawkish Secretary of defence ( Robert McNamara) distorted the 'Gulf of Tonkin' imaginary attacks to create the escalation that led to the all out Vietnam war?

'Robert McNamara was a pussycat compared to Bolton. Why just blame Blair; he was just the fall guy for the US/Israel plan for the ME.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts