Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trawling through SN and looking at the "MEMBERS NOTICE BOARD > 740 new threads in Korean" thread, it seems to have somehow moved from what to do about these heathens with their impossible script to members eyesight, and there were a few posts on that subject. So, not wanting to derail another thread, here is my experience of declining eyesight surgery.

A couple of years ago my optician, when checking my eyes for glasses that would get me through my GP's driving licence exam, told me that I had cataracts. He prescribed glasses that got me through the test, but warned that I would one day need surgery, and I finally bit the bullet because I was no longer comfortable with driving.

I had private health insurance that paid for me to receive treatment in a private hospital, and on my first visit they did all sorts of tests on my eyes until the surgeon said "Your eyes are basically healthy but you have cataracts. We can replace them and give you full vision."

A week later, and lying on a hospital bed dressed in a sterile gown, I was wheeled into the operating theatre having had this gorgeous nurse putting drops in my eye for the last half-hour. Then the surgery: The surgeon stuck a needle in my eye, dissolved the lens with an ultrasonic probe and drew it out. During that procedure I was conscious of a blurring in my left eye (the one that was first treated), but I didn't feel any pain. A brief period when the new lens was inserted, and suddenly the theatre lights became pristine clear when they had been blurred before. Then he removed the frame or whatever it was that kept my eyelids open and stuck a clear plastic eye patch over the eye. "Come back tomorrow and let's see how we have done." He said.

The next day they did all sorts of tests again, and because I was forbidden to drive, No.1 son delivered me and collected me afterwards. They took the eye shade from me and binned it and turned me loose. On the way home No.1 son asked if I could see clearly out of that eye now, and to my astonishment I could actually read the number plate of a car so far ahead that I would hardly been able to even see before.

Then the other eye a month later, followed by more tests and when they were completed the surgeon said "Fine. All OK. You now have twenty-twenty vision in both eyes. You might need glasses for close up work and small print, but you will never need driving glasses again."

This was a revelation! I hadn't realised just how bad my vision was becoming but, suddenly, I had full peripheral vision again, and I could see details and colours that I had not been aware of for years. I could sit in front of my computer as I am doing now, but I am not wearing glasses.

Now I have two plastic lenses in my eyes, and after a couple of months of inconvenience I can forget about opticians appointments ever again. So if any members are wondering if this treatment would help them then I would strongly suggest going for it. It is quick, painless, and astonishingly effective!

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
My experience almost exactly mirrors yours, ART 6, except I just had it done one after the other and had no covering or second visit. The thing is far less problem and worry than having your teeth polished and much better than cutting your toenails. Really, don't hesitate just get it done. There is a quoted 1000:1 chance of something going wrong, the effect is immediate and staggering. I was punctilious with after care, putting drops in. I have worn dark glasses most of the time since then, especially in very strong sun, but it makes sense anyway.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I have had one eye done so far and agree no hassle surgery.....problem is I have a further disorder involving me in multiple eye injections, costing, I am told £950 a shot!.....in addition my other eye has suffered a tear in the retina which needed about 50 laser shots.......but you only get one pair of eyes so grateful for the attention that the NHS is giving me.

geoff

·
Registered
703 Posts
Worked well for me. Had a cataract in my right eye fixed last year. No problems and driving again after 48 hours. Checkups confirm I can comfortably exceed the driving test requirements without specs after having needed them for the last 60-odd years. There is a (slight) downside - I do sometimes need reading glasses for the impossibly tiny print on food packaging labels to work out how long the microwave should be on.
Happy days,
gwzm

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Cataracts if you're on private insurance an opthalmo's dream...
AMD or age related macular degeneration is equally the same in the world of privatised eyeball mechanics.... A licence to print money...
In a nutshell two types of AMD wet and dry...
Former with expensive rip off injections to keep stabilised and latter no chance except a very heavily concentrated diet of fish food...

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Excuse my cynical approach..
Cataracts if you're on private insurance an opthalmo's Lexus or Tesla dream...
AMD or age related macular degeneration is equally the same in the world of privatised eyeball mechanics.... A licence to print money...
AMD in a nutshell two types ie wet and dry...
Former to keep stabilised further opthalmo rip off injections and latter no chance except a very heavily concentrated diet of fish food...
Mine a daily intake of Guinness because it has the poorest record of beer clearing aka finings that come from fish swim bladders..
If no Guinness try Heinekens.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
ps... Wet type macular degeneration (UK) potion to buy across the counter and if (pse excuse the pun) you can find them elsewhere all same old Blue Funnel A boat..

mv "Astaxanthim."

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You don't want to go on the State in this place believe me. Aaaargh! Castle and Lion?, bloody Philistine, have you never heard of Windhoek?, Beer brewed to the Reinheitsgebot standards of 1516, originally from the good ole South West, or Namibia to the purists

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
What makes you think I've never experienced SA state medicine or ever been to Windhoek..
Keep taking the privatised pill om sounds like you're in desperate need..

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You come across as something of a Pillock, possibly you should have the operation to help you find your marbles. There again it might be too late.
Stop taking the Pills.

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny thing that was the immediate impression I got from you via #11 ..
You know R651400, I do wonder why you feel it necessary to make so many caustic and occasionally offensive posts? Can you not involve yourself in an debate with other members while respecting their views even if you disagree with them? With the greatest reluctance I am beginning to wonder if you are just a troll, and that is not something of which I would not normally ever accuse a fellow member. I am a member of several Internet forums where many of your posts would have earned you a moderator warning and a site ban if you continued.

Please try to be a little less aggressive and join in the spirit of the debate? (Thumb)

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Doubling up on this thread before it degenerates into a fight over Guinness or South African gnats ..... After my first surgery on my left eye there was a minor problem, in that my vision had become so clear that I found that there was a house fly that was pestering the heck out of me. When I was sitting enjoying a tot or two in the evening, that damned fly kept flitting across my vision, and when I tried to swat the bast**d I always missed. I bought a can of nuclear-option fly spray that was guaranteed to even kill the flies in the next county when used in the home, but that damned fly seemed to be impervious to it. I tried to hit him when he landed with everything from tea towels to the daily newspaper (which was of little other value), but he always escaped. He was always this fast-moving little black missile that had a reaction time of microseconds.

I only discovered after a while that when I took a hot shower the little bugger was still there, flitting around the shower curtain when he couldn't be. So when I went into surgery for my right eye I asked the surgeon "Why do I keep seeing this bloody fly and why can't I ever catch him?" He explained to me patiently that the fly was actually something called a "Floater" -- a tiny particle of congealed matter that would move around at random in the gel inside my eyeball, appearing as a fleeting small black dot on the edge of my vision, and there was nothing that could be done about it.

Oh well! Now that I know I will no longer have to keep throwing tea towels in the wash and unread newspapers in the bin in case they are contaminated with squashed fly. Unfortunate for the village shop because he had just got in a new stock of fly spray in order to keep up with my demand but, as before, he will no doubt offer it at a discount come December. (Jester)

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Upon reflection given my new eyesight I now see that my post #16 was unacceptable having been written in moment of irritation that was unwarranted. I should be too mature for those sorts of reactions but it seems that I am not yet. So I apologise to R651400 unreservedly and hope that it might be accepted.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have a happy Canadian experience with cataract surgery . After years of failing eyesight I was referred to an ophthalmologist and he agreed I had cataracts in both eyes and later he went ahead and operated on just the one. There is obviously a rationing system in this country. I was not overly impressed with the results and a few years went by before the same ophthalmologist decided to remove some old scar tissue without actually telling me what he was to do. Voila! Instantly I had near perfect vision in that one eye and have not worn glasses in two years. It really did seem like a miracle after having worn glasses for nearly forty years. Wish there was a similar form of relief for my deafness that is only marginally helped by two very expensive hearing aids. Shouldn't grumble since I still have my two original hips and knee joints, some teeth and quite a lot of my hair.

Nick

1 - 20 of 29 Posts