Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can we control the flying terrors(mosquitoes),and coexist with them.
Anyone got any magic potions we can apply on our skin,to keep them sawing into our skin,PLZ.(==D)

·
Registered
295 Posts
How can we control the flying terrors(mosquitoes),and coexist with them.
Anyone got any magic potions we can apply on our skin,to keep them sawing into our skin,PLZ.(==D)
Apparently Avon skin so soft is the best repellent. I’ve never used it myself but the coffee shop at Crinnan used to sell it. Must be something in it because that is midge country.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
The Highland Menace- here I was expecting to confront some wild Caledonian figure creating trouble but it is just a bug

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
The wooded uplands of East Antrim is plagued with the aggressive Ulster Midge, a half sister of the highland clan. Can be controlled by wearing a balaclava but such headgear carries its own dangers.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
What? WHAT?

Crap call. FJ. I am now being eaten alive by pigeons.
David, David, David! You don't mean to say you've abandoned TT Week to go to that there London!!!

I shall get-out my joss-sticks and say a few incantations to get you to do a '180' and get back to 'The Island'. Cheers bud! Phil (Thumb)

·
Registered
425 Posts
If there is one thing that shouldn't be trifled with and that is the insect life of the Western Highlands.There are mudgies in Tighnabruach that would eat through metal roofs to get at you.Terrific hyperbole from Para Handy Tales.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Diclofenac, the ingredient in Voltarol, keeps them away so just put a dab behind your ears when you're rubbing it into your sore bits!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
No problem for me. They must think I'm obnoxious. Same with the girls.

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
Surely ptarmigan. Pigeons are so common and numerous.
I suspect more ptarmigan are bitten by members than do the biting (perhaps not for seniors as shot can damage dental work). The club is frequented by Parakeets (sort of industrial budgerigars) but as far as I know have not bitten anyone (well, maybe an oik or two over the fence in the park but that doesn't count).

·
Premium Member
10,420 Posts
David, David, David! You don't mean to say you've abandoned TT Week to go to that there London!!!

I shall get-out my joss-sticks and say a few incantations to get you to do a '180' and get back to 'The Island'. Cheers bud! Phil (Thumb)
Not the happiest of TTs, Phil. Wet, wet, wet. The bikers don't seem to be that worried though. Some in the pub on Friday remarked that anyone coming and not prepared for the worst shouldn't bother. Did Bushy's "TT Village" for the first time last Saturday. Excellent pint for GBP 3 even if one has to drink it from a plastic. Unfortunately music started at 1830 instead of the 1930 advertised, fled to somewhere quieter.

·
Registered
439 Posts
The wooded uplands of East Antrim is plagued with the aggressive Ulster Midge, a half sister of the highland clan. Can be controlled by wearing a balaclava but such headgear carries its own dangers.
Good one (Applause)

Yes ! but a less painful death than being sucked dry by they little ****s. Ruined many a romantic night in my younger days.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Not the happiest of TTs, Phil. Wet, wet, wet. The bikers don't seem to be that worried though. Some in the pub on Friday remarked that anyone coming and not prepared for the worst shouldn't bother. Did Bushy's "TT Village" for the first time last Saturday. Excellent pint for GBP 3 even if one has to drink it from a plastic. Unfortunately music started at 1830 instead of the 1930 advertised, fled to somewhere quieter.
That would be OK - I prefer Tchaikovsky to Jazz! (Jester)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Apparently the Royal Marines swear by Skin So Soft - though I would think the scent would alert the enemy.

Personally I have never found anything that works here on the west coast of Scotland. I will be doing Great Crested Newt surveys soon which have to be done at dusk and dawn just when the midges are most active! They are here in droves far earlier than usual this year!

·
Registered
6,863 Posts
Apparently the Royal Marines swear by Skin So Soft - though I would think the scent would alert the enemy.

Personally I have never found anything that works here on the west coast of Scotland. I will be doing Great Crested Newt surveys soon which have to be done at dusk and dawn just when the midges are most active! They are here in droves far earlier than usual this year!
Don't they know that it has been reported that there is a massive decline in the presence of flying insects throughout Europe. They are deliberately ignoring the experts!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts