Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Q1. What happend in Ciudad Bolivia in 1819.?

Q2. Which Amerindian tribe lives along the banks of the upper Orinoco?

Q3. What is the origin of the name Orinoco.

Q4. How much of the river is navigable.

Barney.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Q3. The name Orinoco is derived from Guarauno words meaning “a place to paddle”—i.e., a navigable place.

Frank

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Q1. In 1819 Simon Bolivar addressed the country his famous "Discurso de Angostura" (Angostura's Speech), in which he gave up all the special powers The Congress had granted him and laid out the new republic paradigm.

Q4. 1000 miles (1670 km) of the Orinoco are navigable, and about 341 of those can be used for sailing large ships.

Frank

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
On Feb19 1819 Simon Bolivar and compatriots got together and formulated a new constitution for Venezuala.
As 12 separate tribes live alongside the river,which one do you want, the yanomani are the main ones.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Q1. Simon Bolivar, led congress that organized original Republic of Columbia. ( Now Equador, Columbia, Panama And Venezuela). Bolivar became 1st president 1899.
Frank, R58484956..........Well done..... Both right.

Q2. The Yanomami..........R58484956..... Well done.

Q3. A place to paddle..........Frank........ Well done.

Q4.
Frank, not quite there. Navigableby large river steamers from the Delta to, name place. about 1,127km from Delta.
Barney.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
R58484956, You are half right. Ocean ships can go as far as Cuidad Bolivar. River steamers can go about twice that distance. can you find where they can not go any further.
Barney.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure just how far up is navigable, but I went up the Orinoco whilst on MV Caledonia (Anchor/Runciman) in around 1976. If my memory serves me correctly we loaded around 30k tons of iron ore from a place called Puerto Ordaz. This we carried to Baton Rouge, before washing out en route to New Orleans where we loaded Soya Beans, then up the "Big Muddy" a tad further to Baton Rouge for MORE Soya, before returning the whole lot to Rotterdam.

Don't remember much about Puerto Ordaz, as we wern't allowed shore leave (not sure why, but we were only there overnight. Darned quick stuff to load, that iron ore!!). I do remember the trip back down the Orinoco was eventful, in that the Pilot put us onto a sandbank for a couple of hours.

Funny how these little details keep coming back, isn't it?

Sorry to take the thread slightly OT.
...OK guys....get back to Ciudad Bolivar now!!!

Dave H.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Q1. Proclaimed the republic of Gran Columbia......Frank & R58484956.

Q2. The Yanomami...........R58484956.

Q3. A place to paddle.........Frank.

Q4. Navigable to large steamersUp to Atures Rapids.......Frank & Chris.

I should have said, large river steamers. You can go furtherup river in small boats.

Well done all. Barney.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
First trip up that river was in 1956 on Ropners "Ingleby".
Only sailed in daylight and when we arrived there there was only an ore loading dock. Nothing else.
That was bad news for the C/stewart who was hoping to replish the stores he had forgotten to get (sold) in Italy.
A hungry trip up to Morrisville in USA.
Lost all notions then of exotic places that sailors went to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts