Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outrage has greeted demands by the LGBT lobby that a ship should no longer be referred to as “She” but henceforth as “It”. The outrage is increased by the knowledge that at least one maritime museum has yielded to the demand by agreeing, effectively, to rewrite history. Let us pray.

THE PERSONAL PRONOUN

A pronoun serves to designate a person or a thing,
By He or She or It, as we might speak or we might sing.
These articles are definite, which means that they define
The masculine and feminine and neuter, line by line.

And sometimes they are not exact and sometimes He means She;
And She means He, to complicate things still, to some degree;
And sometimes Things are personal and loved, as in folk lore.
A Ship is always called a She, to complicate things more.

For, when a She becomes a He or Him becomes a Her,
All language is corrupted, meaning nonsense, as it were,
As neither one becomes an It. Humanity prevents.
God help us now the Ladies sluice their bladders in the Gents.

What madness is upon us? My dear Grandmama was Martha.
A battle-axe. A fighter. No-one thought to call her Arthur,
When It was it and He was He and each Ship was a She;
And language had a meaning, with defined reality.

She is a thing of beauty. None would say this of a man;
Whose attributes (if any) are quite different, in the Plan,
Of all the things which govern us, truth rises over most,
A thing which, when it’s overlooked, is sadly at our cost.

BY

·
King Ratt
1,955 Posts
You’ve nailed it, Barrie. I will show your verse to Mrs T later today. We certainly live in an age of nonsense.

Regards

KR

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
If we are all to become gender-neutral the human race will become extinct in a couple of generations, won't it? And is it no longer permitted for me refer to my wife as "She", using "It" instead? I am unsure how that might be regarded but I am tempted to try it to demonstrate my passion for PC, but before I do so I will check with my private health insurer that the consequences will not be classed as self-inflicted! (Jester)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Totally and utterly mad and stupid. I will continue to refer to a ship as 'she.' Strangely, it is rare that I refer to my car as 'she', though it is forever throwing tantrums and is costing me a fortune to maintain....

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I was told, many years ago, by a retired Naval Officer, that all ships were called "She" primarily because they cost a fortune in powder and paint.

·
Premium Member
11,601 Posts
Ocean Liners, general cargo etc of the past should be called 'she'. Cruise ships of today, box boats etc are 'it'. Some of the latter are so ughly that you might want to add the 'sh' in front of 'it'!!!!

·
Super Moderator
3,532 Posts
Ocean Liners, general cargo etc of the past should be called 'she'. Cruise ships of today, box boats etc are 'it'. Some of the latter are so ughly that you might want to add the 'sh' in front of 'it'!!!!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, especially if she is an accountant! (Jester)

·
Registered
885 Posts
Splendid sentiments, Barrie.
I once read of a poetry competition for 'Women Writers Only' and was moved to compose this:

Women Writers Only

So, the gentlemen's bars are gone.
Sailors have to duck under lines of knickers.
There is nowhere now that a man can be a bloke
Without having some bare-midriffed Kylie walk in,
Pint in hand, smoking, swearing, spitting;
But WE are to be kept out of THEIR poetry anthologies.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Superb Barrie. However we all know that PC is perpetrated by those in no way affected by the issue they target, and want to make rules purely for the sake of imposing control on others.

In my book political correctitude is worse than any bad language. I was recently criticised for referring in my paperwork to the handicapped. I was told we must now call them the disabled. I added the comment that I saw no difference between the two synonyms. If I do as I was told (or advised) I may find the fashion has changed the following month. Most of these pretence euphemisms are dreamed up by those who imagine they are doing a favour to the disadvantaged. The disadvantaged have no need of such patronism.

I invite those holier than I am to prove themselves.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
#9 & #10

D'accords - and many thanks.

Where the thought police are concerned, it's a case of "Give an inch and they'll take a mile" - with truth dismissed, in consequence, as meaningless.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Like this one, perhaps? (Jester)

Attachments

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
wasn't the figure head on the prow always a woman , wasn't "she". The ship the nearest thing to a mother while we were on the high seas . She gave us security, comfort , and substituted for many aspects of home .

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Within the lifetimes of most of us it was a criminal offence to aid and abet homosexuality (because homosexuality was itself a criminal offence).

It remains a criminal offence to aid and abet any criminal offence.

The paradox is that when homosexuality is no longer a criminal offence there are quite clearly those who seek to make it a criminal offence to refrain from aiding and abetting it. Truly the world is mad.

Are we all now obliged to aid and abet horse-racing - or anything else restricted to pleasure? May God help us all.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
A lot of folk call ships "it" these days. I prefer "she". Have to admit, at the end of a recent cruise I did find myself, like everyone else, referring to "the boat"! I did, of course, stab myself in the eye when I realised what I'd done.

Maybe the thin end of the wedge was when a lot of companies replaced MV with MS?

I generally refer to Lesbians as "it" rather than "she". With their crew cuts and men's clothes they are just funny looking blokes after all.

John T

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
A lot of folk call ships "it" these days. I prefer "she". Have to admit, at the end of a recent cruise I did find myself, like everyone else, referring to "the boat"! I did, of course, stab myself in the eye when I realised what I'd done.

Maybe the thin end of the wedge was when a lot of companies replaced MV with MS?

I generally refer to Lesbians as "it" rather than "she". With their crew cuts and men's clothes they are just funny looking blokes after all.

John T
Blokes with bumps?????(Jester)(Jester)

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When the LGBT lobby keeps itself within the law it is difficult to object.

But when some dreadful harridan, wholly ignorant of legitimate maritime custom and practice, sees fit to preach to a maritime museum, then I feel the need to throw up.

As to homophobia - phobia itself means fear.

I have very little-if any- hatred of anything - but I do fear greatly any corruption of the truth when it reaches the level of public authority, as has happened here.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Who (excluding the previous writers) actually cares ?
There are far more important things to concern yourselves about.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts