Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When or when not should corrections to works shown in the Gallerysection be allowed? Here is a starter:

stein
Marinescenes has in no way been offensive in his correction, as I see it. And his suggestions for research points to more valuable proof of his point than any demonstration of his eventual modelbuilding prowess could be.

The model looks great, and so worth a possible slight change as regards anchor gear.

Consider this drawing: https://picclick.fr/WALFANGBOOT-Harp...l#&gid=1&pid=2 And this Wikipedia entry: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.A._Larsen
( Click on the picture of the, by nhp651 mentioned, Rau IX, somewhat down on on the left side.)

i'm sorry SteIn, but I think it was a crass comment...…….a person has, in my mind to prove his capabilities as a modeller before he comments about faults on another persons model on an open forum in public...…

I as a modeller woud be incensed if someone did that to me openly...…...if I had made a mistake, contact me in private by all means to correct me..……….

I would never publicly tell someone that they had made a cockup on anything that they are more knowledgeable than I...….its not on, its bad manners and just not in the realms of good spirit.

if someone wishes to correct another persons work...…...THEN DO IT IN PRIVATE.
nhp651
I have no objections to you pointing out such discrepancies with any model marine scenes...…….what I do object to...……….IS DOING IT IN PUBLIC, for all to see...………...if you wish to avail the builder of his mistakes then do it in private.

I built this same kit many years ago and there were probably many mistakes on the model...…...and had someone took me to one side and told me of such mistakes, I would have been grateful...……...but to announce it in public …..IS JUST NOT ON..i'd have metaphorically kicked him in his crown jewels, or in your case, under your sporran, ....not only does it embarrass the builder, but it makes you out to be a know all, big head...…...and that is what really annoys me.

You are a former teacher I see - strange then that you should be so opposed to anyone trying to teach you anything out in the open, as in a classroom. I just do not understand what should be so extremely painful about an eventual public revelation of your less than total knowledge about ships.

Accepting the truth of ones limitations seems to me, if not the most important message one should try to install in the young, then certainly one close to it. And promising to place a kick in a painful place on the perpetrator of such a to you horrible misdeed, as pointing out some room for improvement in what is merely a model (and so rather far away from the importance of, for example, a wife or a child), makes me doubt that you were suited for your chosen profession.

I will admit a significant difference between professionals and amateurs, and the need to avoid all criticism when the possible use of it is negligible, but this model above is an excellent one. Museum standard as far as I can judge. One there would be a shame to leave with such an easily repairable blemish, likely theresolely through the fault of the model kit’s producer.

A slightly hurt pride when criticised is human, and even searching for excuses is, but one should learn to quench ones anger if one wants to learn something. I remember in art school, making large figure drawings in charcoal under the tutelage of a Professor Faaborg. Drawn lines in charcoal is mere powder, and does not stick to paper until it is fastened with a fixative, so Faaborg walked around in class with a big piece of cloth and with great precision snapped away what to him lacked the proper proportions, often half the figure, the result of much work. Some pupils did indeed get mute, wide eyed and pale when victim to this destructive criticism, but most of us told ourselves - next time I will get it right! And, thereby, as a supplement, we learned a little about handling rejection.

god, Stein, you spout bull**** at times...……

one thing a student teacher is taught in university in this country is..... NOT TO PUBLICALLY RIDICULE OR PRESS FORWARD THE MISTAKES OF A PUPIL, in front of his/her peers......it might be different in Norway, but gladly I don't need to worry about any other country other than those I have taught in.

I shall say no more, and let you spout on to your hearts content.
and finally, your last sentence seams to admit that you advocate verbal bullying, to my mind...………….and I find that intolerable and disgusting, and don't see any point in arguing with a bully.

The art-school example was of course a bit extreme, if read as a model for teachers. I think of it as a bit grotesque in a funny way. I am not presenting the philosophy of Wolf Larsen (“The Sea Wolf”) as an ideal in pedagogics, though whether in Antarctic whaling or in UK schools you must at one stage face up to the facts of life. I see the UK is down to 23’rd place in the Pisa-rankings (world school performance statistics), and that Singapore is way ahead of the rest – and I have my doubts that Singapore would be your haven of pedagogical gentleness.

(Norway, at rank 17, btw., is perhaps showing an even less impressive performance, given its oil riches...)

Graham the pipe

How pathetic and childish that ~ let's politely say 'a slight difference of opinion' ~ turns into an open forum 'slanging match' and that's putting it John Bluntly.

I'm NOT proud of the fact that, a few years ago, I was instantaneously double DRd for making just ONE, honest comment. Thought you both ought to know. Have a good day gentlemen. GGG

stein

You seem as capable of "slanging" you yourself so as to deserve a warm welcome to the fray I suppose. But the sentiment underneath the dirt thrown I can sympathise with, and will suggest that further replies be transferred to "Stormy Weather". The theme I find well worth a continued debate.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Interesting thread kicking off here I think I'll get a bucket of popcorn and a cold beer to follow it :)
Hope not to be disappointed as I:

1) Obtained all my tickets in the UK.

2) Sailed Master on Norwegian chemical tankers for 18 years.

3) Sailed under Singapore Flag Administration for 5 years

(Read)

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I have been corrected many times on SN - apparently Britain isn't a country; Cappuccino is not a monkey, only a coffee and 'mixing' the two is not funny; Frangio is not a Leftie and there must be dozens more I can't remember. I see no harm if it is done within a polite reply but not in a 'smart-aris' way. If used as an attempt to ridicule.

JJ.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Congratulations on knocking EU..whats happening, off the top slot. Incidentally some people consider a kick in the nuts to be more painful than childbirth.
I think it's a matter of gender. I have heard it said that childbirth is like trying to s**t a melon, but my informant wasn't qualified to compare this with a kick in the nuts. Will we ever know?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I think it's a matter of gender. I have heard it said that childbirth is like trying to s**t a melon, but my informant wasn't qualified to compare this with a kick in the nuts. Will we ever know?
Robert, I can tell you that a kick in the nuts is easily more painful than childbirth because when a woman has a baby and is laid in hospital she swears blue that she will never go through it ever again but within 12 months most are more than willing to have another baby whereas I have yet to hear anyone who ever received a kick in the nuts ask for another one! QED!(Jester)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Robert, I can tell you that a kick in the nuts is easily more painful than childbirth because when a woman has a baby and is laid in hospital she swears blue that she will never go through it ever again but within 12 months most are more than willing to have another baby whereas I have yet to hear anyone who ever received a kick in the nuts ask for another one! QED!(Jester)
That seems to make sense. However I have been told that women are blest with a sort of amnesia that causes them to forget the pain shortly after the event. Does a man forget a kick in the nuts? Is more research needed? Who will volunteer to be a guinea pig?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
That seems to make sense. However I have been told that women are blest with a sort of amnesia that causes them to forget the pain shortly after the event. Does a man forget a kick in the nuts? Is more research needed? Who will volunteer to be a guinea pig?
Brilliant response Robert! I will not be volunteering as the guinea pig. I remember when I was 14 years old playing in a football match. Our goalie let the ball run through his legs and I slid in to clear it, unfortunately one leg went either side of the post and I suffered the most excruciating pain I have ever felt and 48 years later I remember it like it was yesterday so I would say you never forget crushed nuts so much so that a number of years ago whilst buying ice cream, the vendor asked if I would like crushed nuts to which I replied too late mate already had them! It sort of never leaves your mind!(Jester)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I have been corrected many times on SN - apparently Britain isn't a country; Cappuccino is not a monkey, only a coffee and 'mixing' the two is not funny; Frangio is not a Leftie and there must be dozens more I can't remember. I see no harm if it is done within a polite reply but not in a 'smart-aris' way. If used as an attempt to ridicule.

JJ.
I am very proud to be a "Leftie" and have never claimed otherwise! (Jester)

If I recall what I corrected was you making a comment about "my beloved Labour party". I am far to far to the left to ever vote Labour!

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A quote from Japanese psychiatrist Takahiro Kato on the BBC: Computer games have rewritten the nature of play, he says, with children spending ever more time in controlled virtual environments rather than the unpredictable real world. At the same time the internet, smartphones and social media have made indirect rather than face-to-face contact much more common.

“Now society has no risk, no direct communication,” says Kato. “It’s easy to hit the reset button and reverse and there's low experience of failure.” He thinks that’s detrimental to children’s development, making them less resilient and less adept at interpersonal relationships. Just like you need to be exposed to dirt to develop immunity to diseases you need to be exposed to risk and failure to develop resilience and independence, he adds.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
I am very proud to be a "Leftie" and have never claimed otherwise! (Jester)

If I recall what I corrected was you making a comment about "my beloved Labour party". I am far to far to the left to ever vote Labour!
Your memory is much better than mine Frangy.
There you go - I've been corrected again, chaps - I feel no pain or anguish - just totally amazed my post warranted a reply. It must be a Leftie thing or maybe just to get back on thread and keep up a 'Slanging Match'.....But I could be wrong......

JJ.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Your memory is much better than mine Frangy.
There you go - I've been corrected again, chaps - I feel no pain or anguish - just totally amazed my post warranted a reply. It must be a Leftie thing or maybe just to get back on thread and keep up a 'Slanging Match'.....But I could be wrong......

JJ.
You chose to name me in your post on a public forum and, again, accuse me of posting something I didn't! And then complain when I respond. It takes two!

Most on here, regardless of their political views, seem happy enough to carry on the debate, otherwise it would soon come to a dead stop. Only you seem to feel, like something out of the USSR, that those you disagree with shouldn't be allowed their say. And you call me a Letftie!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Please don't feed the Trolls, it isn't good for the onlookers.

·
Premium Member
1,643 Posts
You chose to name me in your post on a public forum and, again, accuse me of posting something I didn't! And then complain when I respond. It takes two!

Most on here, regardless of their political views, seem happy enough to carry on the debate, otherwise it would soon come to a dead stop. Only you seem to feel, like something out of the USSR, that those you disagree with shouldn't be allowed their say. And you call me a Letftie!
Oh dear!....such a drama queen.....

JJ.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts