Ships Nostalgia banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Found it here scans.library.utoronto.ca/pdf/3/22/.../surgeonslogimpre00abrauoft.pdf
Many thanks for that, my text is very garbled and includes page numbers, page headings and chapter synopses just there in the main text, needs a good deal of editing to make it easy to read.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I have just finished reading this, I wish it had been 3 times as long. Very evocative, form the sea itself to the sheer boredom and heat that can occur, it is wondeful, I have been trawling the net for more information on Batavia, Praus and many other things.

He recommends "The Malayan Archiplego" by Alfred Russel Wallace, I read that a year or so ago and it is wonderful, very easy to read for a Victorian narrative, and again, it can be found as an Ebook.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
There's no doubt that the book, The Surgeon's Log, caused considerable disquiet in Blue Funnel circles and indeed the author himself had misgivings about some of what he had disclosed.
Some of his disclosures are, it seems to me, to be somewhat disingenuous: is it conceivable that a 2nd mate would ask the ship's doctor to hold his hand when he was going ashore in Kobe to call on his beloved Ponta?!?!

(See attachments)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
where is the the book now anybody know ??? makko was tha last one I know of because i sent it to him in mexico and he received it

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a hard back copy of the book which is worth keeping as they are now going for over £30 on Amazon. The book is well worth reading with used paperback copies on Amazon selling for about £10. There is also one 1940 paperbook selling for £5 with free postage on Abe Books and at that price it is worth buying, reading and posting on .

81 - 91 of 91 Posts